• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Salient Discs Beacon Basket

It does. But I'm not sure what that means. It's much clearer to state something like "PDGA approved for National Tour events" (or something like that). I know a couple of course owners who are quite upset that their courses can't host A-tier events.

a cursory google search indicates that DGA labeling a basket as "approved for PDGA championship level tournament play" is the usual, and they're pretty well known. innova doesn't even mention approval on their site for the targets i saw.

i don't see a problem with the description, but i guess that's why we have many people on the forum who see things differently. perhaps explicitly stating that it is PDGA approved is what's in order, i dunno. that's the only way it could be clearer, IMO, though it is fairly implicit.

That's a good looking basket!

Agreed! :thmbup:

My question would be in regards to the plasma cutting in the band, is that customizable to the location/park they will be installed or will everyone say "SALIENT"? Would be pretty nice touch if they can be custom ordered with the park or course name on them.

Agreed! :thmbup:

My question would be in regards to the plasma cutting in the band, is that customizable to the location/park they will be installed or will everyone say "SALIENT"? Would be pretty nice touch if they can be custom ordered with the park or course name on them.

Good question, I will get the answer for you. If I had to take a guess I would say at least one side of the band would still say salient but let me check on that one for you.

Also in regards to the tournaments a basket can be used for. The beacon basket is rated at the highest PDGA approval. In my mind that would me it could be used for any tournament. If that's not the case than the PDGA should look into making another category for those types of baskets.

In the description having it listed as a championship level basket that in turn means its PDGA approved. I know it does not say that exactly but that is what that means. In my mind a company shouldn't write that on there website because they don't know if it will be approved as such. I will still look at getting it changed to say PDGA Approved Championship Level Basket.

Gonna offer custom laser cutting? Course name, hole number etc...

If you cut out the middle man and bought directly from Frolfware, you could likely get anything you wanted on a basket or a set.

This basket looks great, I was just checking it out on the site last night!! I agree that the course name and hole number would be huge, could prevent some theft or at least give an easy way to find a stolen basket. I imagine those types of customizations would come with a hefty price tag though.

Hi everyone,
The bands can be custom however salient will still be on the basket in some form or fashion. Also custom colors can be done if an entire set of baskets is ordered.

Maybe I'm over thinking this but I feel like putting lighter weight chains on the outside would only allow for more bounce outs off the pole. There's less to slow the disc down quickly to prevent a hard hit against the pole. I like the chain rack, but I think the same heavy gauge of chain all around would be a better design.

every basket design favors certain putting styles. for instance one like this with the lighter chains would probably favor the softer putter and punish the harder putter.

i see several problems in the design of this basket.
1) The Salient name in the top band. it will not take long for sharp edges to form.
2) The links at the top of the basket are no good. That style of linking has a swinging effect not a knocking down effect.
3) The chains are all connected at the bottom together, further enhancing the swinging effect. The chains should have a knocking down effect not a swing. EVERY company out there seems to be lost on that except Arroyo.
4) with the chain link setup and the lighter chains, slide throughs are going to be extremely common on this basket, especially for people who putt with some force.

I find this basket especially funny when considering the "hippy engineering" comments. This basket doesn't do anything outside of the norm. And really is unimpressive besides looking pretty.
Basket design has barely done any advancing in the last 30+ years. Its essentially been add more chains or putt them on sliders. the Arroyo Vortex is the only basket I have seen come out with an attempt to change and improve the design. (they are awesome btw).
There is alot of untapped designs out there that would work so much better than the current common model. But until there is money in baskets there is no point really.

I think that wear on the lettering would be of minimal concern. Just don't aim for the band.

:p

I agree, how do you really think that it will form sharp edges from pieces of plastic and rubber hitting the powder coated top to that basket? I think that is a minimal concern. And I've never thrown at an Arroyo basket, so I can't comment either way on the "pushing down" effect, but if this is similar to most baskets, then the "swinging" should be quite familiar for most players. I do also like the basket itself, I feel like it will at least HELP to prevent bounces from the bottom of the basket. It may not be the best thing on the market, but it looks pretty sweet to me, and I would say it's competitively priced as well!

I agree, how do you really think that it will form sharp edges from pieces of plastic and rubber hitting the powder coated top to that basket?

its all steel. steel rusts when not taken care of...for my experience I would say 1 out of every 10 parks (being generous here) actually takes care of their baskets. think innova basket, they shave off plastic all the time once they been on the course a couple years.
additionally its called "chuckers"...maybe you're lucky enough to not have bad ones, but around here they are freaking ridiculous with their destruction. in time the powder coating will wear away and then it will start. (think long term not short term...its a "permanent" basket.) If the park doesnt take care of them they will rust and form unintended edges.

And I've never thrown at an Arroyo basket

Are you anywhere near this course? Leila Arboretum (if you go play it I suggest finding someone who knows the course to show you around, when my buddies and I played we did alot of extra walking to find the baskets and tees.

Last edited:
I have not checked that course our yet, but I will have to. I'm not really "near" that course, but it will make for a nice day trip. Either way, as I stated, it may not be the best basket on the market, but I like the design better than most of what is available right now.

I seems too much like the Innova with the chastity belt and straight down chains. Not too much improvement. Why no sliders? Why no cross hatching on the chains or connections between them? Why oh why a chastity belt that rejects shots and doesn't direct them down? If the belt was slanted inward, they would. Love the color and laser cutting. Lots of customization potential there.

its all steel. steel rusts when not taken care of...for my experience I would say 1 out of every 10 parks (being generous here) actually takes care of their baskets. think innova basket, they shave off plastic all the time once they been on the course a couple years.
additionally its called "chuckers"...maybe you're lucky enough to not have bad ones, but around here they are freaking ridiculous with their destruction. in time the powder coating will wear away and then it will start. (think long term not short term...its a "permanent" basket.) If the park doesnt take care of them they will rust and form unintended edges.

Are you anywhere near this course? Leila Arboretum (if you go play it I suggest finding someone who knows the course to show you around, when my buddies and I played we did alot of extra walking to find the baskets and tees.

Can you give some info on your putting style?

Spin or push? anhyzer straight or hyzer?

Latest posts