• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

SFO broadcast question

jvphobic

Double Eagle Member
For those that watched the broadcast each day. I want to ask this question...

This event had the FPO FULL round coverage immediately before the MPO coverage. I would like some feedback on this. Here is my take...

I like the full FPO coverage because it give the FPO the full coverage that they deserve. But cutting the FPO out of the MPO footage creates a hole that we are currently filling with the hole preview and additional ads & booth time. And no, we can't do both, we don't have manpower nor time to make 2 FPO cuts.

PS. I am not looking for critique on the FPO commentating. Just the concept of shifting the FPO to before the MPO instead of in the middle.

Thanks.

I think it went well JVD. Yea it kind of sucked to have the dead time during the MPO coverage but its better than rushing thru the FPO stuff. I think the dead time can be filled fairly easily with all the footage you guys have(the dgpt top5s are pretty good). Have some shot clips/montages ready to go. "Hole 1 of Hyrule" type clips could be a good space filler also...:thmbup:

It would be pretty cool to have the on course guy to talk with the booth during those down times...

The old "Thrill of victory/agony of defeat" type vids you often see on TV sports coverage might be another thing you could do.

Last edited:
I'd be in favor for the SFO format going forward. The hole previews were well done and useful. If you can get the start timing down to avoid backups, it can work well. Having an on site reporter would open up all sorts of additional time killing opportunities.

FPO footage first. Getting familiar with the commentators made me more invested in watching their rounds too. It's an excellent strategy for making the FPO more visible and more than just Paige and some other people. Plus they did a good job.

I thought the FPO first was great. We got to see how they did almost in real time instead of waiting for the post productions (not sure if that is the correct term) a few days later.

For those that watched the broadcast each day. I want to ask this question...

This event had the FPO FULL round coverage immediately before the MPO coverage. I would like some feedback on this. Here is my take...

I like the full FPO coverage because it give the FPO the full coverage that they deserve. But cutting the FPO out of the MPO footage creates a hole that we are currently filling with the hole preview and additional ads & booth time. And no, we can't do both, we don't have manpower nor time to make 2 FPO cuts.

PS. I am not looking for critique on the FPO commentating. Just the concept of shifting the FPO to before the MPO instead of in the middle.

Thanks.

I really liked the FPO coverage beforehand, rather than spliced in hole-by-hole with the MPO. It allowed continuous coverage of the FPO, the commentary (which was good) had continuity, and it was easy and fun to watch the players' rounds.

One extra thing: when spliced in, sometimes the FPO shots were cut off to go to MPO when someone was teeing off, and sometimes due to time constraints, the FPO would only show Paige or Sarah on a certain hole. Continuous FPO coverage allowed all shots of all the players on the card to be shown.

So I think y'all hit the right formula with the SFO coverage, and I look forward to more of it.

I really liked the FPO coverage beforehand, rather than spliced in hole-by-hole with the MPO. It allowed continuous coverage of the FPO, the commentary (which was good) had continuity, and it was easy and fun to watch the players' rounds.

One extra thing: when spliced in, sometimes the FPO shots were cut off to go to MPO when someone was teeing off, and sometimes due to time constraints, the FPO would only show Paige or Sarah on a certain hole. Continuous FPO coverage allowed all shots of all the players on the card to be shown.

So I think y'all hit the right formula with the SFO coverage, and I look forward to more of it.

I completely agree. I would much rather have full FPO coverage than just get bits and pieces of it.

I responded in the SFO thread, but I'll add another thought here. I was glad to have the FPO coverage in its entirety in part because it meant the broadcast started an hour earlier. With the lead card tee time being after 5pm on the east coast, it was a drag waiting all day for it to start.

Fpo

I didnt realize the change until i happened to tune in 30 minutes early for live coverage. I saw half the fpo and i think this was a great decision.

I liked the change, provided you continue to find adequate filler for downtime during the MPO round. The earlier the coverage starts, the earlier I start watching. It's actually easier for me to watch coverage during work than home sometimes (wife+ 3 year old) so again, THE EARLIER THE BETTER.

I thought the cuts to the booth were a little heavy (pun if you didn't catch it) and would prefer to stick some other pre-recorded material in there a little more often than staring at Dixon and T-Spoon.

