• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Shoulder timing

Need to turn/coil further back inside posture/rear foot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWasFdvnGio#t=6m5s

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-07-07 at 10.38.23 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2023-07-07 at 10.38.23 PM.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 192
I don't know if it's just your anatomy is different, but your feet are rolling way over to your outside edges.
Your foot/feet need to evert/roll/bank inward shifting back and forth, so the knee/s move/swivel ahead underneath to catch the hips/shoulders/spine/head.

attachment.php

Should i be focusing on staying inside/inward part my feet during the whole swing? Currently id say im focused on being centrally balanced on back foot while coiling / going forward, and then coming down centered on plant foot, like in crush the can. Wow totally different feeling being on the inward side of the back foot during the coil. The tension created wants my leg to go behind me instead of whipping forward when i coil on the center/ball of back foot. I think you are supposed to stay on the ball of your foot, but it feels way more natural to be on my heel and ball during the inward coil of back leg. Sorry for long winded post! thank you.

Hershyzer starting posture - need to set up with side bend to aid the correct shift. A little hard to see but I think your pelvis is sloped up with your shoulders already in the setup. Notice how SW has his throwing shoulder slightly declined relative to the rear shoulder. His front hip/pelvis is hanging in similar posture.

1689643289571.png
Sidewinder feels kind of like he's "seated" on that rear leg. He also probably has more depth into his hip "hinge" than you do (bending at the hips such that his butt is a bit farther away from the camera relative to his knees) and is more relaxed in the knees - your legs already look pretty close to straight or locked out in the setup. Look at this image: notice athletic bend at the knee and hip into the backswing in images 4 & 5.

1689643454178.png

This "depth" in the posture gives you a lot of space to swing, helps keep you in good balance, and helps you shift more aggressive laterally & abruptly. Not everyone will get as deep as Eagle but you can get the idea here:

1689643354456.png
IMHO getting this drill as clean as possible is helpful to reduce a lot of painful changes. Stick with it.

Yeah the hip hinge "seating" thing is something ive never really though of. Actively trying to add depth here... definitely helps with balance. Will keep working on it, thanks for the feedback!!!

Much better, now tuck your trail elbow next to your hip instead of letting it fly out away from you.

Still working on the hershyzer drill. Feels natural to pin arm at side during throw like this... not sure if its a bad habit

Would keep the rear elbow relaxed near the rear hip for now like don't spill the beverage above.

Try to roll off the instep of the rear foot more like he does here at (9:42) in conjunction with the elbow.

Slow down a little bit. It's not as much of a lunge as it is pressure building up into the rear foot as your body moves into the shift, which is abruptly released when you plant.

Last edited:
elbow and foot together makes alot of sense. i "feel" like im rolling of the back foot here, but it looks more like a pivot i guess.

Think i understand the beverage concept, but i feel this style is making me spin my upper body instead of the shift ive been working on. Came across sidewinder swim move video. Not sure if im doing it correctly, just feels way better. I know i should be keeping it as simple as possible, just have some really bad rear arm habits i think. Thanks again for all the feedback.

I think practicing motion patterns is good.

I think we'd like to see you get hinged back/seated into that rear hip a little more in your setup. The rear shin angle should look closer to vertical relative to the ground when you are finding the maximal leverage starting position - look closely at Sidewinder's setup. You should basically be able to provide just a little bit of leverage off the rear foot, and your body will shift/drift effortlessly forward with your butt leading a bit more. You feel more like you are dropping abruptly with more impact into the plant "for free." That's like half the basis of the "low effort" good swing we talk about around here.

Last edited:
I think I'm actively trying to stay on the inside parts of my feet (even in the start position). A video sidewinder linked a few weeks ago mentioned staying on the inside and going outside edge of the rear foot is a death move. but it sounds like the start position should be flat on the foot stacked over the rear hip. I think I tend to push of the back foot a little too much when focusing on other things

That's all good and you should get the leverage off the drive foot instep, but you missed the point (don't worry, I still do a lot of that too, including to Sidewinder22).

I was telling you to focus on this.

1690644190478.png
As Sidewinder once taught me, "you are all pretzeled up." You've got no real leverage coming off the rear leg.

You have basically the same problem this guy has, and to understand why you might be confused about the posture I recommend you read what I wrote here + the post after it, including to help you understand why you might be confused about why Simon looks the way he looks in transition:

1690644907502.png

Your leading knee/front hip is leaking a bit open there too in the setup because it is compensating for not being all the way back into the hip hinge, (which is the same thing that will help cause your rear shin to be more vertical relative to the ground in the setup). You also aren't getting your front knee fully crossed over the rear knee for the same reason. Also as a result, Sidewinder feels more coiled into the rear hip than you with much more stability on that rear leg.

Get into the better posture deeper into the hinge to "sit back" deeper onto the rear leg and it's easier to get better after that.

NINJA EDIT: this is part of why, understandably, people get so confused about the move off the drive leg. I won't name names. It's really not that complicated in principle but you it's all about leverage and how motions like walking convert linear forces into biological weight shifts and rotations. You wouldn't walk from your pretzel stance, so you shouldn't shift or x-step from a pretzeled move. If you fix the drill, it helps you fix the move.

NINJA EDIT2: Cropped & edited photo above to help simplify/help you see it.

Attachments

• 1690644404574.png
    1690644404574.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
7B34C49F-678D-488C-8F7A-6277B89DC0C0.jpeg90C70DCB-D35F-4E9D-B639-A8255B550F20.jpegCD41307D-58B3-448C-B92B-EC63285F73CF.jpeg
Not sure if this is "deep" in that seating position. This is a dumb question but the green arrows represent getting the front hip/ leg back/turned more? Not sure if it's a flexibility issue but I'm pretty "wound" up here. I wouldnt be able to turn much more in the stride. Thank you!!!

whoa big pictures! Sorry

Stacked vertical on rear hip/focusing on getting more into the hip "hinge"/ and that "falling' feeling from the post you mentioned. Different feeling here for sure, way more stretch through the back hip. Still a little rough, just wanted to see if i'm on the right track. thanks!!!

w/ swim move arm thing:

without:

Theoretically, you want the rear elbow to help support your balance/shift into the plant. But if you "overcook" it, it leads to bad things. When you did the swim move, it looked like you tipped off the rear leg to me and then forced the rear arm move. When you didn't focus on it, it you looked like you were closer to the preferred move.

In the second one, move off the rear leg looks a little too stiff/not ideal leverage at first glance. I might suggest taking that rear foot and making it slightly more perpendicular to the target. You will probably feel a little more coiled up and it will probably be easier to get off the rear instep/more leverage directly into the plant. I was surprised at how coiled and leveraged this drill can feel (good thing when you get it). Maybe get a little athletic bounce when you're balanced on the rear leg, then get nice and seated on it in balance before you shift forward.

Keeping elbow more relaxed around hip/more perpendicular on trail foot/athletic bounce before stride. Bounce is a good idea. Feel like i get more relaxed, so i've been able to slow it down a bit.

Need to hinge into the rear hip, so it drops and moves targetward underneath your head, instead of tipping your pelvis head over.

Also not sure if you are naturally pigeon toed/anteverted hips or just setting up that way for some other reason?

tip vs tilt hershyzer copy.png

Last edited: