• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Recommend me an approach disc (straight/slight anny shots)

Hankman

Hi,

I'm having real trouble with my approaches where I need to throw either a straight approach or a slight anhyzer one. If I have room for a hyzer or need a bigger anhyzer I can do that pretty well with my 175g Millenium SuperSoft Omega which I use for most of my approaches. Part of it is obviously bad technique when I'm forced to throw too long to use just my wrist but not so long that I could use my driving form (I'd estimate my trouble range to be about 60-150ft). I also have real difficulties getting a comfortable grip for the shots I described since if feel the rim on the Omega is too deep for me (but only for the shots I have difficulties, if it makes any sense). Also, should I try lighter weights?
Thanks for the input.

Ditto with NoLifeLeft: I almost always grab my putter (currently a 174 glow Wizard) that close. I have a decent FH at that range, but have been working on BHing the Wizard more lately so I can do either with similar accuracy and somewhat-mirrored lines.

If I feel like I want some more touch, I grab my Fuse, angle it right, and barely blow on it so it glides in, taking potential skip into account.

e hpp voodoo is what works for me. very easy to get to go straight. stays put on the landing.

a dx aviar is a good putter for the straight shot and also the slight anny and since it doesnt have the bead it is not as stable as even the omega with the little bead but i like throwing dx aviars as drivers and putt with big bead putters

There are a few common approaches you could take to fixing this problem.
#1- make your Omega work. This involves learning new techniques or tuning your existing techniques. Either way this probably isn't going to be a short process but your game will benefit more from this approach... eventually.

#2- beat your Omega until it is less overstable. This will take a while. You can fake it by throwing it into a brick wall, tree, asphalt, etc. but it will not fly as well as a disc that is naturally beat because of a hundred rounds worth of putting and approaching. This option might take even longer than #1 but you might be well on your way to having a beat Omega if you choose to go with option #1. Don't forget to add another new Omega so you can have an overstable compliment to your "new" beat Omega that is less overstable.

#3- buy another Omega in a lighter weight. Lighter discs will go further with the same effort (at least in the 60' to 150' distances we are discussing). Your putting range and approach range should increase a little by going lighter. But wind will also affect your putter a little more if you go lighter and you will have to re-learn your drop rates because the lighter Omega will carry a little better.

#4- try a different disc. You complained about how deep the Omega. Options #1, #2 and #3 above won't fix that. Your Omega has a 1.5cm depth. Putters that are shallower than the Omega:
1.1cm depth
Aerobie Arrow- not a traditional style putter; it has odd flights IMO
DGA Blunt "Blowfly"- can be really floppy; a few people really love this disc but most golfers just don't "get it."
Innova Aviar XD- solid choice. It is a modified Aviar... XD stands for extra distance

1.2cm depth
Discraft Ringer- never thrown it
Innova Classic Roc- in between a putter and a midrange; not a bad choice
Vibram Summit- never thrown it but from what I understand it might be a solid choice for you

1.3cm depth
Discraft Zone- probably too overstable for what you want
Innova Aero- solid choice
Innova Rhyno- great disc but not what you ar elooking for 'cuz it will be too overstable
Latitude 64 Spike- probably too overstable; never thrown one.

1.4cm depth
DGA Reef- same mold as Discraft APX
Discraft APX- the disc I would recommend for you; solid choice
Discraft Magnet- another great option but it feels deeper than the numbers suggest
Innova Dart- great choice
Innova Hydra- probably too beefy for your requirements
Innova Mako- another putter/mid but biased more towards midrange; good disc but might not be the best choice unless you get a lighter weight.
Innova Pig- toooooo overstable
Latitude 64 Pure- another candidate in the "solid choice" category
Latitude 64 Sinus AP- flies similar to your Omega
Latitude 64 Sinus SP- flies similar to your Omega
Quest AT Crossfire- never thrown it
Wham-O 86 Mold- never thrown it but I understand it to be a finessey kind of putter

After looking at the discs that are shallower than the Omega I would have to say the APX/Reef is my recommendation for the shot you want. The Gateway Magic is similar to the APX. The Magic is the same depth as the Omega but feels shallower to me because it does not have a bead. So if you are keen on trying out some new plastic then I would add the Magic to the APX/Reef recommendations. The P&A Aviar is also a good disc that doesn't feel as deep even though it is listed as being the same depth.

There are pros and cons to any of the 4 options I outlined. Choosing the right option for you involves recognizing your priorities and matching those to one of the options above.
If you are getting serious about disc golf and you are competing in/thinking about competing in tournaments then I would strongly suggest option #1.
Feel free to ask for more info.

That was a great write up on putters. Nice work Marmoset !!

After reading this and a few others think i am going to give the reef a shot in the sp

CHEERS - Koffee

From everything said above, the XD seems like a good "instant fix" to something that goes straight to anny. You can do this with any disc from new stable putter to beat understable putter. Its all in a combination of getting the right release angle (right amount hyzer or anhyzer) and or the right amount of nose up/down.

If I were the disc golf doctor, I would prescribe field work with you putters and a weeks worth of putter only rounds. These combined will make you learn to work your putters on the lines you want.

