• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Show me the Viper Love!

biodarwin

Birdie Member
All good discs get their own thread. I believe the viper is a under-appreciated disc. I use it to skip around obstacles, hyzers, sidearm and overhand. I bought a new one recently and it appears to be a little less overstable, which I do not like. Anyone else want to share the love?

The CFR champ ones are sweet. I might be using them if they werent so tough to find. My buddy just got an ace with one yesterday.

Maybe it's understable because now you can rip em and turn em over!
lol
One of my first discs 10 years ago was a viper. I gave it to a friend about 5 years ago when I found tons of other plastic that I used instead. I asked him to give it back since he doesn't play anymore but apparently it's stashed as his mom's old house somewhere.
If I could get it back it would be sweet since it's beat up, and I can bomb 400 footers now.
Back then I bought it cuz it had "World Record Distance holder" on it.

The Viper is pretty obsolete. However, Climo will still pull one out on certain courses in heavy winds.

My old school buddies spin stories about everyone having back problems during the Viper's dominant years because it encouraged you to throw it so hard to get D.

Imagine an "all snakes" bag...

Rattler
Cobra
Viper
Sidewinder
Venom

That's a decent bag!

Thanks discspeed, now I am going to have nightmares :( I often have dreams where I am stuck in a room littered with snakes and I have to get to the door on the other side. Now I am going to dream about them coming out of my dg bag. :cry:

Hmmmmm i think you may need help dude. lol its ok i went swimming in a pond it was super cold founds some disc throwing them up to the bank. i threw a coyote but i threw into some weeds and thorns when i got out i was too cold to go find it. i went back the the next day to go get it and i saw a huge freaking snake where it was. i decided that a coyote was not worth messing with a snake for.

peppermack said:
Thanks discspeed, now I am going to have nightmares :( I often have dreams where I am stuck in a room littered with snakes and I have to get to the door on the other side. Now I am going to dream about them coming out of my dg bag. :cry:

Snakes react to your emotions toward them. If you are anxious, so are they. If you are fearful so are they (act defensively). If you are aggressive, they will be as well. Just a few weeks ago I walked up to a black racer (one of the most high strung snakes alive), placed my hand in front of its head and slowly picked it up. It slithered calmly around in my hands until my wife walked up, then it freaked out. If you are not a prey item, and you are not threatening, the snake will behave accordingly. A snake wouldn't strike a stick, so if you think "I am just a stick" while slowly moving in on a snake, it will be calm (unless your heart rate is up, or you are sweating anxiously, both of which I believe snakes can sense).

My reaction to most snakes (Rattlers) I see which is usually while hiking or hunting is to pull out my .38 or 12 gauge and shooting them. There is no reason to be afraid of a dead snake. I know I have an irrational fear of them, and I embrace it!

My buddy loves vipers and has let me throw a few of his. New, they are too overstable(I prefer a z xtreme in it's place because it won't beat in) but a 2-3 year old beat viper is a beautiful thing and very long. They are also quite versatile when beat in as well, a plethora of varying beatness vipers would cover fairway duties well but it takes too long to beat them into straight.

o and z xtreme > champ viper

peppermack said:
My reaction to most snakes (Rattlers) I see which is usually while hiking or hunting is to pull out my .38 or 12 gauge and shooting them. There is no reason to be afraid of a dead snake. I know I have an irrational fear of them, and I embrace it!

By shooting snakes that make their presence known to you, you are affecting evolution by choosing the sneaky snakes to survive (rattlers that stay silent). The sneaky snakes are much more likely to bite before they rattle, and are therefore more dangerous. Shame on you Peppermack...some kid or hiker is going to get bit because of your recklessness!

They are usually rattling away when I crack them one! I am exaggerating a bit. I only occasionally shoot them, but if I come up on one and they are close, coiled, and I freak out, they are getting shot. I live in the high desert, so there are a lot of snakes.

The Viper indeed deserves its own thread. I like the sharper-nosed DX Vipers (V mold, not VX). I carry two, one newish and one broken in. DX Vipers make great overstable discs for those of us who throw under 350 feet.

peppermack said:
They are usually rattling away when I crack them one! I am exaggerating a bit. I only occasionally shoot them, but if I come up on one and they are close, coiled, and I freak out, they are getting shot. I live in the high desert, so there are a lot of snakes.

I want one of your little leather bags...but made of rattlesnake skin. :D

At OP: I love vipers. I use champion vipers as my main, and currently only, piggy driver.(Unless you count CE eagle X's.) It takes a hurricane to turn them over, and they are incredibly consistent.
At Peppermack: Hating snakes is fine, but I see no reason to shoot them. As with almost all wild animals, give them room and they will give you room. If one is on the path you are walking on simply take a different path, or wait until it moves. As Discspeed mentioned if you stay calm it is easy enough to move them yourself.(I wouldn't recommend this with venomous species.) Ignore them and they will ignore you. There is no reason to do them harm.