• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Really Small Baskets

This has reminded me of a club meeting we had back when club meetings were fun. One officer lived next to a relative, we had the meeting at his house then set up a 6 hole course around the 2 yards. We did random draw doubles and played it all as a par 2 and played 3 rounds to make 18.

One hole teed off along side the garage about 1-2 feet back, the basket was on the other side and the garage door was a mando. That way you couldn't throw over the top.
Another was about 60' long and wide open. The basket was up against a chain link fence. Hitting the fence with your disc or going past it was OB.
Another basket was tucked against low hanging branches, one way to putt into that basket was to ricochet it off a limb. A few tried and some were successful.

The winning score was 2 over.

We are in the wrong forum I think, this is the "Really Small Baskets" discussion and we are talking about "really large baskets"...

My apologies to the O.P.

The O.P. was just goofing around with an idea that wasn't exactly about basket sizes, anyway, so much as playing around with a different putting venue. So the thread had already derailed long before the truly giant baskets appeared.

Where are these??? I wanna play!

I totally recognize that bottom one, the Hippodrome! I think it went extinct a few years ago unfortunately, but I got to play it once about maybe 8 or 10 years ago? Had a blast there. Would definitely piss off those who don't like gimmicks! Some good holes away from the miniature golf area too.

That giant basket was next to the freeway that bordered it. (This is on the other side of the state line/river from Augusta, GA). My old Birdie made a go at it and also cascaded through! (I'm back to putting with more standard putters these days....)

A fun day on that vacation. Also got to hit up the IDGC. Like a religious pilgrimage getting to putt on Steady Ed's first basket and everything! (And the Houck course kicking my ever-loving arse!)

We are in the wrong forum I think, this is the "Really Small Baskets" discussion and we are talking about "really large baskets"...

My apologies to the O.P.

Maybe.

Or maybe some of us consider twice the normal size to be relatively really small.

Speaking on the professional level, how about making the courses longer and harder so that approach shots aren't just short ones where the player can get it so close to the basket a lot of time and players won't end the tourney 40-50 under par ?

Speaking on the professional level, how about making the courses longer and harder so that approach shots aren't just short ones where the player can get it so close to the basket a lot of time and players won't end the tourney 40-50 under par ?

Shrug, I personally don't really care how far under or over par anyone is. I count strokes. Lowest score is the winner. I also have little concern for the problems of a couple hundred golfers. All of my attention, in the disc golf world, is really focused on the other 99.8%,

Jonesboro is long as hell, with all kinds of blind uphill 300+ foot approaches, and you have to make C2 death putts there to have a chance. And -35 won. I think.

You could lower par, I suppose.

Or just enjoy watching the best of the best execute and score.

I was planning on putting in a pitch and putt around my house with those DGA Holes.

But, they were on back order.

One of you guys apparently bought out the stock! DGA Holes for the DG AHoles.

The discs you use are sized proportionally. :D
146185ebc0e2200a00bd8bb7b2699116.jpg

If we use giant discs, all current baskets will be small. Problem solved.

Here's a 14 incher for sale.

10e35980-0e67-43a3-be83-0736e67a5d4c_5.fc78ea660b79b9c94dd29dc0ad3d3357.jpeg

You could lower par, I suppose to better enjoy watching the best of the best execute by knowing when they really score.

But the Winner is the player with the fewest throws plus penalties...

Par is irrelevant to the actual scores, assuming they don't miss* any holes.

*easy to fix this issue, miss a hole, auto DQ

Of course, Steve would have to find a new topic to try and beat to death ...

But the Winner is the player with the fewest throws plus penalties...

Par is irrelevant to the actual scores, assuming they don't miss* any holes.

*easy to fix this issue, miss a hole, auto DQ

Of course, Steve would have to find a new topic to try and beat to death ...

Try telling him the defy of PAR is nebulous.

Jonesboro is long as hell, with all kinds of blind uphill 300+ foot approaches, and you have to make C2 death putts there to have a chance. And -35 won. I think.

You could lower par, I suppose.

Or just enjoy watching the best of the best execute and score.

Great course the Jonesboro one is.... Take that 1st hole, long par 3, after the first shot it sure doesn't look like they're playing lawn darts with where the disc end up. Challenging putts for birdie, it would be more interesting if more holes would come close to that playability. A few of the par 3's the only suspense is to see if they can make a hole in one unfortunately.

Latest posts