• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Short putting practice

15-20'

My whole stack of putters to save time going back and forth to the basket.

The last discgolfer mag had a good routine for putting using a main and secondary style. mark out 3 spots with minis. Putt the same number of putts from each spot. If you make the putts flip the mini over. When you get to the marker on the next round you either do your main putt again (mini right side up) because you missed some, or you work on a secondary putt (like a straddle) if your mini is flipped. When you have completed the circuit you can see which putt is your strongest and which to work on. Also you can gauge out a distance to start. Each time you completely finish the circuit (both putts, no misses) move the minis back say 5'. Wash, rinse, repeat. remember that you should pick a distance that you can make your putts. Practicing missing is just practicing how to fail.

I would use as many putters as I can, if they are the same mold and weight(somewhat). I wouldn't practice putting with anything other than what I'm gonna putt with during a round. And I'd probably focus on the 20-40ft range, that tends to be where I have some issues, and also where I end up during a round. Vicious circle i guess.

AND he^^ is right, practicing missing is learning to miss, so I'd work my way back like he said and focus on the before mentioned distances.

Last edited:
These are both really good posts!

I've always heard 2 discs, but I think 3 is okay especially if you only have 10 minutes.

My routine:
I typically make a 10 foot mark (confidence booster and good way to start by seeing your disc hit chains) a ~16 foot mark, and a ~22 foot mark. You can add marks further back from this if you'd like, but I'm new to push putting and trying to get form and accuracy together.

I do similar to what was posted above about the minis, except I play an "around the world" type game.

I start at 10.
Make: Move back to the next marker (16)
Miss: Try again at 10

At 16:
Make: Move back to 22
Miss: Try 16 again. If I miss, I move forward one (in this case to 10). If I make it, however; I "reset" and act as if it's my first time at 16. So in order to advance after your first miss you have to make two consecutive putts.

etc..

i never use more than 3 if i am putting. quality trumps quantity. part of getting better at it requires a greater emphasis on the value of each putt. you have to develop a routine and get comfortable doing it whether it's a gimme or a challenge.

i would do a mix of all distances. warm up on the easy ones, stretch it out to stuff outside your consistent make range. mix in some short throws/jump or walk through putts. never throw the same shot twice. changing the line/distance, forcing yourself to reset the visual target and your feet is crucial in the routine.

I use 10 putters, I don't hurry, and I disorient myself between putts. I make it to where I have to reset before I putt.

As for distance, I start at about 10 feet and keep backing up till I start missing.

ONE putter only. 6-7 paces (18-21 feet). Try to make 10 in a row. If you miss, restart. If you keep missing, move closer.

Using more than one putter is nothing like what happens on game day. You only get one chance.

Using more than one putter is nothing like what happens on game day. You only get one chance.

while i do agree that this is what happens at go time, i also believe that you have to build up muscle memory and walking to pick up a putter every time waste time IMO...

however i do believe that getting 10 putters is a little much, i have as bad a plastic addiction as the next guy but for me throwing that many putters only tends to make me not concentrate as much, so for me 3 is the magic number, 3 IDENTICAL putters....

I will start from 15 feet and hit at least 20 in a row, making sure to move a foot to the left or the right on each shot so i have to completely reset... i won't move on until i hit at least 20 (my record is 32) ... the nice thing here is that as you get higher in your 'in a row' count the pressure mounts and you get a more pressure putt feel that you will have during a round... after at least 20 i will move out to 20 feet and repeat (i have not gotten out past 25...yet...)

I cant claim this advise to be my own, i have to credit John Murphy (Philly / Bucs county area pro) , but it has helped my game TREMENDOUSLY.

good luck and keep practicing.

To cover it from a new player perspective, there is a TON of value in quantity.

Grabbing a big stack of putters and putting the same putt over and over with as little downtime as possible is critical to developing feel within limited time constraints. There should be a focus on keeping a good pace so you stay within form (meaning don't go too fast).

I tend to focus on 20' & 30' putts as that's where I feel like I should be able to sink it from. My putts have improved 10 fold since I started doing this regularly.

You could probably get off 50 or so 20' putts in 10 minutes with a stack of 10 putters.

i use the same method that was in that issue. got a stack of 7 darts i use only for practice, its all about consistancy

15-20'

My whole stack of putters to save time going back and forth to the basket.

