• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Shoes or Cleats

westflagator

Bogey Member
Just wondering what kind of shoes do you wear. I just bought some Dr. Scholls shoes and they already are tearing up on the soles. I just have to re-glue the sole but curious what you guy/gals wear.

Also I was watching a video with Avery Jenkins, in Japan and he said,that he wears cleats. Just wonder what you thought about it.

If it's slick and the tees are natural, I can see the benefit of using cleats. Otherwise it probably does more harm than good by prohibiting you from getting a good pivot. Sounds like a good way to blow your knee out if you do it enough.

I just need to find a nice pair of shoes where the soles will not come unglue when I am playing. Very annoying when you try and do your x step and sole catches the tee box...:doh:

I hate it when people use cleats on natural tees. It digs massive holes and ruts near the toe line, to just be filled in by sloppy, muddy nastiness.

That's a big problem for a lot of shoes. The most durable soles I've played on so far have been the Vibram soles on the various Merrell and some North Face shoes. The Keen Targhees I've had were also nearly indestructible.

If you play on tons of hills or in woods where there's tons of leaf litter, I could see using cleats.

I saw a guy try cleats here once. It was UGLY
I had 911 on speed dial after two tees

lots of people around my area use cleats when we have tourneys on natural teepads. as far as shoes that dont beat up real quick, keens are a good option. but if you dont have that kind money, i find some brands of skate shoes hold up really well. ive stakeboarded for 13 years now and can go through a pair of shoes in two weeks in the summer. i feel your pain lol.

During an ice bowl I recently played in, it just happened to be one of the three days it snowed here in delaware. My buddies and I were all standing around talking about which shoes would be best. The course has some slick brick teepads that are hagard in when wet. WELL, Mike Moser is in our local club. Much to our surprise, he came in cleats. And won. By about 9 strokes. I would suggest cleats for fresh/current snowfall/rain/mud. Also i would suggest being Mike Moser. That dude is good.

For situation like that it's easier to just get those cleats for ice fishing that are meant to slip over your regular shoes. That way you can take them off and put them on when you need them.

For situation like that it's easier to just get those cleats for ice fishing that are meant to slip over your regular shoes. That way you can take them off and put them on when you need them.

The coil style ones wont do enough I wouldn't think, and the spikes would be way too grippy.

The coil style ones wont do enough I wouldn't think, and the spikes would be way too grippy.

Yeah, but that guy was talking about snow. On snow/ice the spikes are great.

Also depends on the cleats. I had some ice fishing cleats with small carbide bits in them that gripped great on slick surfaces, but didn't really dig into soil because they were just too short. My baseball cleats in dig in a lot harder than those.

now there is an option. Skate shoes may do it for me. They are made for wear on the side of the shoe.
the soles are also designed for abuse. i mean grip tape is sand paper adhered to the deck. DC tends to have pretty tough soles on their shoes. if you go that route, look for soles that arent too gummy feeling or thin. they wont hold up for long.

Five-Ten Impacts. Go to Zappo's and check out my review of this shoe. It's easy to find since it's the only one that reviews the shoe for disc golf. It's the best shoe I've come across for disc golf. I still haven't worn through the toe after a year of playing (4 to 6 times a month). There like Vans on steroids!

Last edited:
I've tried FiveTen Tennie. I play about 20 rounds a month. They have lasted about 2 months before the toe wore through. The FiveTen was grippy on the tee pad but slippery on wet ground. The tread is almost completly gone now ( 2mos of wear).

I'm now trying out some addidas tennis shoes I found for $25 at an outlet store. So far (about 5 rounds in) they're like the Five Ten, grippy on concrete, and slick on wet ground.

Latest posts