• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Stag vs Saint Pro? VIP/Opto instead of Tournament/GL?

What speed 7/8 overstable disc would you choose?

• Total voters

pecosROB

Birdie Member
Hate to make another thread after asking y'all about another disc, but I'm trying to decide if I want to get a Discmania FD2 in C-Line, Saint Pro, or Stag as a slower overstable disc. And would y'all prefer Opto/VIP or GL/Tourn or both?

My current overstable discs I use are:
XXX (gl)
Trident (gl) - I use this much more than the XXX
Shark3 (champion)
PD Freak (S-Line)
Star Destroyer
Moonshine King

I wanted to get a slower overstable disc and need help deciding which one...

Last edited:
Saint Pro and Stag were both big disappointments...the hss just isn't there even though they fade well. They're ok at medium power or when the wind is low. Haven't gotten a chance to throw the FD2 yet but I've heard good things. Hard to beat a good champ Teebird, honestly. Of the ones on your list, I'd probably get an opto Saint Pro but depending on your power it might overlap a bit with your PD.

Saint Pro and Stag were both big disappointments...the hss just isn't there even though they fade well. They're ok at medium power or when the wind is low. Haven't gotten a chance to throw the FD2 yet but I've heard good things. Hard to beat a good champ Teebird, honestly. Of the ones on your list, I'd probably get an opto Saint Pro but depending on your power it might overlap a bit with your PD.

I just lost one of my Teebirds the other day, left it on the course like a dumbass towards the end of an unforgiving round. I just might have to get a Champ Teebird. I have one already but the wife uses it and it's a much lighter disc than I like to throw.

I wouldn't say the Saint Pro is overstable depending on how far you are throwing them, but they are what I would choose. For overstable at the same speed I prefer the Felon, but again that is for my arm speed and distance. Overall I think the Saint Pro is a great disc.

Get you a FD and an FD2/2nd run FD. Great combo to sit under the PD. I use to miss my cycle of teebirds but any longer.

I wonder how the FD compares with the Leopard, slightly faster and more stable?

I wouldn't say the Saint Pro is overstable depending on how far you are throwing them, but they are what I would choose. For overstable at the same speed I prefer the Felon, but again that is for my arm speed and distance. Overall I think the Saint Pro is a great disc.

I actually looked at the Felons also but I'm kind of leaning towards an FD2 because I already have the PD which is similar to a Felon but faster with less fade and a TeeRex that I haven't used because I want to dye it first.

Depends on the plastic but the FD flies how I always wanted the leopard too. Super straight with minimal fade. Not much faster and about the same stability depending on the run and plastic. The thing I liked more with the FD was discmania descriptions between each run I knew exactly what I was getting. I always had to fondle and try out different leopards to get one I liked. Also I found that once I got a good cycle of FDs and PDs I could drop the TD I was using as well. But it depends on what you're using that disc for.

FD is more stable than most Leopards, but I've had a couple champ Leopards that were dead straight like a TL...they never really beat in to what a Leopard is supposed to be like. Teerex is a weird disc, but if you've got a good one they make a fantastic really-high-wind headwind driver.

I've found the VIP Stag to be the closest thing to a seasoned Champ Teebird out of the box. I'm really liking the glide and the fact that even when I coax quite a bit of turn it usually comes back pretty well. Don't know if it'll kick the Teebird, but I've been reaching for it a lot lately.

Depends on a lot of factors. If your max with fairways is 275'-300', the Stag will be pretty stable/overstable for you, and the Saint Pro will be downright beefy. At 325'-350', the Stag will have lots of turn and get crushed in wind and the Saint Pro will be straight to fade in calm conditions and also not fair too well in wind. Once I hit these kinds of distances I dropped both discs from my bag because I wanted something with more HSS. It gets windy here in New Orleans!

I Voted Opto Saint Pro: I was doing a pretty scientific head to head a few weeks ago with an Opto Saint Pro, and Champion Thunderbird.
Long story short, they were shot for shot in pretty much every category, line, distance, placement etc. the only difference was Hyzer Bombs, and Spike Hyzers. The Thunderbird went about 30-50' further on those lines. I've been going with the Thunderbird for a while, but I also really like the Escape in this slot as well. Just picked an Opto, going to do a 3 way head to head, Saint Pro ThunderB and Lucid Escape.

I say Stag but looks like everyone is leaning towards Opto Saint Pro. And there is a nice white one I saw...