• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Stand still practice shot.

Rrabb1t

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw06WhI-Egg

Been working whole winter on getting rid of strong arm syndrome and trying to get as much power as I can from my hips. I've definetly improved a lot but I still feel like I could do better. Sorry about the quality of the video, I'll try to get a better camera soon.

Any and all feedback is most appreciated.

I can reach 330ish feet from stand still with a roc3 right now. Propably around 370 with a hyzer flippable driver. No idea about x-step distance, but I've thrown 400 feet before on a golf line.

Last edited:
So, there's a bunch of stuff here, i'll try to address each thing.

Weight Shift:
You're not crushing the can. Your weight is back in your reachback, and never shifts forward until right around to the power pocket. You want your weight shifting forward to be the first thing that happens, which then gets your upper body moving, which then gets your arm moving.

Hips:
Based on the video, i don't think you're really using your hips at all. A) because of the weight shift, and B) because your left leg is popping up off the ground when instead it should be driving inwards and applying torque to the system. Generally, if you're using power from the ground upwards, your left knee is being driven inward, and ends up with your left leg shooting back behind your right leg once all the torque gets transferred to the disc. Right now, your left foot is coming off the ground (you're spinning out) and you're going over the top of your brace. If there was any kind of x-step/forward momentum involved, you would have had to take a giant step forward after the throw in order to not fall on your face.

Watch how the pro's are driving their left Knee inward:

How to use the weight shift to get everything moving

more on the hips:

Hopefully that helps, sorry if it is direct and to the point, don't have all day to sugar coat things :)

Yeah, your weight is going over top your front knee and also notice your elbow is bent at the max reachback and the plane of the disc is not perpendicular to your chest/shoulders and your throwing shoulder is rather high throughout the throw. Need to loosen up your arm/shoulder and let it extend back from the weight/inertia(heaviness) of the disc going backward and keep the disc more perpendicular to the chest and shoulders throughout the swing.

Focus on pushing off of your left foot's instep rather than rotating up to the toes. You'll get up on the toes still, but it will hopefully be a way to get you into the proper position to use the correct muscles.

Also get your rear arm in closer to your body. I have issues remembering to do this too. But it can help prevent the rear shoulder from dragging (although I don't see that in your throw much).

Hopefully that helps, sorry if it is direct and to the point, don't have all day to sugar coat things :)

:clap:

Thanks for your tips I certainly understand what you mean about knee driving inwards now after you pointed it out and I have tons to work with now.

Oh and you certainly don't need to sugarcoat anything. The level of disc golf isn't very high where I come from and there's not really many people I can ask for tips so I really appreciate straight and to the point kind of advice.

Thank you!

Yeah, your weight is going over top your front knee and also notice your elbow is bent at the max reachback and the plane of the disc is not perpendicular to your chest/shoulders and your throwing shoulder is rather high throughout the throw. Need to loosen up your arm/shoulder and let it extend back from the weight/inertia(heaviness) of the disc going backward and keep the disc more perpendicular to the chest and shoulders throughout the swing.

I know I'm not focusing on completely extending my reach back right now. That's because I've tried to keep everything as loose as possible during the reach back to avoid strong arming which has always been a problem for me. Just trying to get the looseness to my muscle memory if you understand what I mean.

Point about shoulder being high is very good. I guess I'm trying too hard to keep my elbow up which is another thing I wasn't doing before.

Thanks for your tips!

Focus on pushing off of your left foot's instep rather than rotating up to the toes. You'll get up on the toes still, but it will hopefully be a way to get you into the proper position to use the correct muscles.

Also get your rear arm in closer to your body. I have issues remembering to do this too. But it can help prevent the rear shoulder from dragging (although I don't see that in your throw much).

Thanks. I do see I was more rotating rather than pushing off my left foot now. That rear arm point is good. That's something I've never thought about, just tried to keep the left hand out of the way in general.

Try to extend your reach back all the way. I find that if I don't, I don't get the correct timing into my plant. Getting the full reach back really helps with the timing of my other body positions.

Try to extend your reach back all the way. I find that if I don't, I don't get the correct timing into my plant. Getting the full reach back really helps with the timing of my other body positions.

So, to get the timing exactly right. Reachback extends until weight shifts from back leg to front leg (from big toe to heel) at which point arm starts moving forward.

Then the drive from hips should come at same time as the disc is reaching my chest/core are at which point I should accelerate as much as possible?

Also I shouldn't pivot around my heel before the disc is gone from my hand. Correct?

So, to get the timing exactly right. Reachback extends until weight shifts from back leg to front leg (from big toe to heel) at which point arm starts moving forward.

Then the drive from hips should come at same time as the disc is reaching my chest/core are at which point I should accelerate as much as possible?

Also I shouldn't pivot around my heel before the disc is gone from my hand. Correct?
There's some fuzzy areas in timing there from toe to heel, it really just depends.

It's hard to explain the hips, for the most part they just need to get out of the way and pivot, not really driving during the throw. The drive is really from your forward momentum from the rear foot, but that ship should have sailed by the time the disc is at your chest and it's all kinetic reaction.

Heel pivot timing varies, largely from balance/weightshift, sometimes from how much torque you are willing to put on the leg.