• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] Slow and Beefy

MonkeyShine

Par Member
I'm looking for that perfect sidearm approach disc: flat, blunt-nosed, as slow as possible, with no high-speed turn and massive fade.

Doesn't exist.

But here are the ones that come the closest:

Pig - unfortunately, not enough plastic options
Rhyno - Star, Champion, GStar, etc. make this a great candidate.
Suspect - again, several plastic options, but a little too much glide
Harp - have only thrown the BT Soft, not bad, but breaks in fast
Breaker - not a fan of DGA, but this is a great disc, pretty OS and durable
Zone - some compare this to a Gator, I think its a bit slower. No turn.
Jokeri - not nearly OS enough, but I might give it another go
Gator - never like the deep rim on this one, but a reliable meathook.

Am I missing any that are FLAT, BLUNT, SLOW, and BEEFY?

I am looking for a sidearm disc that will sit down quick for approach shots. I typically just throw something faster since it will act very OS when powered down, like a Trident or Saint Pro, but I'd like something as slow as possible. Powering down a sidearm shot is tough, because the wrist snap gives the disc so much.

Any thoughts? Any success with any of these options?

Yeah, you missed one: the Crosslap Credo. That thing is pure beef from the jump. Here's my review of it:

And here's Mike C's (better) review as well:

Credo sounds like exactly what you are looking for. Maybe check out the pass-around currently going on.

The soft versions do a superb job of sticking where they land.

Either way it sounds like you could use some form work. Jokeri not being OS enough? Those are very OS putters. If you want to power down your FH, just standstill and use a little wrist flick. That's all you need for an approach shot.

Watch the first hole of this video, specifically how I throw the second shot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFpqoSSEMjc That's a 165g putter that even at max weight is more neutral than a jokeri, pig, credo etc.

Last edited:
I'd say the gator takes the cake.

the flat run JL at the factory store are incredible.

rhyno is overstable for a putter yes, but when used as a approach disc, or with some mustard is a very straight to small fade shooter.

you can find a flat gator easily these days.

never ever ever turns over no matter what the wind.

dumpy/beefy fade, with more hyzer will skip well.

for something that will stick I use pro rhynos. I have some old school pros (that just sit in the bag as replacements) as well as the FS run pro. The FS run are awsome and sit right where they land, they have the exact texture of ticondaroga pencil erasers.

I too avoided the Pig due to lack of plastic options, but, it the end I sucked it up and tried it out and am glad I did.

One of your needs is for it to sit down quickly, the Pig will do it.

Have no experience with the Credo, But I also bag a Suspect and have used a Gator. The Gator skips far too much for my use.

I think you're right, that the disc you want doesn't exist. The Credo might be worth a shot though.

You didn't like the lack of plastic options of the Pig, but the stiff R-Pro I had would hit and stick with the best of them. There are the Blizzard Champ runs, but they're skippers. It even has a beefy rim to match the flight.

I don't know if you'll find more plastic options than the Zone, but they all skip, even the softer Pro-Ds.
The Credo is a good option, but there's only one plastic option.
Sinus is good too, but plastic options are limited.
Gator is a lot faster than the Zone, and the Zone is pretty fast.