• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Snow in Rancho Cucamonga? (Innova Blizzard Technology)

victorb said:
7ontheline said:
I threw a guy's orange 139 blizzard teedevil into a slight headwind and it was silly flippy. I put extreme hyzer on it and it still flipped up, over, and burned out less than 250', no thanks!

I'm fairly certain when I say that these discs are not made to handle any sort of headwind.

my heavier bliz destroyers can handle a mild headwind.

Frank Delicious said:
victorb said:
7ontheline said:
I threw a guy's orange 139 blizzard teedevil into a slight headwind and it was silly flippy. I put extreme hyzer on it and it still flipped up, over, and burned out less than 250', no thanks!

I'm fairly certain when I say that these discs are not made to handle any sort of headwind.

do they get bounced around a lot? I think that out of all the blizzard discs, the destroyer should handle the wind the best - but I still wouldn't have guessed it could hold against a moderate headwind.

they get bounced around a little depending on the nose angle I released them at. moderate headwinds are when they start to break down.

victorb said:
Frank Delicious said:
victorb said:
7ontheline said:

do they get bounced around a lot? I think that out of all the blizzard discs, the destroyer should handle the wind the best - but I still wouldn't have guessed it could hold against a moderate headwind.

My 150 Destroyers have the stability to punch through straight on ~10-12 mph winds, but if a crosswind hits the bottom of the disc you can get some radical movement from side to side. I've had a few shots that looked great, but right when the discs started to fade, a crosswind blew them 80' farther left than I thought they were going to go. They've got pretty damn good glide even as they're tailing off.

Way fun to throw, but not as accurate in medium winds.

These 150g Blizzard bosses are pretty awesome. Indeed just like their heavier counterparts, they fight light wind very well, at least as well as my deflashed FR 175 pink opto Flows, plus they go farther and more easily than the flows.

Wind is usually bad for the predictable flight of any lightweight disc, regardless of plastic and stability. The decreased inertia makes the disc even more sensitive to nose angle, causing it to lift or drop faster than otherwise, and amplifying the torques that make it turn. Tailwind+light discs offers the promise of max distance, but of course this is not usually a predictable style of flight anyways.

That being said, I do sometimes carry my 150 Blizzard Katana on windy days for long tailwind shots, but the conditions have to be just right (e.g., steady, not gusty). But headwinds or strong cross-winds are a no-no.

The Boss and Destroyers handle wind pretty well considering the weight. I have thrown a friends blizzard boss and go ridiculous distance with almost no effort. Thrown in a tail wind, I wasn't sure it was going to come down. Threw it into a headwind and it started to flip, but regained it's flightpath and faded find. It was a medium headwind. The biggest thing I noticed is when it ran out of spin, it dropped from the sky and got a little manhandled by the breezes. FYI the weight on his boss was 138g
The destroyer was 147 and was surprisingly over-stable. Even putting anhyzer on it it still came out and handled the wind a lot better than the boss. It still had the same issue however when it ran out of steam. Altitude where these thrown, ~4,700' above sea level.

I haven't figured out my 157 boss yet. I think I'm being too gentle with it, and it's not netting me any more distance compared to my 175 pros. It IS getting me more distance when I'm throwing big, controlled hyzers though, so I know there is potential. The big hyzers I've thrown with it have been pretty spot on and in the 390'-400' range and I typically get to 420' golf distance with my pros, so I think I just need to be more aggressive even though the blizzard is so much lighter.

JR said:
Have you thrown the 157 the same way you throw the max weight one and is there a difference?

It's hard to tell since it's so much lighter. The release point and the rip out of my hand feels different. I'm just not used to how the release feels since I've never really thrown anything below 167 before.

150g Blizzard Dominators in-hand. Very Katana-y in feel with a massive rim. Very few bubbles in these, just a few teeny-tiny ones in the rim. Very pliable plastic & seems to lack the pronounced dome of earlier Blizzard. We'll see about flight probably tomorrow p.m.

Had some more 20+ mph winds today. My 150 Destroyers and Bosses with medium domes really bomb when the wind is favorable. They have glide to spare. If you're good at riding the wind and can throw relatively smooth and far (i.e. can control the high speed turn on them), they can help you stretch out your D on certain lines consistently. My casual DG buddies who throw <350' and are not sure how understable and overstable discs react to different situations in head/tail/crosswinds were all flummoxed when they tried to use their Blizzards though.

I'm still pretty impressed with them after a month of use.

victorb said:
JR said:
Have you thrown the 157 the same way you throw the max weight one and is there a difference?

It's hard to tell since it's so much lighter. The release point and the rip out of my hand feels different. I'm just not used to how the release feels since I've never really thrown anything below 167 before.

That can make a difference for sure but are using the same initial angles for hyzer and nose angle? I'd match those at first to see what the difference is from the other changes.

I'm still loving my 139 Destroyers. They are as long as seasoned Pros, but they are a lot less squirely and a lot more forgiving of nose angle issues. They are also still the best disc in my bag for long, high shots, they carry forward more than anything else I have. I'm also enjoying them for long straight shots that need to hook up hard at the end, I rarely hyzer out too early even when I give it too much hyzer or get it nose-up.

I've had success in a mild headwind and gusty tailwinds, but they get bounced around in a heavy head/cross wind. I'm pairing mine with heavy Stars.

Mine are definitely getting scuffed up easier than regular Champ, but I'm not seeing a difference in flight yet.

150g Blizzard Dominator:
Wicked fast. For me, faster than either Katana or Boss. Very understable, more so than Blizzard Katana, and nearly as so as R-Pro Katana. Not as domey as other recent Blizzard offerings, but very generous glide nonetheless. Great long bomb hyzerflipper, or turnover all the way from flat release. Pretty forgiving of nose angle upcreep for a warp-speed driver, with slightly nose-up hyzerflips still carrying out 325ish, a pretty long ways for me. Full-quality golf rips got out 360ish, longer than a pretty long ways for me. Maybe I'll try it for full-bore D at VA States this weekend (depending on weather conditions).

I kinda like this disc. More throwing is necessary before I do anything drastic, but my long-standing bag could be getting a major overhaul this season:
150 R-Pro Katana --> 150 Blizz Dominator
152 Champ Monarch --> 150 Champ Mamba
150 R-Pro Boss --> 150 Blizz Wraith

I just think I'm not meant to throw these discs. I've tried a few blizzard bosses, all heavier to help with release and feel in the hand, and they just don't fly well for distance for me. I'm pretty sure that I'll stick to pros for distance, but I'll keep the blizzard boss in the bag for huge controlled hyzers, which I can throw very predictably in the 400-420' range (which is my normal golf distance with my pros)

I don't think it has anything to do with my release or babying them after this many throws with them, I think the ones I have are just quite a bit more overstable than what I was expecting. Not a magical super-go-far disc but it will have it's uses.

I have tried the katana and I don't really like it cause it's really flippy when I throw it to hard so I bought a an ape the other just waiting for it to come.