• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

So close but yet so far away (almost 1st ace)

Well, I never thought this day would happen. I primarily throw RHFH and I've been maxing out around 220' as my longest shot. This weekend I changed my grip from a 2 finger stacked grip to just 1 finger. After throwing for 15 holes, I finally got the hang of it and started to rip some out by our novice groups standards. I went from a max of 220' to a max ~280' with most being in the 250-260' range on the last 6 throws of the day (was driving 2 discs to see differences). I was using my pink MVP volt and my Yellow Champ Krait. The Krait produced my longest shots by 20-30' over the volt.

On hole 16, I lost track of where my Krait went and when we went looking my wife told me to look about 50' further back then what I was looking. I told her that I don't throw that far, there is no way it's back there. Well, she was right it was way back there, about a 270' throw. That is when I started to throw 250'+ on 17 and 18 with both discs, something just finally clicked.

When we came up to hole 18 (247') that is when the magic started. I threw ~280' with the Krait, which was left of the basket but sailed ~30' past it. My volt throw on the other hand landed just shy of the basket. After the throw is when I got excited. During flight I figured it would end about 20' short. I was stunned, shocked, all the above, and then asked the disc why didn't you go in. I'm sure people have had much closer first ace misses but our group just started in July this year, and this is now the furthest closest ace in the group.

I know the Krait and Volt speeds are above my power level, but I cannot seem to throw mids FH at all yet. I keep working on them, but no luck. I need the wing to make it feel just right.

marion18.jpg
marion18_2.jpg

Cool story. Just wait till you start hitting metal or having chain outs. Then all of a sudden BAM. :D

I know the Krait and Volt speeds are above my power level, but I cannot seem to throw mids FH at all yet. I keep working on them, but no luck. I need the wing to make it feel just right.

Ignore the "what you should be throwing / disc speed" threads for now and visit that later. IMHO, if new to disc golf it is more fun to try drivers and struggle rather than start by working up from low speed discs. Throw what is comfortable in your hand / grip right now and focus on keeping level and following through on your throws.
In regard to forehanding mids, maybe a mid just will not fell right in a forehand grip for you and will fit you better throwing mids backhand.

Ignore the "what you should be throwing / disc speed" threads for now and visit that later. IMHO, if new to disc golf it is more fun to try drivers and struggle rather than start by working up from low speed discs.

best to ignore the "experts" and throw what you want to throw, let your game develop as you see fit

A fine philosophy for someone who just wants to have "fun". Now if he wants to say...

- Better his form
- Expand his skillset
- Increase the likelihood of one of those drives going in the bucket and sticking
- Lower his round scores

...all of which IMHO make the game more "fun", I'd suggest he learn to work with mids and putters, and learn how to throw backhand.

Dont sweat it mate. You have a much higher probability of hitting an ace on a really short hole with a putter or mid. Out of my 14 aces I have one with a Krait (skip ace) Nuke (ditto) Leopard (showing off for my daughter on a 220 foot hole) Volt (off the luckiest tree love of all time) Teerex (off a wall bounce, no lie) and two with the same Archangel way back in the day. The rest were putters and mids.

I commend your control though. If you are dialing in your accuracy, which you clearly are, distance will come in time but with practice. I also use a single-finger grip when forehanding but I can tell you it will rob you of distance. I use forehands for cut rollers, get out of trouble shots and thats about it.

I would highly reccomend practicing some backhand as well. Maybe not this year, but when the weather warms up next spring. Putter-only rounds can be a fun tool as well, but know that putters are pretty unforgiving of small errors and do require I slight different technique.

I dont think you were really looking for too much advice, so I'll stop there. Im not the greatest player so my words might be meaningless to you anyway. Nevertheless, keep at it and above all else KEEP HAVING FUN!

A fine philosophy for someone who just wants to have "fun". Now if he wants to say...

- Better his form
- Expand his skillset
- Increase the likelihood of one of those drives going in the bucket and sticking
- Lower his round scores

...all of which IMHO make the game more "fun", I'd suggest he learn to work with mids and putters, and learn how to throw backhand.

^^^^

I know exactly how you feel about the "why couldn't you just go in?" I stuck a tl in the side of the basket on a hole not too long back. I heard metal but no chains and then did not see my disc. Stepped out from behind the tree in front of the basket and there the disc was sticking right in the side. Even though it wasn't an ace I was elated. Felt so good.

Congratulations man. That is some darn nice driving for only playing for a third of a year. Keep up the practice. If you are not comfortable using mids on the course find a field and throw e them. That is what I did and now I use both mids and putters in my game all of the time. The mids and putters will help your form a lot and when you can make them do the right thing you will see huge improvements in driving accuracy.

Yeah, just enjoy yourself and you will get better just by playing more (more reps). Every aspect of your game will improve.

Thanks everyone. Tips are always welcome.

I will drive with a driver FH but use a mid or putter BH for approach. I don't get a lot of practice time but when I do I try working on mids using my FH. Really need to practice putting also. I have a basket in my backyard, just finding the time is difficult and when I do it's a what should I practice right now.

Last night on hole 2 of the course, there is a 220' left hand dog leg that is blind so you have no idea how close you got to the basket. Well I generally do pretty good on the hole and the last 3 times I've been withing 10-20' of the basket after driving. Well last night after I threw and about when you would think it lands, everyone heard a ching. The group said "You aced it!" I said no, that ching was behind us and I showed them the group way behind us approaching and putting hole 14. They didn't believe me and said "no way, you aced it.". Well I let my emotions run a bit and thought maybe, just maybe. Well, turned out I was right, the ching was behind us and I was about 5' away. Still a nice throw though. Rest of the round went well but no other close aces, just nice closer drives to the baskets then normal.

I primarily drive forehand but i don't forehand mids. i doubt i ever will. they just dont fit into my hand right.

there's really no universal way that works for everyone imo

I know exactly how you feel about the "why couldn't you just go in?" I stuck a tl in the side of the basket on a hole not too long back. I heard metal but no chains and then did not see my disc. Stepped out from behind the tree in front of the basket and there the disc was sticking right in the side. Even though it wasn't an ace I was elated. Felt so good.

If you did not see it hit the basket, then thats an ace. Or at least a 1 on the scorecard.

You might be quite sure that it did not go in over the edge, and therefore might have "moral" issues with calling it an ace. But as far as the rules go, the disc is to be considered in, in that situation.

Latest posts