• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Regionally Thrown Discs

With all the Stan Mcdaniel courses around here it seems that many people throw Rhyno's.

Kind of interesting....I remember when the buzzzz was considered a fad disc. Now they are a staple of most areas.

It's mainly Innova around here and you'll probably find more people with Condors here than anywhere else.

Wow I really had to think hard for this one since I only get to play with the league guys for the most part and occasionally see casual players discs. Then it suddenly dawned on me.

Sidewinders.

It seems to be the #1 backhand disc around these parts for newer players and they are always losing them and posting about it on our message boards and trying to get me to order some for them.

For newer forehand players of course its Boss's another disc I wont/rarely order for tournaments and other payout.

It does however make me happy every time I see a stranger with a disc with one of my tournament stamps on it! :hfive:

Nice Topic ........ Too me it seems like it depends on the local pro or store that has the most influence.

For instance.....

InAmes Iowa the local Vendor (WakPak) seems to carry a nice mix but seems like one of the few in the area that carry a solid amount of Lat64 and Vibram .... so you tend to see more Lat64 and vibram than you do a few miles a way in DSM.

In the Twin Cities it seems like its a Discraft Love fest ....... for good reason seeing how Timmy Gill is a Discraft Pro and has helped catapult the sport in the Minnesota.

Eastern Iowa seems to have a strong influence in Discraft as well seeing how Discraft Pro Adam Olsen (AO) lives in Cedar Rapids.

The Quad Cities is home to Iron Lion DG Supply has one of the most open minded and progressive owners in the sport. Chase seems to stock anything and everything; as well as a massive stock of collectible plastic. I see more CE plastic in the QC than anywhere else in Iowa (Due to the owner being a collectable trader so its usually in stock). The QC is also home to Mark Steddom a Team Millennium sponsored pro so there is an abundance of Millennium plastic being thrown as well (and heavily stocked at Iron Lion because of this). Another thing you see a lot of in the QC is fast wide rimmed drivers. The busiest and heavily used course by the recreational play in the QC is a wide open bomber course.

In Des Moines we have a little of everything, but the one thing that really stands out seems to be the use of the Gateway Wizard. A partial contributor to this is that a local player is associated with Dave McCormack and is able to get black with gold foil stamped custom Tigerhawk (Iowa Hawkeye Logo) Wizards .... these have been a huge hit so some diehard Hawkeye fans have switched to the Wizard just because of this. Our local vendor is a little on the old school thought and mainly stocks Innova and mostly the standard or most used molds (Roc, Teebird, Wraith, etc) he has a very limited stock of Discraft and Gateway (mainly Buzzz' and Gateway Putters. It seems like Des Moines is the last place to hop on any bandwagon due to lack of availability. It seems like it took most of the summer before the Nuke became the rage and I remember when it was like watching paint dry before the Buzzz (mainly Cryztal) became a more typical sight. Discraft (sadly) is poorly represented and brands like Lat64 and Millennium are practically unheard of.

Here it seems a lot of people are using stuff that's super fast, Wraith, Boss, Katana, Destroyer, Nuke, and such. Most people have a buzzz' though also.

^^^ this .... every kid i run into in or near the city of grand rapids has either a r-pro boss or a f*in nuke...:wall: i can throw my putter just as far as they can throw that stuff....:doh:
i carry a destroyer but only use it on max d holes where i can hyzer flip the sucka...

these guys do love their buzzz and aviars though...

Maryland seems to be all Innova all the time....

I'll see some buzzzs in noob's bags but there are only a couple guys that throw discraft ... and theyre all really good. Discraft gets a lot of trash talking around here for some reason.

On a recent trip to Kentucky nobody knew what my ION was....I think they all thought it was some retarded beginner disc or a dog toy....I swear they were snickering behind my back.

My buddy that I got drinking the Ion kool-aid was throwing his sweet hazard orange soft all around Winthrop after the USDGC, he said people were looking at him like he had some Aerobie or something. Every other hole people were like "what the hell did you throw?" and he was like "Ion, beetchez." He said he damn near aced the bamboo hole, throwing it round down the middle.

Gotta love being "that guy." :)

Lately I've had in the past few rounds people ask what the core was. Last night I had a few guys throw it around to each other and tell me how much they thought it was a funny looking buzzz.

I get the 'Ion reaction' when I throw my Ion, but more so when I use my 86 Softie. At first because it's black, then because they realize it's a Frisbee.

I've also gotten the reaction from doing upshots with my Gopher. People can't believe something shaped like a big rec frisbee can beat out their cobra and buzz upshots. I'm all like "Stop throwin' mids! Lids are king, bitches!"

So I gather Discmania hasn't really penetrated the market over there yet... =)

So I gather Discmania hasn't really penetrated the market over there yet... =)

There are starting to catch on the Twin Cities. Not huge yet but I have seen a few more around lately. I think it is mainly from their more classical logo look instead of the monstrous, Halloween looking stamps they had when they first came out.

Hint to manufactures - For the most part we are more interested in unique dyes and colors that are easily visible and eye appealing than "cool" graphics. There is a reason there is such a huge market for Acetone. We can tolerate older Innova graphics because they are "classic" but I have not seen a graphic lately that would make me want to buy a disc.

Out in SF there's a big variance of discs thrown, even outside of discraft and innova. If I had to pick a disc that I've seen thrown the most it's probably the Katana, though not by much.

A more unique answer is simply DGA :) I've seen more people out here throw DGA than anywhere else. Squall, Hurricane, and Rogue are popular.

Out in SF there's a big variance of discs thrown, even outside of discraft and innova. If I had to pick a disc that I've seen thrown the most it's probably the Katana, though not by much.

A more unique answer is simply DGA :) I've seen more people out here throw DGA than anywhere else. Squall, Hurricane, and Rogue are popular.

I threw my hurricane yesterday on 16C at Golden Gate Park...hit the damn pole!

I am diggin that disc (as well as the others you mention).

Hint to manufactures - For the most part we are more interested in unique dyes and colors that are easily visible and eye appealing than "cool" graphics. There is a reason there is such a huge market for Acetone. We can tolerate older Innova graphics because they are "classic" but I have not seen a graphic lately that would make me want to buy a disc.

Funny, I asked Discmania about that and they said the graphics were demanded by the retailers. Shows what they know.

And just so it's out there, the classic looking ones came first, graphics were added later due to demand. They may have reached your parts (and many others) in the wrong order though.

Funny, I asked Discmania about that and they said the graphics were demanded by the retailers. Shows what they know.

And just so it's out there, the classic looking ones came first, graphics were added later due to demand. They may have reached your parts (and many others) in the wrong order though.

I am sure younger players and kids who are just starting out are like OMG thats awesome. I mean the first disc I bought was a DX Teerex because it had a teerex on it!

Latest posts