• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rebuilding my Fairways

Schook

Bogey Member
The background:
So my fairway setup for the last few years has been Champ 175 Teebird, Star 171 TL, and Star 175 & Pro 170 Leopard. In the past I never really clicked with the Teebird so I threw the TL way more than the Teebird. I added a Star Teebird this spring and really committed to using both. I am now comfortable with my Teebirds and am using them more and more. Recently I lost my TL so looking to replace it.

The Questions:
If I am finally comfortable throwing Teebirds for straight with fade shots, and the Leopards for Hyzer flip straight / turnover shots, will the TL overlap to much? Or should I look to try a Discmania FD for more line shaping?

Thanks much

I bag Champ Teebirds (1 x fresh, 1 x broken in) , Star TLs (1 x broken in, 1 x beat) and Star Leopards (1 x broken in, 1 x beat). Each one covers a different shot type for me but that's my preference.

I think a broken in Star Teebird is very, very close to a newer Star TL and will produce some unwanted overlap until you beat the snot out of a Star TL. I'd look for a used, beat in TL if I were going to add one to your bag. Honestly, a well worn Star TL is the most versatile fairway driver I carry.

You could always start a dx tb cycle until you get one going in star to cover your straighter finishing fairway shots.

I bag Champ Teebirds (1 x fresh, 1 x broken in) , Star TLs (1 x broken in, 1 x beat) and Star Leopards (1 x broken in, 1 x beat). Each one covers a different shot type for me but that's my preference.

I think a broken in Star Teebird is very, very close to a newer Star TL and will produce some unwanted overlap until you beat the snot out of a Star TL. I'd look for a used, beat in TL if I were going to add one to your bag. Honestly, a well worn Star TL is the most versatile fairway driver I carry.

This was the setup I was going for. Just wondered if putting an FD in the bag would give me something different.

Thanks for the input.

I'd either cycle DX like Mike C suggested or go fresh Teebird, beat to straight Teebird, and a flip-able Leopard. TL's are sneaky long and it might be nice to have a lighter one for long, straight goodness depending on how your distance drivers are set up.

Would a Legacy Patriot be to understable for what your looking for? I can shape some pretty good lines with the Patriot. Big fan of the Rival too. Feels like an 11x Teebird.

I ran TL for a while, but once I got a champ leopard it quickly took over that spot. It has similar flight to TL, but I get fewer errant throws ( not sure if this is operator or something about TL).

My FWD stable to understable:
Teebird (champion)
Eagle (champion)
Leopard (champion)
Leopard (pro, pre-numbers)

The Pinnacle Patriot may be your answer.
It flies a lot like a seasoned Teebird. I never clicked with TLs because they felt unpredictable for me. The Pinn Patriot has just enough low speed stability out of the box to reliable, useful for line shaping, and pairing with a straight to fade fairway (teebird/RIVAL)

I have a pretty beat up "Ultra-Long Range Driver" era DX Teebird and it's straight and nothing but. The few stock DX Teebirds I've gotten in the last couple years have been less stable than that one on the first throw...

Or should I look to try a Discmania FD for more line shaping?
This gets my vote. Specifically an S-line FD. Similar feel and flight to a TL, with a little more high speed turn and longer glide, the FD is a great step-in replacement. I pair my S-line with a C-line FD which, dare I say, is like a longer Teebird. :p Plus, as the S-FD beats in a bit it definitely becomes more Leopard like, covering even more lines. I say give it a try. Might be just what you're looking for.

Darn it, I thought this was a course building thread. Was prepared to show ways to bring back erosion/ resurrect thinning fairways.