The last discgolfer mag had a good routine for putting using a main and secondary style. mark out 3 spots with minis. Putt the same number of putts from each spot. If you make the putts flip the mini over. When you get to the marker on the next round you either do your main putt again (mini right side up) because you missed some, or you work on a secondary putt (like a straddle) if your mini is flipped. When you have completed the circuit you can see which putt is your strongest and which to work on. Also you can gauge out a distance to start. Each time you completely finish the circuit (both putts, no misses) move the minis back say 5'. Wash, rinse, repeat. remember that you should pick a distance that you can make your putts. Practicing missing is just practicing how to fail.

I use one putter and play my warmup game. Mark 10ft, 20ft, and 30ft (apx). Start at the 10ft mark and putt until you hit 3 in a row. After you hit 5 in a row, move to the 20ft. spot. In the 20 and 30 ft lines, if you miss 3 times in a row, move back to the shorter line. Typically I play this with a few friends and there are more than 3 stations. We set a certain number of throws (say 50) and whoever gets the furthest with 50 throws wins.

I have three kinds of putting practice.
1. Refining. This is where I use 1 or 2 putters and work on accuracy from various distances. I know how to putt, but this practice focuses on routine and accuracy.
2. Learning. This is where I use 10 putters. Right now I'm working on my 30ft putting technique. It's about repitition and muscle memory.
3. Repeating. I'll step into my garage at various times and just putt with 1 putter and make it without
any warm-up. This tells me if my form is reliable and repeatable.

2 putters, max of 20 ft. I would use different styles and keep things moving quickly.

Get 3 putters of the same make and same weight.Having the putters at the same weight is key.Having a putter 2 grams less or 2 grams more can throw your muscle memory off.

First I start out with the can't miss putts.These are the putts you should make with ease.If the form you use is working right for you these should be no problem and you will have that feel you need for the putts outside the circle.

Next I do 25 foot putts,I could go 30 feet,but it just helps to warm up the muscle memory better doing the 25 footers.

After I've done these in my regular form,I start to do it in my Straddle putt form.This is one form I stress to the younger golfers that you need to learn if you want to have a all around better putting game.

If you could only practice putting for 10 minutes a day -What distances would you focus on?

Without knowing how your putting game is, I would say work on 15 to 20 foot putts. If you miss a lot of putts from that distance, move a little closer. If your putting game is solid from that distance, move back a little.

How many putters would you use?

One or two will work, but it's nice to have at least 5-7. I don't subscribe to the theory that all your putters have to be of the same mold. I've practiced with various molds mixed together, & it helped my putting. I had to stay focused because I might putt with an understable putter followed by an overstable putter. I couldn't just stand there and throw putters at the basket, I had to pay attention to each disc I picked up and think about how it would fly. Because of this, if I ever lose a putter on the course, I can pull a replacement out of my bag and hit my next putt without skipping a beat. Even if the putter I just lost was beat in, and the replacement is brand new.

When I'm pressed for time, I concentrate on the distances at which I make most of my putts, but miss a few. That's 20 feet (90%), 25 feet (75%) and 30 feet (60%). I rarely miss a 15 footer, so I feel like I'm wasting my time with those. My percentage drops off very quickly after 30 feet, so a lot of practice from there is bad for my confidence.

I use 6-10 aviars, which is what I use when I play. Anyone who doesn't have 5 or 10 aviars hasn't been playing very long. It seems I'm always picking them up at tourneys.

short range 30' and in
rapid putt with 4 or more dx cros (my putter)
-the goal being more muscle memory, less focus

after several dozen made, i briefly go to my 2 starters and work focused putts, taking more time per putt backing out to jumpers.

10 min seems too long for me tho

^practicing putting means little to me tho. its all focus and routine when im in a round.

if i find myself not hitting my mark in a casual round, i will take a few minutes on whatever basket im at to regain the right focus level.

ONE putter only. 6-7 paces (18-21 feet). Try to make 10 in a row. If you miss, restart. If you keep missing, move closer.

I'm not saying your way is wrong but when I played baseball we practiced by hitting 100 pitches at a time, back to back to back so more than one shot has nothing to do with whether you get better at putting/hitting or not. I personally have a stack of 10 discs I put with. I use this as well to make a "game" out of it.
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62127&highlight=pressure+putting+practice

Latest posts