• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Recommend me Something New

ken3592

Bogey Member
Truth is, I haven't bought a new disc in forever, and I want to try something new. I'd love to just buy a bunch of random discs to test-run, but I'm tight on cash :cry:

What I throw now: Nuke/Katana, Teebirds, Rocs/Gators, V.P./Warlocks (I've thrown multiple other discs, but this is what I've stuck with so far).

I'm fine in the Max D drive catagory and midrange, but I feel like I need a good control driver and a new putter.

I've never been confident in my putting because I just haven't found a putter that I've gotten hooked to, but the V.P. is the closest I've come so far.
Putters I've thrown are all of Gateway's (except the magic), and the V.P.

As for the control driver, I just don't feel like a Teebird really fits the bill... would you?

I've been interested in trying out an MVP putter, but for some reason I've just felt kind of skeptical about MVP.

Anyone recently tried out a disc that has changed their game? Control drivers and putters, go!

What do you feel that the Teebird is lacking? Want something faster? More stable? More workable? This will be important to the guidance you receive.

I love the teebird for long straight shots. I guess I would say that I'm looking for something more workable and reliable. Something below 10 speed (scale of 1-13) that would stay reliable and fit the bill on a great, controllable driver.

I've considered control drivers all along the stability spectrum: Trident, Predator, Tracker, Eagle, Striker, River, or even a Leopard. (I've never thrown any of these)

ken3592 said:
I guess I would say that I'm looking for something more workable and reliable. Something below 10 speed (scale of 1-13) that would stay reliable and fit the bill on a great, controllable driver.
That sounds like a solid description of an Orion LF.

NoLifeLeft said:
ken3592 said:
I guess I would say that I'm looking for something more workable and reliable. Something below 10 speed (scale of 1-13) that would stay reliable and fit the bill on a great, controllable driver.
That sounds like a solid description of an Orion LF.

I was thinking that or an eagle x. Both are more workable. OLF is at or slightly under speed 10. Eagle is the same speed as your teebird. Of the ones you listed specifically, the eagle, predator, and leopard are must tries imo.

Yeah OLF should work but a QOLS max weight is great too. Try a max weight Anode. That is a very different putter but the drives :-D What's your complaint about the VP? Which direction should your putting putter change flight, shape and tackiness wise?

What exactly is the difference between an Eagle X and A teebird?

As for the V.P. I really have no complaints about it. I like the way it flies, although for shortish putts (maybe 30') or so, it could use a touch more glide. And for drives, it almost seems to have a little too much LSS and a tad too much high speed turn for my tastes. And I've always been looking for that rim that just fits my hand better. Would that be an Anode? Soft or Regular?

Jokeri is beefier and closer to the VP but faster and less fading. Rhyno is about as slow and less fading by very little and is the closest disc in flight toward less overstability. The VP should not turn without stiff headwinds. I'm thinking of unclean releases or wrist rolls, perhaps arm breaking low=OAT. VP is the third beefiest putter i can think of now. Pig and Zone are more overstable. ESP and Z Zone should resist turning more but they are meathooks and the fade is evident in putts too. Zones are way thinner.

The Anode flies very differently to the VP. A little thinner way faster easier to get to turn with OAT and way more glide and comparatively no fade whatsoever. Totally different animal requiring a different putting style and aiming. I'd get a max weight for straight drives. Soft grips better tackiness wise. No joy for rain.

Eagle X 175 from last year was super beefy. An older broken in 166 fades around the same as the TB and is much longer than the supameaty 175. The 166 flies farther than my 150 TB which is noticeably longer than 175 TBs.

Latest posts