Maybe take some of the highlights from Dodge's Pro Tour talk that week. For instance, that McBeth interview had some great insights, you could've spliced some of that in there. Also, maybe collaborate with Jomez, they did some great hole previews with the pros explaining how they attack,you could pop that in there as well.

I think the Rules segment idea is fantastic though. It forces viewers to learn the rules, this could be bad when all the viewers know the rules better than the pros they are watching. Although, I feel we are pretty close to that point already sometimes.

Full FPO before MPO is a great show combo. Absolutely enjoy it!

So many ways to fill potential MPO dead space: here's a few ideas..

1) Get permission to use some of the top pro's in the bag videos.
2) Field report / interview a spectator once in a while. See who they're rooting for.
3) ^^^ Same with pros spectating.
4) Actually show the entire field's scores once in a while from first to last. This is surprisingly hardly ever done!
5) When a great birdie or eagle is made, revisit it later, analyze the hole and talk about how the player played the hole out.
6) Throw in some history of the course(s) being played, when it was designed, etc, etc.
7) Tour standings! From top to bottom. Always interesting.
8) Any ams playing? How are they doing compared to the pros?
9) Any old(er) guys playing open? Compare youth to experience, how are they holding up?
10) 2D flight path (overhead view) of a player's disc flight line from tee to basket, would be interesting to see.
11) Any top pros having a bad round? Perhaps discuss what's going on, what part of their game seems to be off.
12) Money$$ Let's see a report of total money the top pros have made so far this season.

I liked the change, provided you continue to find adequate filler for downtime during the MPO round. The earlier the coverage starts, the earlier I start watching. It's actually easier for me to watch coverage during work than home sometimes (wife+ 3 year old) so again, THE EARLIER THE BETTER.

I thought the cuts to the booth were a little heavy (pun if you didn't catch it) and would prefer to stick some other pre-recorded material in there a little more often than staring at Dixon and T-Spoon.

No puns for me, but I will agree that the cuts back to the booth are a little too often. This is a situation where, if you have a stable cam operator, you can still have Dixon and Terry talking/analyzing, but you also get views of the course, players, spectators, etc. One of the benefits to having them in the booth is that they can talk without huffing and puffing, but that doesn't mean we need to see them all the time instead of the course.

Not a criticism of Dixon and Terry's looks, btw. I'm more just thinking of regular sports broadcasts: You see the commentators at the beginning, at half, and maybe once coming out of another commercial break. Other than that, it's sidelines/crowd.

No puns for me, but I will agree that the cuts back to the booth are a little too often. This is a situation where, if you have a stable cam operator, you can still have Dixon and Terry talking/analyzing, but you also get views of the course, players, spectators, etc. One of the benefits to having them in the booth is that they can talk without huffing and puffing, but that doesn't mean we need to see them all the time instead of the course.

Not a criticism of Dixon and Terry's looks, btw. I'm more just thinking of regular sports broadcasts: You see the commentators at the beginning, at half, and maybe once coming out of another commercial break. Other than that, it's sidelines/crowd.

I agree. And honestly just being the first time, we weren't quite sure how timing was going to work out. But I do want to get more filler and stuff. Because the booth shouldn't be shown more than a few times, it is just a very easy fallback for me. Cause I know they will fill time. We do plan on having the booth nearby for Utah and then going there with player interviews if everything works out.

I'd be in favor for the SFO format going forward. The hole previews were well done and useful. If you can get the start timing down to avoid backups, it can work well. Having an on site reporter would open up all sorts of additional time killing opportunities.

For me, this is personal preference. I loved Cory's flybys the week before, it got me really excited about the event. But live or in post-production, part of the play by play is the commentators covering the hole for me. I admit it would be a waste to do both, but that was what I liked.

I don't know, I thought Terry's new do was quite dashing.

I liked it. It wasn't rushed and cut short, we may have been watching more ads, but I've learned to tune them out and read the chat anyway.

I know this wasn't asked, but I like the booth a lot better than on site. They feel a little more "free" to talk, and I feel like some of the distances were judged better.

Thanks for all you guys have been doing. It's been a great season so far.

I liked the FPO coverage, but having it first hurt the MPO broadcast. I'd gotten use to following the women's action in between the mixed which now leaves them dragging along with extra commercials to fill time. The previous style was a better product and I still watched the post produced women's round. Sometimes the mixed too even though Monday is old news after watching live.

Latest posts