• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Salient HELIX Bag

I may be bashed for pointing out but ScottP was not involved with PF or Salient when we launched Contender.

For those wondering:
1. All contender bags produced by physical flight and salient were all made in the USA by the same company, same materials, same quality.
2. Catalyst was made as a affordable bag for players to enjoy that couldn't afford a more expensive bag. (We've had very few returns)
3. We appreciate the support of all of the players at tourneys, on our Facebook, on DGCR and emails that we've received over the past year.

For those that read this thread please do not let the thoughts of some blind you from the fact that competition in manufacturing is a great thing. More choices, lower prices and better products is a result.

The main reason I am posting though is to publicly thank ScottP for taking the reigns and building a foundation of positivity for Salient which is much needed partly due to my own faults on this forum.

Back to Helix!! Scott's been testing one for awhile and 6 bags later with PF and Salient this is the best one we've created IMO.

Thanks for the kind words Chris. I'm currently at a tourney everyone so I will answer questions after golf and after racing.

Haven't seen it asked yet so I will go ahead, how many drink holders is it gonna have? and is the disc storage vertical or horizontal? What colors are gonna be available?.

Haven't seen it asked yet so I will go ahead, how many drink holders is it gonna have? and is the disc storage vertical or horizontal? What colors are gonna be available?.

Good questions, the Helix will have 2 drink holders, horizontal discs storage, and the colors will be grey, red, and blue with the base for all colors will be black.

You have never even given them a chance and bash the hell out of the company lol. GET REAL PANDA FACE!

You threw a Prometheus (which sounded like all of a couple 3-4 throws) and then read about some bumps in the road with their first bag ... So that must make you are the resident salient expert!

Have you thrown the Vein or Backdraft? Did you try to use the catalyst? At least when you see me talking down about product-- I HAVE USED IT :doh:

You don't want one of these bags anyways so what the hell do you care about this thread or Huju or all the other places you spout your BS like some big DG pro.

Well said.

I'm personally pretty psyched to hear people's reaction to the bag when Scott posts some more detailed pics. It's quite a good looking bag, and I like the idea of some of the style details that have been posted I hadn't heard about yet. The cell phone pocket being felt lined is something that I never would have thought about but love. My phone cost me more than my Ergo. I would love it if it had a softer place to rest than it does.

Good questions, the Helix will have 2 drink holders, horizontal discs storage, and the colors will be grey, red, and blue with the base for all colors will be black.

Biggest failure on the latitude bag with one single drink holder.

"in euro areas we don't need to carry 2 drinks" was their reply.. lol!

How does it hold stuff like a stool/umbrella/jacket etc for tournament players who pack everything and then some?

Biggest failure on the latitude bag with one single drink holder.

"in euro areas we don't need to carry 2 drinks" was their reply.. lol!

How does it hold stuff like a stool/umbrella/jacket etc for tournament players who pack everything and then some?

Well in my tourney today I had a pair of rain pants and a long sleeve shirt in the side pockets. The top pocket is pretty big but I have not tried to see what I can fit up there other than discs or my personal items. I never carry a stool but I did put an umbrella on it last week. You can run one down either side as that side strap can tighten and then there is a small pocket in front if the bottle holder to put the end of the umbrella in. On the production run that little pocket will have a zipper. Works great right now but will be that much better with a zipper.

Did you get more birdies with it on your back is the more important question...? :p

but curious what the is the weight is of the bag when empty?

Did you get more birdies with it on your back is the more important question...? :p

but curious what the is the weight is of the bag when empty?

Lol I did happen to play a lot better today than I have been but I don't consider the bag being the cause of this.

As far as the weight goes AIM I will need to get back to you on this one. I have racing again tomorrow so I will be away till tomorrow night. I will see if I can weigh it then. I will see if I can find a way to weigh it accurately.

You have never even given them a chance and bash the hell out of the company lol. GET REAL PANDA FACE!

You threw a Prometheus (which sounded like all of a couple 3-4 throws) and then read about some bumps in the road with their first bag ... So that must make you are the resident salient expert!

Have you thrown the Vein or Backdraft? Did you try to use the catalyst? At least when you see me talking down about product-- I HAVE USED IT :doh:

You don't want one of these bags anyways so what the hell do you care about this thread or Huju or all the other places you spout your BS like some big DG pro.

Dam, you like to snap on people dont you.

Lets see here. I did give them a chance right away in the beginning. Threw the prometheus a lot more than 3 or 4 times to get my opinion on the disc. Then I offered up my review of the disc and salient did nothing but try to discredit me and talk badly of me. So thats where my now dislike for them comes from. And I have seen a total of 2 catalysts in person, and both owners of the bags regret buying the bags because of bad quality.
I will not try (well at least won't buy to try) the vein or backdraft because I will not be giving salient any more of my money.
And you dont get sarcasm do you.

Dam, you like to snap on people dont you.

