• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Son Hitting Shoulder On Pull

retleftolc

Hello all.

My son (12) had to learn to throw left handed due to an arm injury last fall. He now uses either based on the shot. This issue is specific to right handed drives. He is still getting use to the right hand again, and his form is suspect at best. Previous to the injury he would hit his left shoulder on the pull every once in a while. Now it is about twice a round.

He has a tendency to raise and slightly open his right shoulder early. It makes sense to me that this is the cause of the left shoulder bashing. After a round this past weekend, he had 4 red/bruised lines on his left shoulder. It's actually fun to watch because the disc is often thrown at break neck speeds straight into the ground, but I suppose I should help him fix it.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Ret

stop pulling the disc in so close-- pull through should start out away from the body and disc should never have a chance to hit the other shoulder.

Pretty common issue with players though and not rotating the shoulders like they are attached to a long pole. Probably is losing good posture when starting to pull though and overall timing is not in sync. Often associated with turning too early in the run up or trying to reach back too far.

Hello all.

My son (12) had to learn to throw left handed due to an arm injury last fall. He now uses either based on the shot. This issue is specific to right handed drives. He is still getting used to the right hand again, and his form is suspect at best. Previous to the injury he would hit his left shoulder on the pull every once in a while. Now it is about twice a round.

He has a tendency to raise and slightly open his right shoulder early. It makes sense to me that this is the cause of the left shoulder bashing. After a round this past weekend, he had 4 red/bruised lines on his left shoulder. It's actually fun to watch because the disc is often thrown at break neck speeds straight into the ground, but I suppose I should help him fix it.
Just give him time to work through it. If it was his primary throw before, he will be able to get the kinks out and be fine eventually. If he really is worried about it tell him not to mix in left handed throws until he has the right side fixed, but that seems like a bad idea to me.

notice where the disc starts and position of the non-throwing shoulder/arm during the pull-through at their climax of the reach back.

It's actually fun to watch because the disc is often thrown at break neck speeds straight into the ground, but I suppose I should help him fix it.

I have nothing constructive or helpful to add, but I wanted to point out that this really made me laugh.

I used to do this all the time. Tell him to reach back farther away from his body like Barry Schultz or Philo Brathwaite. He should stop hitting himself, and if his problem is similar to mine, he should gain some distance as well.

I used to do this all the time. Tell him to reach back farther away from his body like Barry Schultz or Philo Brathwaite. He should stop hitting himself, and if his problem is similar to mine, he should gain some distance as well.

I do this occasionally as well. I tend to do it more on turnover shots so maybe pay attention to what type of shot he is trying to throw when it happens.

If he is too close to his body and trying to throw a turnover or a torque monkey drive with an over stable driver it is really easy to do if you turn your shoulders too early. It usually comes down to timing of the hip/shoulder turn along with disc position on the pull through. Also watch the plane of the disc as he pulls through. If he is pulling from high to low it also happens more often.

BTW, it hurts like hell and I have a scar on my left shoulder blade from a particular nasty hit from about 6 months ago so tell him I feel his pain.

Last edited:
Agree with the above posters, if you are going to hit a part of your body during the throw it should be the right nip(RHBH) so the elbow leads out forward, but even still you don't want to hit yourself.

I should clarify, he is hitting his arm. Just below the deltoid, between the bi and triceps.

Latest posts