• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Regionally Thrown Discs

So I gather Discmania hasn't really penetrated the market over there yet... =)

PDs are gaining steam and Ive seen a lot of the putters, but not much else beside that. But like I said above, everyone in Maryland is an Innova fanboy. The only people that aren't are either:
1. active on DG forums and know about other companies or
2. not from MD :p

I am sure younger players and kids who are just starting out are like OMG thats awesome. I mean the first disc I bought was a DX Teerex because it had a teerex on it!

The first disc I bought 10 years ago was a #1 Driver because it had a picture on it that said it went straight ........ I also had a Rubber Putter that showed how it always went in the chains ......... f'ing liars :p

Oh yeah. In MN I feel DisCraft has the leading edge. Alot of Buzzz in the air. Other brands are starting to close the gap but I still see more DisCraft. I myself, really like DC but others fill the gaps.

For some reason in the Pacific Northwest you see a ton of players using the XD not only for putting but upshots as well. Also I've seen more and more Sharks, probably since Innova sponsered player and all around good guy Kyle Crabtree moved to the Seattle area.

PDs are gaining steam and Ive seen a lot of the putters, but not much else beside that. But like I said above, everyone in Maryland is an Innova fanboy. The only people that aren't are either:
1. active on DG forums and know about other companies or
2. not from MD :p

I hope those are P2s, otherwise they're still just throwing Aviars. =)

All I can say is that Discraft has the upper hand in Chattanooga and Innova definitely rules around Atlanta. Once you start playing with people who have played for a while I think you see a lot of the same discs no matter where you are.

you can't play a round with more than one person in New England without seeing a Vibram putter at some point.

i also want to know why everyone under the age of 21 i 've ever played with has mako but i've also never seen them throw it... weird...

All I can say is that Discraft has the upper hand in Chattanooga and Innova definitely rules around Atlanta. Once you start playing with people who have played for a while I think you see a lot of the same discs no matter where you are.

Yeah Innova definitely fills most bags in metro Atlanta. Could be because of the proximity to the strong Innova presence in SC and around Augusta, but I don't really know if that makes much difference.

At my local course I see a lot of Rhyno putters. I also see a surprising number of Destroyers and T-Rexes in people's bags. I recently broke down and got a Destroyer, and I guess it's a pretty good disc, but I don't really see why they're so popular. There was a Nuke craze around here recently, right after the Katana craze, but I think those are beginning to die off.

You're also likely to see the recent years' Discraft Ace Race discs mixed into people's bags, since the Oregon Park Ace Race in Cobb County, GA sold 100 player's packs this year and around 60 last year. :D

in NE wisconsin, all i see is Bosses, beasts, or maybe a wraith. about 80% of people only use one disc, that being some overstable high speed wide rim driver that they can only throw n00n hyzers with.

round here there seems to be fads.....there was the ION fad...the R Pro fad...we are full on in the midst of the LAT64 and Katana fad....but I'm uspecting the latter 2 might last a little longer than the others which have come and gone.

in NE wisconsin, all i see is Bosses, beasts, or maybe a wraith. about 80% of people only use one disc, that being some overstable high speed wide rim driver that they can only throw n00n hyzers with.

Not to necessarily make fun of you or any serious DGers in WI, but when I was last out to Madison (and I realize that I am speaking of SE WI), rec players were giving me weird looks because I wanted to play from the long tees. Apparently those rec players with the superfast, wide-rimmed drivers only play from the short tees.

Again, not overtly making any statement here about Minnesotans, but I rarely see anyone in the Twin Cities area playing from the short tees. I guess if anything, that means that they only have further to go when they throw their Nuke way off target.

round here there seems to be fads.....there was the ION fad...the R Pro fad...we are full on in the midst of the LAT64 and Katana fad....but I'm uspecting the latter 2 might last a little longer than the others which have come and gone.

I think this fad is pretty much everywhere where there are players who have played less than ten years. If you cannot remember how great the Valkyrie, Cyclone, and TeeBird were when they came out, you cannot appreciate a well designed and thought-out disc.

Not necessarily saying the Katana, Boss, and Nuke were not well thought-out discs, but it makes it hard for newer players appreciate the necessity and benefits of staying accurately in the fairway, even if it is only 80% of the distance potential of these newer discs.

Thank goodness there is also a healthy interest in the River and Ascent. Even if a player ultimately does not like that particular disc, no doubt they have heard the comparisons and differences to TeeBirds and Eagles and may be smart enough to give those discs a try.

I think Condors go up to 200 grams, my buddy had one when we started back around 1994.

Sure do. They go down in weight to about 140g, those are mainly used in Throw-Run-Catch competitions. I've never seen someone use one out on the course that's less than 185g.