Wow, great post Marmoset. I'll have to look into your recommendations. Thanks for the other answers as well.

marmoset said:

The Spike is the least overstable of Lat 64's P&A line-up. Least to most stability could be expressed as:

Spike>Pure>>>Sinus

I like my Spikes but the Pures "feel" better fwiw. Sinus is indispensable to me as it will come back though this is straying from the OP.

I use my M Ion for this shot all the time. Hit an ace on a short hole with it just last week. :mrgreen:

marmoset said:
There are a few common approaches you could take to fixing this problem.
#1- make your Omega work. This involves learning new techniques or tuning your existing techniques. Either way this probably isn't going to be a short process but your game will benefit more from this approach... eventually.

#2- beat your Omega until it is less overstable. This will take a while. You can fake it by throwing it into a brick wall, tree, asphalt, etc. but it will not fly as well as a disc that is naturally beat because of a hundred rounds worth of putting and approaching. This option might take even longer than #1 but you might be well on your way to having a beat Omega if you choose to go with option #1. Don't forget to add another new Omega so you can have an overstable compliment to your "new" beat Omega that is less overstable.

#3- buy another Omega in a lighter weight. Lighter discs will go further with the same effort (at least in the 60' to 150' distances we are discussing). Your putting range and approach range should increase a little by going lighter. But wind will also affect your putter a little more if you go lighter and you will have to re-learn your drop rates because the lighter Omega will carry a little better.

#4- try a different disc. You complained about how deep the Omega. Options #1, #2 and #3 above won't fix that. Your Omega has a 1.5cm depth. Putters that are shallower than the Omega:
1.1cm depth
Aerobie Arrow- not a traditional style putter; it has odd flights IMO
DGA Blunt "Blowfly"- can be really floppy; a few people really love this disc but most golfers just don't "get it."
Innova Aviar XD- solid choice. It is a modified Aviar... XD stands for extra distance

1.2cm depth
Discraft Ringer- never thrown it
Innova Classic Roc- in between a putter and a midrange; not a bad choice
Vibram Summit- never thrown it but from what I understand it might be a solid choice for you

1.3cm depth
Discraft Zone- probably too overstable for what you want
Innova Aero- solid choice
Innova Rhyno- great disc but not what you ar elooking for 'cuz it will be too overstable

1.4cm depth
DGA Reef- same mold as Discraft APX
Discraft APX- the disc I would recommend for you; solid choice
Discraft Magnet- another great option but it feels deeper than the numbers suggest
Innova Dart- great choice
Innova Hydra- probably too beefy for your requirements
Innova Mako- another putter/mid but biased more towards midrange; good disc but might not be the best choice unless you get a lighter weight.
Innova Pig- toooooo overstable
Latitude 64 Pure- another candidate in the "solid choice" category
Latitude 64 Sinus AP- flies similar to your Omega
Latitude 64 Sinus SP- flies similar to your Omega
Quest AT Crossfire- never thrown it
Wham-O 86 Mold- never thrown it but I understand it to be a finessey kind of putter

After looking at the discs that are shallower than the Omega I would have to say the APX/Reef is my recommendation for the shot you want. The Gateway Magic is similar to the APX. The Magic is the same depth as the Omega but feels shallower to me because it does not have a bead. So if you are keen on trying out some new plastic then I would add the Magic to the APX/Reef recommendations. The P&A Aviar is also a good disc that doesn't feel as deep even though it is listed as being the same depth.

There are pros and cons to any of the 4 options I outlined. Choosing the right option for you involves recognizing your priorities and matching those to one of the options above.
If you are getting serious about disc golf and you are competing in/thinking about competing in tournaments then I would strongly suggest option #1.
Feel free to ask for more info.

good stuff.......make sure that you learn to use a putter early on....you will thank yourself in a year...I had to really backtrack over the past 6 months or so to re-learn the art of the approach.....my scores are dropping! I therw soft APX's for sometime and if you can control them in calmer conditions, then you have a pretty good grasp of form and approach. great disc in the woods as well

I'd have to second the recomendation of the Aero. That disc goes a long way on a little power, and will hold an anny all the way to the ground without straightening out.

Hankman, I use a modified grip when when throwing putters 100'+ because I have big hands and a power grip just doesn't work for me. Under 100' I use a fan grip, but when I need to throw harder I only grip with my pinky and pointer finger and let the middle and ring finger fan out. I don't know if you have the same problem, but I found that a Gateway Element works very well for players with big hands, plus it has plenty of glide and is very straight. Also if you are just having trouble gripping putters, try a mid range, the Meteor is my go to hyzer flip and anhyzer mid range.

Chucktown, that's exactly how I (try) to throw. The modified grip feels and works well (on longer shots) but it's the fan grip and smaller distances I have troubles with, it's like I can't grip the disc because of their depth and it just slides away from my hand. I use the modified grip probably on throws over 150ft; if I try to throw less I'll usually experience a mild grip lock and end up throwing too much to the right so I'm forced to try to use the fan grip on those. I probably should have just posted this on the technique forum since it's more about me sucking than an equipment issue.

Having had to use this shot very often today I have to say it again: The FR ION is the best single disc for this shot, ever. (Deflashed)

Latest posts