• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sidearm: yay or nay?

How much sidearm do you use in your game?

• None... you don't need it.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Occasional sidearm shots, but wish I was better at it.

Votes: 122 37.0%
  • Frequent sidearm shots, not afraid to use it with confidence.

Votes: 145 43.9%
  • I use more sidearm shots than backhand.

Votes: 25 7.6%
  • I do pretty much everything sidearm besides putting.

Votes: 22 6.7%

• Total voters

Feli

Par Member
The venerable KC seems to get by fine without sidearm, and I've always thought that I do too. I just throw anhyzer on my RHBH shots when I want a right turn... and usually use more understable drivers. I guess I figure time spent on learning sidearm would be time away from perfecting backhand... the old "a jack of all trades is a master of none."

However, Scott Stokely's book seems pretty adament that as the game advances, you won't be competitive without a decent sidearm shot. I do feel at a decent disadvantage off the tee when shooting treeline dogleg rights against my friends who have nice sidearm shots, but I can usually make up the ground with solid mids and putts and still get par.

So, what's the verdict among players around here?

Last edited:
forehand = yay

Put me in the definite YAY category. Unfortunately, my forehand is only good for about 100' but it is something that I am working on. I know that I would pick up strokes if I could throw forehand half as well as backhand.

Climo really doesnt throw a backhand? I guess I have never seen him do it but I just figured all those guys had every shot in their bag

what about when you need to go left, then right. like a dog leg right with a massive obstacle in the way?

that's when you bust out the Monster and FH Flex that baby around the tree or what-have-you.

what about when you need to go left, then right. like a dog leg right with a massive obstacle in the way?...
I wouldn't be able to go for birdie... would just lay up then putt for par. Beats looking for a disc in the woods and taking a penalty by getting greedy, tho.

I've promised myself that I won't work on FH until I can get my BH out to 325' consistently.

Unless you play really open and long courses, this is a better goal. :) FH is an indispensable tool on wooded courses. It's like the sky hook in basketball, unstoppable once you get it down.

Also, it's spelled "yea," dammit. Sorry, I'm just anal about that. :mad:

what about when you need to go left, then right. like a dog leg right with a massive obstacle in the way?

that's when you bust out the Monster and FH Flex that baby around the tree or what-have-you.

Yeah, I pull out my Flick for those shots, but really wish I had a better overall FH that I was a little more confident in.

Theres times when I see a better shot FH but I will favor the BH route since I am more confident in it.

I often help people learn a more controlled forehand throw. It's all about limiting the length of your arm motion into a 2ft space. There are many ways to throw a forehand. After two shoulder surgeries a more elongated baseball throw is not my preference. I still get about 325ft on flat ground without hurting myself.

I voted NONE. I have used it, but it is so rare for me, only as a get out of trouble or an occasional short flip as a last resort. I have a really flippy Eagle that I throw BH and can get the big turn so that's my version.

I never used a FH until I hurt my back. The last couple of months that I played I was primarily a FH driver then BH mid and putt in order to ease the back pain. Also having Kensington as my home course helps the FH need since I'm a righty and that course really favor's LHBH. My FH isn't close to perfect but it is something that is manageable for my game and always working on.

... Also having Kensington as my home course helps the FH need since I'm a righty and that course really favor's LHBH. ..
Yah, I've heard Kensington is a good course with nearly all dogleg rights... haven't made it up that way yet. I play mostly Firefighters.

If my BH was better, I would have to worry about using the FH throw!!! I still only use the FH for certain shots.

If you do the hammer pound drills you'll end up with a ~230' controlable forehand shot, so as far as I'm concerned unless you're already happy with how far your backhand is going, there's no reason not to get at least that proficient with the side arm.

Yah, I've heard Kensington is a good course with nearly all dogleg rights... haven't made it up that way yet. I play mostly Firefighters.

Do they bring their dalmations with them to disc?

I often help people learn a more controlled forehand throw. It's all about limiting the length of your arm motion into a 2ft space. There are many ways to throw a forehand. After two shoulder surgeries a more elongated baseball throw is not my preference. I still get about 325ft on flat ground without hurting myself.

:cool: it's all in the wrist and elbow positioning. ^this dudes got the right idea

Sometimes you can annie instead of FH. Sometimes (as A.P points out) you can't.

Othertimes. you just might have an odd lie next to a tree, bushe, whatever, where backhand doesn't provide adequete backswing or follow through, or perhaps even a good look at the pin - while FH does.

I really should work on my FH more. I only use it when I have to, but if I forced myself to use it more, I'm sure it would be a more reliable and controlable shot for me. While it may not drop scores every round, there are certainly rounds where it will drop at least a stroke or two.