• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] RHFH Approach Disc

Guys,
Thanks for all the feedback and opinions!

No, the Harp is not as OS and dumpy as a Zone. I read your post and I understand what you are asking for. It's right in between a Zone and a Suspect, imho.

Ah, that makes sense, thanks for the clarification.

Are you forehand dominant? Given the pictures, it seems like a RHBH throw would give better results. Perhaps a straight midrange with which you can give a soft hyzer just over the water fading gently to the pin. Anyone else think the same thing?

I am backhand dominant, but throw flicks for approaches and utility. Unfortunately, the slope to the left side of the basket is steep enough that any skip would result in a bad roll away (at best). Worst case scenario is a roll all the way into the drink at the bottom of the hill...

I was going to say Buzzz too, though the thought of a headwind makes me change my mind. A plain ol' Z Buzzz is a very versatile forehand approach tool. With a headwind, you could try a Buzzz OS?

I don't think a Buzz is stable enough for this application. I have not tried a Buzz OS, but I have also tried a Drone, with infrequent success.

A majority of my sidearm approach shots are with a Pig or a Mortar. If I want more skip and/or more distance I go with the Recon Mortar. If I want little to no skip I use a Pig. I throw the Pig sidearm a lot more than backhand. I prefer the Factory Store "Stiff" Pro Pigs. I've been experimenting with my Frontline-X Mortar to try to replace my Pig (to carry less molds). It skips less than the Recon but more than a Pig. I prefer to flick beadless discs so I like my setup.

I hadn't considered a Pig... I bagged one when they first came out but didn't really find a spot for it back then. My game has changed considerably since then, so it may be worth re-visiting. Thanks for the suggestion.

I bag a suspect for longer approaches 150-225ish, a BT Medium harp for shorter approaches <150 and a Fuzion Justice for utility approaches. Combined with a beat in Judge that is my throwing putter I cover almost any shot I can face. Of those 4 discs you will never find me without the Suspect/Harp/Judge. The Justice could probably go but it is fun to throw.

I bag a Lucid Judge for throwing and short FH approaches (<75'). I actually pulled a Justice out of the lake when I was fishing for the Felon I threw in there... Seems like it would have limited applications, but I haven't thrown it yet. Seems like the Harp is a good option for this specific application. I'll just have to try it out. I don't want to bag a disc for one throw on one hole, so we'll see if I can use it elsewhere as well.

Thanks again for all the feedback

I think if I was forced to pick one between the Justice/Harp/Suspect lineup it would definitely be the Harp. Awesome disc that changed my upshot game.

I just started incorporating FH approaches into my game this year. I've had an increase in fairway hole outs because of it. All with an Envy. I tried more OS stuff, but they all required too much flex for a lot of my shots.

I use Harps, and to great effect. They are amazing BH or FH and can cover a lot of lines. I have a BT Soft from the first run that never has left my bag, and is still more OS than my VIP or TP. They are just fantastic. Bought one on a whim and some it was so good for flicks under 250 I could never quit it.

The BT Soft and medium are the best, but the VIP isn't bad, just straighter and the Tp has good glide, so I like it off the tee.

How about a classic slammer? Beat it in over time and it wouldn't be quite so OS.

That's a great suggestion. Only threw one a few times, but extremely HSS without a big fade to match. Felt as HSS as a Harp/Zone, but I didn't get to throw it into any winds to fully test that.

Envy or beat up Pro-d Zone. I use these interchangeably for this shot as my primary approach (I throw mostly backhand except for approach where mostly forehand) up to about 200. Then i step up to a mid or fairway.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

I actually found a Lucid Slammer on the course the other day (no one ever returned my calls) & I picked up a couple Harps from the Marketplace in Medium & TP, so we'll see what I can do with those.

I'm also playing a couple tourneys in the coming weeks and get a disc with entry, so I'll probably pick up a Gator, Mortar, or Pig.

Keep an eye on the Marketplace for the ones that don't make the cut. ;)

I'm a Drone whore so take that with a grain of salt, but perhaps a slower mid? Will hold up to wind better [suspect] and will be easier to range/stretch out [zone].

About once a month I will play "forehand only" rounds (except for putting). As my bag changes due to lost discs, I like to know which discs I can currently throw best. I have two that I love for shots <150 ft. Discraft X Stratus is the most versatile disc in my bag. While I use it predominantly off the tee when I need straight line distance RHBH, it's also super sweet as a forehand option too. My plain ol' DX Shark can work magic when thrown forehand. I can make it turn, and then it always has a touch of reliable fade at the end that I can always count on. I usually reach for the Shark first.

I wish my forehand buddies would read this thread. All I ever seen them use on approaches are destroyers and firebirds :lol:

I use a Champ Gator for FH duties when I'm short of Firebird range, all the way down to very short shots. Mortar if you're into the beadless feel.

I like to use a 150 Z Flick, it will go along way with just a flick of the wrist. I also have a SP Breaker for closer shots. I recently tried a Recycled Shaman for straighter to flippy FH upshots. It feels good in the hand and would be good for tight shots.
I've tried harps and just didn't like the way they come out of my hand.

I've never thrown a Harp, but now I want one. :\

That is a correct response.

I have seldom gone from not knowing about a thing to adoration that quickly.

Heard about it on a podcast on the way to MN, went to GGGT. Got Harp. Went to course, love Harp.