• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rhyno's

mickas1

Eagle Member
I've been playing with wizards and magics for a while now but now since winter is over and the putters are being used for a lot more drives again the wind is starting to effect them. I use the magics for straight shots or turnovers in low wind conditions up to 300 feet and the wizards for shots that need to hyzer or shots in a slight wind up to 300 feet. The problem is that the wizard is having trouble fading now with the spring winds, i was wondering if a rhyno would be a good disc to try to replace it with (for now).

Also, which plastic would be best, i like the feel of the pro plastic but i'm not sure how long that takes to break in, what's my best bet here (please don't recommend champ or star).

I also throw all max weight if that helps at all.

Replace it with a VP man. Longer than a Rhyno, but with the same reliable fade. Plus they are indestructible and......AWESOME. Ok I am biased, but really, try a VP. You won't be unhappy you did.

Champ Rhynos are money for overstable driving, but expect a pretty big dropoff in your distance from the Wiz. I haven't thrown too many pro's, but I believe they beat into reliable straight drivers quickly.

peppermack, i knew you would find this thread, i have three vps already, i just do not like the feel of them when i am putting (mainly the material), i am VERY picky about how the disc feels and the vps dont cut it when it comes to putting. forgot to mention the rhyno would double as a windy day putter...

peppermack said:
...Get some Pro's, they are really nice!
I never found the Pros as overstable as DX or especially Champ. I've never tried the Stars.
It sounds like you want a Champ for driving but a DX or Pro for putting.

Thanks for the advice guys, and dont get me wrong peppermack, i love the vp, i just dont like how i cant work a thumb groove into it. By the way, pardon my lack of punctuation, im working from a phone.

I havnt used any current production pros but I carry a pro-line rhyno and a stiff champ rhyno. The proline has a slight fade at the end,good for putting in the wind and great for wen I ned it to stick on an upshot. I use the champ for driving and a reliable fade. Also has a sligh skip to it if placement isn't a big factor. I normally put with pures though so the rhynos are for windy days,driving and upshots.

btw I tried the vp as well and I'm the same way with liking the thumb trac on the rhyno. It's salow and just feels good. I'd also try the pro pig as well man

Rhynos lack the glide the Wizards have, but IMO are more forgiving of OAT / sloppy form when driving.

I've been playing putter rounds in 20mph winds with my wizards lately and I haven't come across a drive they couldn't handle with a little extra hyzer. Have you tried this during the windier days?

Putting, rhynos will be less affected by wind, but if I read the wind well I do ok with the wizards. I don't putt well with rhynos anymore due to being used to a disc with more glide.

I get better results modyfing my technique with my wizards than I do switching back to Rhynos.

In order of least to most stable, I would rate rhynos pro > star > champ. I have some of each for trade if you're interested.

I really love Rhynos. Pro Rhynos are great, but if you are looking for something w/ a good amount of fade, go with a Champ. If you can find them, I would get a gummy one and a stiff one. You can really lay into the stiff ones, and the gummy ones absolutely die on impact with anything, while still retaining some of the fade of the stiffer ones (and much more than the Pros).

I can't stand the Stars. They are not reliably stable, probably b/c they have significant dome (for a Rhyno). This can be a problem depending on the grip you use as well. Their considerable drop rate hides the fact that if you turn it over, it stays turned over.

DX flies great, but I don't think that it does anything for you that a Champ + Pro won't give you. If I putted w/ a Rhyno, I'd putt with the DX, though.

If you have room in the bag for it, my suggestion is 2 max weight Champs, one stiff (opaque), one gummy (clear), and one lighter Pro.

VP is shorter for the same power than a Rhyno. I love and use them both for different occasions. VP loses D with the harder and earlier fade which cuts down flight time. Rhyno glides a hair more. But a broken in Sinus AP flies farther than either of these just between those two in HSS and LSS. Sinus AP starts out very close to a VP when new. Mind you I usually don't get as far with putters and when I do it's with a faster and much less HSS Spike. I have thrown Wizards 300' but it's very streaky. Usually I'm 250' max on the course and 260 or 270' on a good day in the field.

Rhyno in Champ will flex out of an anny when thrown high. Pro soft blend Rhynos bend hard down on the edge with hits that aren't so tough. They also change flight fast into new S Wizard HSS and LSS. Then even less HSS. Yuck. Rhynos in Champ come as hard and opaque at least and soft and clear at least. Don't know if the clearness mixes in either hardness. Soft Champs are durable and grip ok and won't skip as much as hard ones. With medium soft landings without great speeds they often stop at or close to where they touch the ground.

All Rhynos work fine for putting even in the wind.

I love champ rhynos for putting inside 30' they are money. for diving i have recently switched to champ spider.