• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Retired Discs?

Yup, I do. I just hate the thought of tossing a former ace disc into a pond or something.

I always have also, but today I aced with my MONEY beat Roc and was a little reluctant to hang it up. Tradition is tradition, so I've started moving it's backup a little further up the line.

I retired a few. First putter ace, ace on my birthday, ace on Christmas Eve. Then I realized, why stick a sweet flying disc on the wall just because of an ace? After that I kept them in the bag. I have lost two ace discs, and that kinda sucks, but that's the risk I take throwing any disc.

I also quit letting people sign my ace discs as well. I think it looks ugly and half the time you get the guys who scribble "Lucky f***ing a**hole!" or some other nonsense.

Mr.SmOOOth said:
I retired a few. First putter ace, ace on my birthday, ace on Christmas Eve. Then I realized, why stick a sweet flying disc on the wall just because of an ace? After that I kept them in the bag. I have lost two ace discs, and that kinda sucks, but that's the risk I take throwing any disc.

I also quit letting people sign my ace discs as well. I think it looks ugly and half the time you get the guys who scribble "Lucky f***ing a**hole!" or some other nonsense.
You make some good points. Fortunately, all of my aces (4) have been with discs that are easily replaced. They were all fairly new drivers. If I hit one with my perfectly seasoned Roc or my Putter, I'd have to take a picture of the disc to hang on the wall, because those discs are staying in my bag till they snap in half.

I have retired 2 discs, my very first (z wasp with a yinyang flydye) and my very first(and only) ace, a white 169g orion LS that i got to throw about 2 rounds, something that i went and replaced the minutes after hanging it.

I think if an ace is special enough to you, and it feels right to hang it up or set it aside in a trunk somewhere to be hauled out every now and then for a look, then do it. Otherwise, why not keep throwing it?

What's the consensus in ball golf? I'm willing to bet ace balls get bronzed or something, because their aces are much rarer, it seems.

Haven't retired any of my ace discs. I didn't even know people did that until I started reading this forum. Seems pointless. Heck, some of my ace discs went on to become multiple-ace discs. Sure I've lost a few, but who cares?

I have lost one of my ace discs and traded the other.

Lots of golfer will get a picture of the hole and a plaque with their name and date and hole stats and affix the ball to that,

I have retired every single ace disc. Granted, I only have 7 of them. So not too many. Most of them have been putter shots. So not to much attachment to the disc for any particular shot. Usually, if a hole is under 300, I am throwing a putter. I think only two of the seven have been with midranges. One was so completely lucky its not even funny. I step up to the tee with a proto s-element in hand. I wanted to throw it dead straight...well I slip on the teepad and the disc comes out early. But...somehow the disc flattens out of a severe hyzer and turns all the way over and comes back to the basket and slam...ace. Completely ridiculous shot.

I keep throwing them, discs are to be thrown until they are beat to death, get multiple aces and keep on trucking!

The thing is, I always see people losing their ace discs and get really pissed off, because they know they aren't gonna get 'em back. I'm a competetive person, but the reason I play disc golf is essentially to have one hell of a good time. If I'm lucky enough to get an ace, shit, might as well draw all over the disc and say, "you're done!", and get another disc. This last Roc was the hardest for me to do that with, it's usually some driver that I can replace without effort, but those money Rocs are precious. I'm never going to be a Feldberg, Climo or Jenkins so I might as well just enjoy the sport for what it is...one hell of a good time. So I might lose a stroke or two because I don't have that Roc, but at least I'll always have that Roc. I'm glad to hear the different views on this, I've been curious.

I'm off to a tourney, wish me luck on the acepot! :)

Two ace discs are hung up for myself. A custom dyed Budwieser Z-Wasp (don't throw wasps anymore) and a custom dyed Champ Rhyno w/ two aces on it. I had a different champ Rhyno w/ two other aces on it that I lost and wasn't going to do that again.

pd

Absolutely not!

Why would a take valuable disc that performs well for me out of the bag?

Instead of losing a good disc to the wall for sentimental reasons I continue to get birdies, save pars and maybe get more aces with the same disc. I want the discs that perform best in my bag helping to win money at tourneys. They can't do that if they're retired.

You guys that retire your discs probably collect spoons from different states and put dishes on your walls in the kitchen too.

I hung up the disc I got at my first tournament, and I will most likely hang up my first Ace disc, but other than that, I will keep throwing them. I think the first one is cool to retire, but after that, I don't see any reason to hang them up unless it was from something really special.

BIF13 said:
I keep throwing them, discs are to be thrown until they are beat to death, get multiple aces and keep on trucking!

There it is...only thing that makes any sense....

But of course, whatever floats your boat.

:D

stoneman said:
BIF13 said:

There it is...only thing that makes any sense....
Not so fast there, buddy.

stoneman said:
whatever floats your boat.

That's the only answer that makes sense. People will do with their 'bees whatever they want to, from one end of the memorabilia spectrum to the other, and it is entirely their prerogative. The reason why those cute little quotes- like the boat floating one- exist and are so popular is because they are true.

I actually hope my competitors retire their ace discs. It gives me an advantage.

Suppose you were a basketball coach and you have your best five players on the court. Just before halftime your starting point guard heaves a desperation shot from 3/4 court and it goes in as the halftime buzzer sounds. Are you going to say "well son that was a fine shot, so fine that I'm going to retire you. So for the rest of the season I will try different second string players to find one to replace you."

I don't care what amazing shot I made with a disc it stays in the bag until it gets so beat it's no longer useful, then and only then does it get retired. I have some discs that have multiple aces and when they're retired they may get voted into the hall of fame but as long as they are working they stay in the active roster.

Latest posts