• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Standing throws

Asian Style

Par Member
Focusing on a few things right now. Trying to brace and stop my body moving forward and also working on pushing off with the rear foot and keeping the heel moving forward ahead of the toes.

Help and critique are appreciated, thank you.

No expert here, but I've been working with Will Schusterick's video, especially the part on the standing still throw. Check it out, it should help. Here's a link, right to the section on the standing still part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30cUNsWOYSI#t=166

Edit: Looking at your form compared to Will's, looks like you need more weight shift from the left to right leg, possibly pick up your right leg and extend a little bit when you throw instead of keeping it stationary.

Notice the 1st pic, my front shoulder is still closed and I'm more forward, so I have this power pocket through my core. Your shoulder is off plane and open and balance too far behind your front heel. Also notice where your off arm is, lagging behind the body, my off arm is tucked against the front side so my weight is forward.

2nd pic the yellow line shows the extension away from the core/hips, your line is short armed, where I've extended the disc as far away from my core as possible. Also note your off arm is away from your core dragging the rotation down.

3rd pic shows the finish, I've maintained the same spine tilt and shoulder plane throughout the throw. You are losing your posture and the next few frames your spine goes almost horizontal.

Trap your tilt forward, shoulders over knees:

No expert here, but I've been working with Will Schusterick's video, especially the part on the standing still throw. Check it out, it should help. Here's a link, right to the section on the standing still part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30cUNsWOYSI#t=166

Edit: Looking at your form compared to Will's, looks like you need more weight shift from the left to right leg, possibly pick up your right leg and extend a little bit when you throw instead of keeping it stationary.

Thanks, I've watched that video quite a few times before. I've tried mimicking Will's form but the guy is gumby. All legs and arms, lol. I'll keep working on my weight shift, it's what I've been trying to focus on with my focus on bracing and using the rear foot.

Notice the 1st pic, my front shoulder is still closed and I'm more forward, so I have this power pocket through my core. Your shoulder is off plane and open and balance too far behind your front heel. Also notice where your off arm is, lagging behind the body, my off arm is tucked against the front side so my weight is forward.

2nd pic the yellow line shows the extension away from the core/hips, your line is short armed, where I've extended the disc as far away from my core as possible. Also note your off arm is away from your core dragging the rotation down.

3rd pic shows the finish, I've maintained the same spine tilt and shoulder plane throughout the throw. You are losing your posture and the next few frames your spine goes almost horizontal.

Trap your tilt forward, shoulders over knees:

Thank you! Those still photos and diagrams are extremely useful and give me a good idea of what you are talking about now. So to summarize...

1. I need to keep my shoulder more closed through the pivot, it seems I'm opening it too early? I also need to keep my front shoulder down, at least so it's in line with my spine and forms a T, but I wonder if this will cause me to throw too low? Can you elaborate what you mean and which direction when you say my weight is too far behind my front heel? As in too far to the right or back?

2. Is the problem here my reach back? I should reach out instead of back? Or is it the way I'm pulling it in? Would the proper solution be for me to try and reach out and away from my body on my reach back without overextending my posture? Definitely will work on keeping my off arm in closer for a quicker turn.

3. Do you mean my spine goes vertical? (straight up and down?) I'm not sure what the fix is for this. I think I feel like I may fall over. I will try to stay over my knees, perhaps the problem is I naturally want to stand up after a throw and I'm doing it too early before I've finished the throw?

Thank you so much for the help!

1. Yes you open before you get balanced on the front leg(weight forward). That's going to change the shoulder plane. Look at the pics and the angle of the front knee to heel, the middle pic really shows how my spine is still braced behind the leg in its tilted angle. You have no core compression between the shoulders and knees there.

2. Your reachback looks ok, it's when you plant things go awry because you aren't getting your weight forward or braced properly.

3. Yes, watch the video above. You should also be in balance dynamically, like you could hold 200lbs over your head at any point in the throw without losing balance.

Thanks, I think part of the shoulder problem is as I'm using my rear foot to help shove my hip forward to a braced position, it's tilting my spine towards the back of tee and causing my front shoulder to rise if that makes sense. Do you have any tips for that?

Shift your weight from behind you, not from the front:

Ahhhh, makes sense. So many things to remember in such a quick motion. I will work on keeping my front shoulder down, bringing in my off arm, using my rear foot to shift behind me instead of in front, extending the disc away from my core, and maintaining my spine position.

One quick note, I think I started off so paranoid about "rounding" the disc, that's why I don't try and extend it away from my body. How deep should I expect my elbow bend to get? I guess I will try it and record the results.

Shifting from behind you has to do with the front leg bracing like the golf vid above. Get your head braced on the front leg before you swing. It will change how your body rotates everything. Part of the issue is just getting your body out of the way.

Just get your elbow forward of the shoulder before the extension and shoulder starts turning the elbow. Rounding typically starts during the inward "pull" from the reachback or lack of inward move, and typically ends up shortening the outward arc. You actually want to extend the swing outward from the pec to create a longer outward arc.

This should help get your body out of the way, where's he talking about having this access to swing through.

In that video, when he is braced against the front, his front shoulder looks high. Is that because he is doing a downswing as opposed to how we swing in disc golf? Or is it just the angle? I've been watching so many shawn clement videos that, that part may have seeped into my brain at some point and that might be part of the reason my front shoulder is so high when I'm trying to brace. Thoughts?

The shoulder should rotate on a plane. Hyzer(golf shot) to flat it will go low to high. You open your shoulder early and shift from in the front so it goes high early.

If you are comparing yourself to Will S, stop, he is a freak of nature and if his posture didn't collapse he would be throwing as far as Ken or Marc Jarvis.