• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Somewhat Overstable Fairway driver

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I'm just getting into Gazelles myself, and I've got a DX right now, but I'm looking for some other plastics to compliment.

One plastic I notice you didn't rate was the Pro Gazelles from the pro shop, how would you rate those, especially compared to GSTAR or DX?

Haven't thrown them officially so didn't rank them. I did get one star that I think was mislabeled pro, though. It was flippy and didn't match my two other stars, plastic felt very different too.

I don't mean to take over this thread though. Sorry guys.

I had 175 DX teebird that would only flip and ride an anhyzer to the ground. Could not hyzer flip it to flat. My 167 star TL is a great stable fairway that barely flips up and always fades at the end. I just bought a 175 glo teebird that is damn near firebird overstable. I'd try a star TL or teebird if I were you...

I apologize for not reading the whole thread before replying. Someone may have already said the same thing...

As others have said, get a Teebird. I'd recommend getting a Star Teebird. If it starts out with more fade than you want, it will beat up to be what exactly want. I personally don't like GStar Teebirds. They tend to beat up quicker than Star. For me, GStar Teebirds also start out less stable than I like.

Lat 64 Saint, it's my go to fairway

Saints are good; I have a GL Saint. But the Saint is not overstable and will season in to stable/understable over time. A Saint Pro might be more overstable, but might also not be what the OP is looking for...

My 2¢; is that he did say it's his go-to "Fairway Driver" and as someone who has a non-Pro Saint and I have to really get on it almost as hard as my speed 10's and 11's to get it out to distance.

If he powered down on a Saint and threw it like I might throw a River, for instance, I could see it resisting turn pretty well since he said he uses it as a Fairway.

My 2¢; is that he did say it's his go-to "Fairway Driver" and as someone who has a non-Pro Saint and I have to really get on it almost as hard as my speed 10's and 11's to get it out to distance.

If he powered down on a Saint and threw it like I might throw a River, for instance, I could see it resisting turn pretty well since he said he uses it as a Fairway.

I don't disagree with you. My concern (based on my own experiences with the Saint (and Rivers)) is that the Saint is going to season in to stable/understable, whereas a Star Teebird will retain its fade considerably longer.

I have thrown a Gold Line Saint before. It flew like my Star Valkyrie for me which is not what I am looking for.

I am getting 250-280 out of my Gazelle. My Valkyrie is all over the place in terms of distance. I am still working on my form a lot. My Valkyrie is my only disc that is past a speed 7 that I throw regularly.

Champ TeeBirds are great. They wil be overstsble at first, so be patient. Star TeeBirds are also good. I throw both.

^This.

Kodachrome nailed it right out of the gate. We all want that ever elusive perfect little/no fade but can handle power and won't flip fairway driver. Teebirds will be there at some point in their lives. Champs will hold that position in your bag the longest as they hold stability the longest. Like Bardu said, you have to be patient at first. So throw a Star until your Champ is slightly seasoned. I personally find 168ish the sweet spot.

You could try a Crave if Champ Teebird is a little too stable for what you are looking for. And a Servo if it is a little too understable. But Servo might have more fade than you want.

I've only used my Servo (174g) for 4 rounds but I'm completely in love with this disc. It is a very stable fairway with so much control to it. I feel like I should spend hundreds of $$$ buying Servos online in case MVP's manufacturing facility gets attacked by terrorists and they aren't able to produce anymore. I am full of Servasciousness right now. Get one!

I have thrown a Gold Line Saint before. It flew like my Star Valkyrie for me which is not what I am looking for.

I am getting 250-280 out of my Gazelle. My Valkyrie is all over the place in terms of distance. I am still working on my form a lot. My Valkyrie is my only disc that is past a speed 7 that I throw regularly.

At this range I would look at a Gstar Teebird. Champ Teebirds will be far too overstable to glide out there, especially when fresh.

Here's some guys chucking Teebirds in all the plastics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp7PRbeiwhk

I am gonna nominate the Big Z Talon! I threw mine a bit today, these things are zero HSS with maybe 2.5 fade. And I presume the fade will beat out of it as well. I forgot how much I liked this mold for forehand. It just feels right in the hand. Not to mention, the stamp is effing awesoooooooome. Good job, Discraft. Now, bring it back into regular production...

Given this I'd definitely pick up a teebird. I would pick up either a light GSTAR (~165) or even a starlight (~155) teebird . It is likely a heavier champ will be too OS for what you want at those distances.

I used to throw these in Elite X (showing my age hahaha) and it is so much better in Big Z.

2ps2f68.jpg

Quite a looker in Big Z, I might add.

26473fo.jpg

Just as flat as they have always been, pic doesn't do the flatness justice. Nice raised shoulder kinda creates the illusion of dominess in pics.

156fyuf.jpg

Here is a shot of the stamp in direct light, I lucked out and got a really cool one.

Old molds in new plastics are the best. I learned that with my Champion Gazelle, and these Discraft molds seem to be no different. I did not expect to rekindle my affair with the Talon, as I forgot about them long ago, but man, am I glad that Discraft messed up my order and sent me a Talon instead of a Reaper. Speaking of which, the Reaper should get here today, that is the mold I have been waiting for. Discraft is slowly but surely taking over my bag if they keep this up. Come on, Big Z MRV or MRX!

Hahahahah, wow... that stamp sure looks EL-AAAA-BOORATE :p

Hahahaha yeah, she purrrrrrrrdy. I definitely dig it, which is odd, because usually I could not care less about stamps. I will be sad when it erodes, but it is a thrower, dammit. Wonder if my Reaper will have a freaky deaky cool stamp color/pattern as well... C'mon, Jellybean!

Last edited: