• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

San Francisco--March 3rd & 4th

jasonc

* Ace Member *
Silver level trusted reviewer
I just booked a trip for San Francisco. I will have time to play some disc golf on Saturday March 3rd and/or Sunday March 4th.

The wife and I will be staying with a friend...approx 4 miles from Golden Gate Park in the Marina Green area. We are renting a car, so driving anywhere will not be an issue.

If possible, I would love to check out at least 1 "new to me" course on this trip. The last time I was in the area, I played GGP and Stafford Lake and I would be happy to play a round at either course again.

Can't wait to get back to the Left Coast!!! :hfive:

You should hit up Staford Lake just a little north of SF. It's a huge course, the likes of which you could probably never get in IL.

You should hit up Staford Lake just a little north of SF. It's a huge course, the likes of which you could probably never get in IL.
Played a round there in '09. I would love to play that course again, but at the same time I would also like to check out a "new to me" course.....

Judging by the courses you've played already. I would suggest Skyline Wilderness Park in Napa.
That looks like a fun course. However, looks like it is at least an hour drive from where I will be staying and there is not too much else in that area. I believe Santa Cruz is about the same distance from San Fran.

Any thoughts/suggestions on Black Mouse or Pinto Lake?

Played a round there in '09. I would love to play that course again, but at the same time I would also like to check out a "new to me" course.....

That looks like a fun course. However, looks like it is at least an hour drive from where I will be staying and there is not too much else in that area. I believe Santa Cruz is about the same distance from San Fran.

Any thoughts/suggestions on Black Mouse or Pinto Lake?

Black Mouse is a great course, Pinto is pretty nice also

Napa is a great course, and it's quite beutiful this time of year. Black Mouse is also a fun course, it reminds me of my home course, The Redwood Curtain.

Santa Cruz is more like 1.5 to 2 hours away from S.F. but well worth the drive. I know I'll burn in hell for saying this, but De La is a good course and if you haven't played it, you should. I dig Stafford and GGP over De La any day. ARRRRRRrrrgh! I've just been hit by lightning lol!!

The nice thing about playing Santa Cruz. Is you can play De La, Pinto Lake, Black Mouse, and Aptos (9 holer) in a day. They are all about 10 to 20 min apart from each other. The other cool thing is you can check out the Boardwalk area and downtown Santa Cruz. It's a very cool area to check out. For some quick grub Pizza My Heart is as good as it gets. Pizza by the slice and just grab and go!

If you have time you should take Hwy 1 back to S.F. It's a nice coastal drive and I suggest stopping in Half Moon Bay (Main St.) for some great coffee and dessert. YES! Dessert FIRST! I forget the name, but it's near the end on Main St on your right in a little strip mall. Just look for all the people kicking back and drinking coffee :) As you head out of Half Moon Bay (approx 2 miles) stop in at the harbor and check out The Crab shack for some killer chowder. That's if you like chowder!

Oh, one other thing...Technu is a must! Pinto, Black Mouse and De La are loaded with poison oak.

Have a great time!!!

If you've never played DeLaveaga, I'd make the trip. If you want to stay closer and play a full day, then you can play Stafford and then drive to Skyline in Napa - both in fantastic shape right now.

If you want to do two new ones, then I'd say hit up Napa and then swing by the course I installed in Benicia if you want another 9 holes on the way back to SF.

Skyline in Napa is right next to some EPIC food. You have the mexican market right down the street (great burritos and tacos), or you can drive 2 minutes north on hwy 29 and hit up Gott's Roadside for a top notch burger/fries, and that is right next to Oxbow Market - a huge indoor market with many other food/desserts that are superb.

I live in Benicia and play both Skyline and Benicia all the time, so PM me if you want to meet up to play and have a tour guide.

Tim S.

Thanks for all of the info here guys. :hfive:

Looks like I need to decide between Skyline Wilderness/Benicia or Black Mouse/Pinto Lake. I am leaning towards Skyline Wilderness/Benicia because those 2 are a bit closer and it sure would be nice to have a guide.

The last time I was out west, I had no idea that it was even an option to find local course guides here on DGCR. PM coming your way shortly Tim!

I will probably also play a round at Golden Gate Park if anyone is interested in meeting me there while I am staying in SF.

Skyline is a cool course. You will need every shot in your bag and it still won't save you from the "Napa rollers"...Man I hate it when thos happen!