Lets see here. I did give them a chance right away in the beginning. Threw the prometheus a lot more than 3 or 4 times to get my opinion on the disc. Then I offered up my review of the disc and salient did nothing but try to discredit me and talk badly of me. So thats where my now dislike for them comes from. And I have seen a total of 2 catalysts in person, and both owners of the bags regret buying the bags because of bad quality.
I will not try (well at least won't buy to try) the vein or backdraft because I will not be giving salient any more of my money.
And you dont get sarcasm do you.

Hey horseman I met you down at BG ams. I was carrying a innova caddypack at the time but I have owned a salient catalyst since they first shipped. I will say I was disappointed on a few things (ie the original bumps in the road and the lack of functional mini pocket) but as for materials I dont know what the people you have talked to did to their bags.

I live in NE Ohio and I play year round so this bag has seen mud snow thorns anything you can imagine in the past 6ish months and it honestly has sustained no damage. The only rounds I wasnt using it for were tournament rounds because I dont have a stool.

Back to the helix bag. For the love of god Salient please please please fix and test the mini pocket. I keep change in the catalyst one. It is my biggest gripe with the bag. The zipper makes it look cool but if you want to go with the straight zipper pocket instead of the usual models make it big enough to fit the whole mini when zipped up. I gave up trying to use that pocket as a mini fell out every time I moved.

Hey horseman I met you down at BG ams. I was carrying a innova caddypack at the time but I have owned a salient catalyst since they first shipped. I will say I was disappointed on a few things (ie the original bumps in the road and the lack of functional mini pocket) but as for materials I dont know what the people you have talked to did to their bags.

I live in NE Ohio and I play year round so this bag has seen mud snow thorns anything you can imagine in the past 6ish months and it honestly has sustained no damage. The only rounds I wasnt using it for were tournament rounds because I dont have a stool.

Back to the helix bag. For the love of god Salient please please please fix and test the mini pocket. I keep change in the catalyst one. It is my biggest gripe with the bag. The zipper makes it look cool but if you want to go with the straight zipper pocket instead of the usual models make it big enough to fit the whole mini when zipped up. I gave up trying to use that pocket as a mini fell out every time I moved.

Hi Bacon,
First I would like to say I am glad to hear that the durability of your Catalyst is going well.

As far as the mini pocket on the Helix goes, there will be no dedicated mini pocket on the Helix. In front of the main compartment there will be a big elastic pouch big enough to put a full size disc in or whatever else you might want. This is the pocket that I use to hold my mini along with a scorecard if I happen to be keeping score. Also there are 2 smaller pockets on each side of the bag in front of the drink holders that are about the size of a large wallet so you could keep minis in there also. Personally when I play I keep my mini in my pocket and only use the bag to store the mini after the round is over but I think the system we are going with this time will be much better for the players instead of having a pocket that only has one purpose and that is to carry a mini.

I personally would rather have a bag with pockets that are "multi functional" than a bag that has pockets with only one use.

Mini pockets are very over rated, I put my mini in them when my round is over, the other times my mini picket is my own pocket. Just a useless thing that we invented for our bags.

I must be an oddball because I always used the mini pocket during competitive rounds since I often wear soccer shorts that don't have pockets. I had a Gorilla Boy Squirrel Monkey that had a mini pocket right in front of the putter pocket, and I could grab my putter and mini in one movement. I miss that about my first gen Ergo. Mini pockets aren't useful for everyone, but I'm glad that manufacturers are still incorporating them into their designs.

Every bag over $20 should have a mini pocket.
I like multi use pockets as well. But a mini pocket is such a small and easy to do thing, i dunno why anyone would not put one on the bag, makes no sense.

Does your bag have a phone pocket/slot thing?

I vote: no mini pocket
Mine lives in my pants/shorts front pocket during the round.
Then in my top inner pocket on the side of my grip.

For the record, my wifes' catalyst is still doing just fine.
And my ONLY "Complaint" is the top pocket was not as advertised.
Other than that, it's a great bag for the buck.

I am very interested in seeing more of these new bags.
And Scott P. is doing a great job here, it is a big job to wade through the B'S on here.

Last edited:
Every bag over $20 should have a mini pocket.
I like multi use pockets as well. But a mini pocket is such a small and easy to do thing, i dunno why anyone would not put one on the bag, makes no sense.

Does your bag have a phone pocket/slot thing?

Yes the very top pocket is all felt lined and has a felt lined phone pocket inside it.

Thank you Mattc for your kind words. I'm glad your wife is enjoying her bag. Maybe the Helix will work for you and you can both carry a salient bag. I appreciate your support.

I guess im so into the mini pocket cause I dislike having anything in my pockets when I play.

I guess im so into the mini pocket cause I dislike having anything in my pockets when I play.

I often wear Dickies work shorts when I play, and they have a little side pocket for a phone. It is lower than typical pockets and toward the back of the leg a bit more than cargo pockets, and I find holding a mini in it to be auite unobtrusive. I usually forget it's there.

Latest posts