• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

"Secret Technique" statement, just curious

What a complicated sport! So many variables, and everybody has their own variables, and all of it packed into a throw that happens so quickly. I love the sport, but I wish I wasn't stuck here at 250' max, with the very rare 275'. But, playing 14 months now, I do still seem to be inching forward, very slow gains, so hopefully more to come. I have been getting some coaching, three lessons so far, and it has definitely helped. I am still using standstill, which my coach switched me to because she changed so much of my technique (or is trying to change, lol). Right now my biggest challenge seems to be trying to break the habit of instinctively letting the disc go, and getting to where I consistently hold my grip and force it to rip out. Ripping out seems to add about 20', and take me further to the right, but I struggle hard to get it consistent. But I think I am slowly improving there. Hoping if I get that, then add my x-step back, maybe those two things are enough for me to get to 300' with decent consistency. That would be nice. I played with a semi pro guy, 59 years old, a couple weeks ago, and he said I need to start my throw slower, and accelerate towards my release. I am sure he is right, but I just don't know that I can wrap my brain around that, too, and make it happen. Ugh! If I could take knowledge, and convert it perfectly and easily to my throwing action, wow, I might have turned pro already! Lol! But I love playing, and I mostly shoot around par now (on easy to medium courses; under par on short courses, but struggle on long ones) which at one time not so long ago seemed like an impossible dream! Go DG! And my favorite quote, that I adapted, pretty sure I heard something similar years ago from basketball(?) - "Let's put some discs in the air!"
Oh, excited that I will be playing with three DG buddies in my first ever tournament July 27th - Trilogy Challenge in Sebring, FL. Wish me luck!

This popped up again on the main page, and I remember reading it and feeling like I didn't really agree before.

How do you all feel about this quote? True? Nah? I DO believe people overestimate the importance and actual distance gains that an x-step adds, but that isn't entirely the point he was making.

Quick edit: I am not at all saying an x-step is not going to add distance. Clearly it is the vastly preferred way to throw far and Im sure it does help, when done right. Personally I just like being able to not give a s*** about 99% of lies I have to work with.
Some of us like me the arm to end of wrist is barely 18" so somehow I would have to be slamming my arm to my chest before each big drive on very long holes or distance competition's. I did a drive only on distance competitions where I could end up on ground becuse of how much power per size of my small body I was using and was a 180 throw where plant foot was behind me doing a ballet or martial arts like move.

I guess it's just really silly to even conceptualize separating arm movements entirely from the body.

I played with the Beto drill with a stack of hexes and can get them out to about 250 or a bit farther. I do a very small coil, I think you have to.

I guess it's just really silly to even conceptualize separating arm movements entirely from the body.

I played with the Beto drill with a stack of hexes and can get them out to about 250 or a bit farther. I do a very small coil, I think you have to.

Yeah, I think if you dont coil a little you will hurt yourself.

With that said, I don't know if I recommend trying to throw far this way if you are still learning a ton. I would have effed myself up trying to do that drill for decent distance earlier on, I'm fairly sure.

It feels like a very compact action that has a lot of potential for injury imo.