• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sidearm: yay or nay?

How much sidearm do you use in your game?

• None... you don't need it.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Occasional sidearm shots, but wish I was better at it.

Votes: 122 37.0%
  • Frequent sidearm shots, not afraid to use it with confidence.

Votes: 145 43.9%
  • I use more sidearm shots than backhand.

Votes: 25 7.6%
  • I do pretty much everything sidearm besides putting.

Votes: 22 6.7%

• Total voters
This is how I feel exactly. Whenever I throw forehand drives, the disc comes out all wobbly. I'm very confident in my forehand approaching, great little flicks for from out behind trees.

It's not that I cant execute a good sidearm 2 out of 3 shots, it's just that I lack the "confidence" in them. Mine dont get wobbly, it's just that it takes an almost pin-point accurate release where-as with the backhand it just feels more natural.

After throwing backhand exclusively for many years, I learned to throw forehand this winter. For a short but glorious stretch, I could throw FH and BH with equal proficiency. Having both options available on all holes was very sweet, and greatly simplified decision-making.

Unfortunately throwing FH caused a few injuries, so spent the summer driving mostly backhand. I have started throwing FH again off the tee, but with 150-gram discs and modified throwing mechanics. So far I have managed to avoid injury, and I am slowly regaining FH distance and accuracy.

Even if you don't drive forehand, having a flick approach shot can save a lot of strokes on the course.

Last edited:
I throw either depending on the situation. I played for awhile before I learned a RHBH would anhyzer, (I know, I know...) so if I wanted to go right I had to shoot sidearm. Even now if I have an open hole and I'm looking for max D I will go for the sidearm.

If you only throw backhand you are missing out on half the fun and putting yourself at a disadvantage. I throw rhbh and rhfh off the tee with confidence and I know it give me an advantage on so many holes. No matter how well you throw turnover shots the don't finish the same as a flick.

My advise start with putters. Learn how to throw them smooth and easy hyzer, flat, and anny. The move up to mids and drivers. Point is learn the control first and the distance will come. Remember to accelerate the disc as you throw and follow thru.

I throw them both with equal proficiency off the tree, approaching and even putting (Excluding within 15ft, that's for BH).

Its nice always having a shot for a given situation.

For those asking about FH grips I use a two finger control grip. Sometimes known as a split grip. I feel its easier to control the angle of release with my index finger supporting the flight plate.

I started off throwing side arm and eventually got comfortable throwing back hand. I typically get max d off the tee with a side arm throw...

Also i'm left handed and play a lot of what seem like courses that favor righties, so a side arm for lefty is a much needed skill.

When i first started to play, i could only throw forehand. I eventually made myself learn backhand and now I'm primarily 90% backhand.

I'll throw forehand for trouble shots, or big right hand turns.

It's nice to have both shots available.

Now, I have to work on my forehand again and get some tee distance!

This thread started out well but seems to have devolved into a BH vs. FH discussion. I think to have a complete game you should be proficient in both. Plus rollers, overhands ect... I'm sure we have all played holes where we can make due with one throwing style but it would be much easy with another. The OP suggested that on holes that are distinclty FH he will play conservative with BH and get his par, but if he felt confident in his forehand those could become birdies. Same goes for a hyzer to the left. You can make par by only throwing RHFH with an anny but a simple backhand will park it.

The only reason I'll learn any kind of side arm is because of the Hammer drills. I use to FH and messed up my shoulder doing so because of bad form. But really I don't see much of a point to it aside from a few certain shots.

Although these guys have some pretty good shots FHing this hole and GG has probably the coolest FH birdie I've seen towards the end of the video.

what about when you need to go left, then right. like a dog leg right with a massive obstacle in the way?

that's when you bust out the Monster and FH Flex that baby around the tree or what-have-you.

Now that's what I'm talkin about! Ill never play a round without my monster may only use it 1-2 times a round but when I do its money FH flex

I've done it opposite most others. Started learning FH first this is the most comfortable for me. Was only getting 280-310 on drives till this week something clicked 375-400 with my surge. I'm slowly learning my BH with my buzzz and roc thankfully I joined this site and learned about discing down before I messed up my game. By this summer I hope to be able to throw my buzzz 275+

Learn FH if u havnt already.

The only reason I'll learn any kind of side arm is because of the Hammer drills. I use to FH and messed up my shoulder doing so because of bad form. But really I don't see much of a point to it aside from a few certain shots.

Although these guys have some pretty good shots FHing this hole and GG has probably the coolest FH birdie I've seen towards the end of the video.

That was a nice ace and a sweet putt.

Hi all, first post here. A friend once explained to me that if you think about throwing a baseball or a football or anything for that matter you wouldn't throw it BH. He believes FH is where it's all at because its more natural for the body to perform. I can see the logic in this. But that being said my FH is horrible as I'm primarily a RHBH player. Yet I think the more options one has to draw from the better the player. There are many holes on the courses that i play where i think "if only".

Just do what you're best at, and while you're playing slowly work in the other. But do try to learn both. I think most people agree that the more throws you know the more lines that open up for you.