• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Recommend a straight then fade mid...

A Ti Buzzz fits this description also.

Thanks for the input everyone. I found a somewhat local store that had the Roc3, Shark3 and 1 wasp in stock. I spent a while gripping each one and seeing which felt best. The wasp was the most familiar as it had a similar feeling to the comet, albeit a little "thicker" feeling. All 3 felt fine though and I could have gone in any direction.

I was a little bummed that all discs were 175g and for my mids, I usually throw 172g.

I ended up with the wasp and took it out for a round. Fortunately, we had a intermittent amounts of wind and I was able to try the disc in a variety of situations.

Into a headwind the disc performed quite well. I was happy with the lines it held. Even with a strong headwind the disc went straight with a slight turnover and a nice fade back to where I was hoping it would end up. With a little less wind, it just held a nice line. It was a fine wind performer for my arm.

Without much wind the disc was a little too stable for me. I was hoping it would go out straight and fade at the end but for me, it seemed to have a bit of a turn as soon as it started flight. I might have been able to throw it with a little anny on it but I didn't try as that isn't the shot I want to use the disc for. I'm not sure getting down to 172g would have changed much about this.

So - perfect wind performance for me but a little too stable without the wind....

Hmmmmm - might be a windy day disc that I throw in the bag. Might keep searching for a better daily performance, although i hate to keep buying discs as things are a bit tight at the moment. Maybe I just need to buy a new DX shark a couple times a year and bring in the Wasp on the windy days? Maybe the Shark3 would have been a better choice?

I've read reports that the Shark3 is more stable then the Roc3, although Innova suggests otherwise?

Thanks again for the help

I have a 175g Z Wasp and it behaves exactly like how you described (pretty much straight into a strong headwind with maybe some slight turn and fade, somewhat overstable or straight into a moderate headwind). In calm conditions I'll throw it if I need straight with fade on a low line, but on a higher line it generally fades out way too much too soon to be all that useful.

For straight with fade, I like the Z Buzzz (I think 172g). On a low line there is minimal fade, but give it some more height or a bit of hyzer release and it will fade out more.

Don't know how far you're throwing relative to me, for reference I throw my mids around 230-250ft or so. Also my Z Buzzz is slightly beat and 172g.

In order of least to most beef:

Champ Roc3

Z Wasp

Q Sentinel

I think a Drone would be overkill and wouldn't recommend it unless you are looking for something to throw big hyzer spikes with.

edit - I see you already bought a Wasp, don't worry about 3 grams the disc just needs to be used and beat up a little. I think it will work great for what you are looking for.

Last edited:
Lucid Truth is what I throw for straight-fade. Depending on power/form and how beat the disc is, it may turn into a headwind though.

I throw a Tensor for a hard fade and a Hornet for slightly less fade. The Tensor is in my bag most days, but depending on the course the Hornet may kick it out. Either fill the slot you're describing for me.

Great buy, stick with the Wasp. It will be exactly what you are looking for as it beats in. ~3 grams shouldn't make a difference.

Z wasp is the disc I use for the shot you first described. I have an old beat Z Wasp that I use for dead straight shots with a slight fade(flies like a new Z Buzzz). If the headwind gets a little heavier I'll use a Ti Wasp. I know those aren't in production anymore but they will do the same as a new Z or Cryztal(if you can find them). If the wind is real heavy though(15+ mph winds) I'll go with a Ti drone.

Latest posts