• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

So many divisions!!!!!!!!W

As an intermediate player I think the payout system is fine and by the number of tournaments that are going on I think most people are happy with the current system. Correct me if I am wrong but a TD can make any am division trophy only. They can also limit the number of divisions.

As an intermediate player I think the payout system is fine and by the number of tournaments that are going on I think most people are happy with the current system. Correct me if I am wrong but a TD can make any am division trophy only. They can also limit the number of divisions.

Yes and yes. Plus they can offer a "trophy only" option to any player who wants it.

It matters because it's clearly a biased reallocation of wealth, of real money that an amateur entrant throws away, just gives up to whichever Open players play well that day.

I would hardly characterize it as "throwing away" if the Amateur player voluntarily pays the entry, gets (on average) the entire value of the entry back in merchandise, PLUS gets to play in an organized tournament.

I'd rather play in a field of 2 against an equally skilled player than get creamed every time having to play against people rated 100 points higher than me. I'd prefer more divisions, not less. And there's no way I'd play tournaments like the ones proposed, just like I have no desire to go get creamed in the trophy only rec men divisions offered right now at most local events.

I have a question concerning whether to play my rating vs. playing my age. I'm 46 and currently rated 801. my rating should go up quite a bit next update. I'm playing rec now with people 20 -25 years my junior. I can usually hang with them. When should i make the jump to Advanced masters? i finished t-7 in rec yesterday. that same score would have finished dead last in adv. masters.

I have a question concerning whether to play my rating vs. playing my age. I'm 46 and currently rated 801. my rating should go up quite a bit next update. I'm playing rec now with people 20 -25 years my junior. I can usually hang with them. When should i make the jump to Advanced masters? i finished t-7 in rec yesterday. that same score would have finished dead last in adv. masters.

There's no reason to move out of a division you're qualified for other than you wanting to. If you feel like playing with people your age will be more fun or rewarding, do it. If you feel that way about playing rec, play rec.

There's no reason to move out of a division you're qualified for other than you wanting to. If you feel like playing with people your age will be more fun or rewarding, do it. If you feel that way about playing rec, play rec.
What i might do this year is play a mixture of both. See how i do. is there a minimum rating for Adv masters?

No minimum ratings on any pdga divisions, jumping back and forth like that is just fine. The only time you would want to avoid that is in a points series where you'd want to stay in one division to earn points rather than splitting them.

Perhaps those businesses shouldn't be in the disc golf business.

The problem about this attitude is that you want to treat tournaments as retail events, where shopping is the highest priority and good competition is secondary.

DING DING DING! We have winners.

I played in a (non-PDGA) tournament this past weekend that suffers from this problem. There were 4 Open players, 12 Advanced (my division), and 16 Intermediate players.

Why play tougher competition when you can bag and get more $$?

Who was the real winner? The guy selling all the discs. These tournament shops have no obligation to stock decent plastic (it's all run-of-the-mill crap) but you are required to spend your money there at their "script" prices.

It's coddling on an egregious level.

right gotcha. too bad there's no int. masters division.

I would say that the adv masters is, for the most part, at about the same level as int in most tournaments. I'm in int right now, next year I'll hit 40 and will start playing adv masters which I'm definitely looking forward to.

I'm in Indy... what tournament did you play yesterday? I wasn't aware that there were any in our area...

I would say that the adv masters is, for the most part, at about the same level as int in most tournaments. I'm in int right now, next year I'll hit 40 and will start playing adv masters which I'm definitely looking forward to.

I'm in Indy... what tournament did you play yesterday? I wasn't aware that there were any in our area...
A group of us locals went down to the Seviren Lang Memorial down in Georgetown.

I guess I'm going the opposite direction here... but I love the am "payouts" and probably wouldn't play otherwise. I don't need a silly trophy to sit in my office. The excitement and anticipation of how much my voucher will be and what I can spend it on is part of the whole tournament feel that I love.

I'll probably never play pro... so without the am voucher system, I'd probably just play leagues instead. For now, I travel far and wide across the country boosting the economy on the hope I get to walk through the Disc Golf Monkey trailer to get new discs/apparel/swag.

Sounds like I'm in the minority here, but wanted to chime in...

Totally respect your right to play for the reason you want but this is absolutely baffling to me. You're saying you play for the "payout" and that the only reason you travel all over the country is to spend money on the hopes you get a return on that investment to spend on plastic. Honestly that sounds like you're pretending to live the touring pro life. Why not spend your money on the plastic and just play leagues like you said if you're not even playing the tournaments for actual playing? You could probably save a boat load of money.

I don't think I'll ever understand this mentality but I do see it a lot. I guess it's fine if you aren't one of the people playing well below their skill level just to win a voucher. I played with a guy in the GBO who said he intentionally plays small easy tourneys in TX and keeps his rating below the Intermediate cutoff just so he can come up to the GBO and clean up. That's crazy to me. He could have saved the lodging, the gas, the entrance fee, and just spent that on plastic and made off better. Silly what seeing your name at the top of some list will make you do.