• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Shoulders

Hankman

Should I be turning the shoulders actively to get more acceleration to the disc and if so at what point?

The way I've understood it is that from the reach back to the right pec position you're just turning your hips and shoulders passively follow. And when Blake talks about stopping the shoulders (to get from phase 2 to 3 in his diagram) its really about stopping the hips, right? So to me it would seem that you're not really turning the shoulders (in relation to the hips) at any point.. perhaps after the elbow chop to prevent your elbow from hyperextending, but not to add acceleration to the disc? Am I wrong somewhere in here?

Thanks for the answers.

DO NOT STOP YOUR HIPS.....sorry for yelling......and by stopping the shoulders it's really more like a pause

when you really twist your hips your shoulders and arms follow then at a certain point you really accelerate you arm (well it's basically making a sideways chop from the elbow) but then you keep twisting everything and follow all the way through with the arms and do the "walk it out" thing that dan showed in that one vid

Is pausing the shoulders possible bec ause at this point the shoulders and hips are basically squared up? this is what I have been trying to figure out for some time now. If you are completely coiled, there's no way you can pause the shoulders and move your hips at the same time. this leads me to this conclusion:

Planting brings my hips and therefore my shoulders around from reaching back, where I was completely coiled. But at the plant my shoulders and hips are square, allowing the shoulders to pause, while the disc moves across my chest from the momentum of coming forward from reachback. While this happens the hips continue around until they are pulling my shoulders once more, somewhere during the elbow chop.

I'd like to know if this is right cos I have been trying to figure this out forever.

After re-reading that thread for the hundredth time, I believe my above statement was correct. Does anyone care to comment?

Blake_T said:
momentum should continue it forwards.

Blake_T said:
thrower.jpg

1 to 2 = your hips go from closed to "neutral". if your right foot sets down ~90 degrees away from the target, your upper body is in alignment when the right shoulder is pointing at the target.

2 to 3 = the hips don't really do anything here.

3 to 4 = the hip opens.

http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9422&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=15

Redisculous said:
After re-reading that thread for the hundredth time, I believe my above statement was correct. Does anyone care to comment?
In your above statement you said that hips would continue to turn while the shoulders stop but that picture by Blake says that hips don't do anything from 2 to 3. So I should stop my hips unlike keltik said? And this brings me back to my original question: do the shoulders actually do anything (in relation to the hips)?

Keep in mind that I could very well be wrong. I'm hoping that someone who knows what they are talking about reads this and clarifies. Basically what I'm saying is this: in frame 1 your upper body is coiled all they way back, it literally cannot move any further counter clockwise so when you plant in frame 2, your upper body comes along with it, but you are squared up, the hips and chest are pointing the same way. In frame 3, you make no attempt to move the shoudlers, and the momentum of coming around from reaching back moves the disc across your chest, but the hips are still rotating forward, because they have to get so far around before you are coiled up far enough that your shoulders are forced to follow again sometime between frame 3 and 4.

Again, this could be comepletely wrong. It's just what I've been trying to figure out for a while now.

Edit: Basically I think it all comes back to that right pec drill position, even with a runup, you are just whipping your hips open and following from the right pec position.

I've been wondering bout the same thing, that 'hips don't do much' comment... Pausing the rotation of the shoulders makes sense to facilitate the elbow chop. But pausing the hips seems counter-productive, hips have to lead the shoulders and I don't see how that could happen with full power if you don't at least start to turn the hips as your elbow comes forward.
That said, I think we might be annoying the lurker-king here:) perhaps too much focus on body positions?

http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14245

shameless promotion of my own post :oops:

but Wyno i think you are on the right track.....also don't worry about focusing too much on body positions.....the more we discuss the more we learn

Latest posts