Just watch out for ticks. The grass is low this time of year, but I hear the tick are becoming a problem up there.

Skyline is a cool course. You will need every shot in your bag and it still won't save you from the "Napa rollers"...Man I hate it when thos happen!

Just watch out for ticks. The grass is low this time of year, but I hear the tick are becoming a problem up there.

Thanks for the tip on the ticks. We certainly don't have to deal with them around here this time of year.

If you are around that weekend, feel free to join us out there! I'm always happy to meet fellow DGCR members :thmbup:

I was just in Napa last week and I'm a magnet for ticks. Didn't see any yet, its still too early with low grass and being winter and all (cold nights and not many deer and rabbits roaming around yet).

Tim S.

Cool, thanks for the offer. Weekends are hard for me to get out. It's normally our family time, but I'll see if I can get a hall pass:)

Snowy Bump

Just a friendly bump from Chicago (currently covered in snow :\) to see if anyone else is interested in a mini DGCR meet up in the Bay Area.

My current plan is to meet timothyasteele at Skyline Wilderness &/or Benicia on Saturday, March 3rd.

I will probably play Golden Gate Park on Sunday, March 4th. Although I have been there once, it was a few years ago and I would certainly appreciate a local guide.

Just a friendly bump from Chicago (currently covered in snow :\) to see if anyone else is interested in a mini DGCR meet up in the Bay Area.

My current plan is to meet timothyasteele at Skyline Wilderness &/or Benicia on Saturday, March 3rd.

I will probably play Golden Gate Park on Sunday, March 4th. Although I have been there once, it was a few years ago and I would certainly appreciate a local guide.
Man, wish I could meet up with you and show you GGP. Just get there early, because I think there weekly tournament kicks off around 0900 to 1000 on Sunday. There will be plenty of locals to show you around on a Sunday. Plus your going to get some good weather that weekend. So enjoy!!

Man, wish I could meet up with you and show you GGP. Just get there early, because I think there weekly tournament kicks off around 0900 to 1000 on Sunday. There will be plenty of locals to show you around on a Sunday. Plus your going to get some good weather that weekend. So enjoy!!

Changed plans. Heading up to Skyline and Benicia on Sunday.

Hoping to wake up before the wife tomorrow morning so I can head out to GGP. Flyin to SFA tonight! :D:D:D

Changed plans. Heading up to Skyline and Benicia on Sunday.

Hoping to wake up before the wife tomorrow morning so I can head out to GGP. Flyin to SFA tonight! :D:D:D
Cool! Just saw that the weather speculators say it's going to be in the 70's around the bay area. Bring plenty of water and trail mix for Napa. There is a shopping mall about a mile or two from Skyline (Raily's and some fast food) if you need to stock up.

Have fun!!!

How did it go?

I had a great time this past weekend in the Bay Area. Picked up a blizzard destroyer at the Purple Skunk in SF on Saturday...also picked up a Purple Skunk stamped aviar. I did not have time to play a round at GGP, but that was OK because I played the course the last time I was in the area.

On Sunday, I met timothyasteele for the first half of my round at Skyline Wilderness in Napa. What a nice course! Lots of challenging holes out there and great views of the surrounding mountains/scenery. IIRC, my first birdie was on #9. Only had a few napa rollers during the round. I wish we had something....anything like that around here. :wall:

I only had 1 problem w/ Skyline....the lack of a decent course map. I usually don't mind some navigation issues while playing "new-to-me" courses. However, when you have to pay $5 to enter the park and there are detailed maps for the existing trails that share land with the course, this situation seemed like it could be fixed very easily by the people who run the park or a local DG club.

I was somewhat surprised to see a few dogs there after seeing the "No Dogs Allowed" signs on the course info page and at the park.

I also played Benicia on the way back to SF. Although still in the development stage, the course is a very nice 9 holer. While the park was very crowded with other activities while I was there, they did not interfere with the course at all. I even had a heard of goats accompany me for a few holes, which was nice!

Now I need to plan another Left Coast trip! :hfive:

Cool, ya Napa can kill you for sure. Next time hit up the holly trinity....De La, Pinto and Black Mouse. If you stay down there instead of S.F. You can the hit up the courses near Monteray and then check out a very cool area of the north coast.

Getting my motorcycle serviced this week just for that coastal run :) Aaahhhhh come on spring!

Latest posts