• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Star SL Replacement Ideas??

My heart broke along with the SL mold in 2011. I cried out, along with many others, to Innova about it and they tried to have the mold repaired (who knows what they really did). Unfortunately, the "repaired" SL mold discs were not the same. They were much domier and, somehow, at the same time, more stable to overstable than the originals.

My heart broke too. Sad, sad day.

Don't drop the SL just buy a bunch of CFR SL from disc golf values and other websites. 10 should last you the rest of your life. I currently have one seasoned and another that is brand new. Great disc for long anhyzers that land flat, rollers ending left, forehand for weaker players, smooth s-curves that don't have a hard fade at the end, and finesse hyzer-flips that end left.

If you don't want to continue using an OOP disc than go with the Surge SS or Rogue. Both have a similar flight path on the charts. About 2 years ago I switched from the Surge SS to the SL. They both fly very similar and it was a smooth transition. They were perfect disc for my forehand arm strength and snap.

I have to agree with the Surge SS. Not only do they fly almost exactly the same, but the feel in hand is closer than any other disc I have come across, Northman included.

I've been looking for a great forehand disc, maybe this is it...
But the trespass kind of turns for me. Is the SL faster and/or more overstable than a star SL?

I haven't thrown the SL a ton, but I'd agree that the north man definitely has more turn and less fade. I have thrown the rogue a lot either, but it's decently close. Perhaps closer in their champion like plastic.

As a side note, I've played disc golf for quite a few years, and I've never seen anyone bag the SL. Until... Shortly after the news got out that they were discontinued. Someone showed up to league (who I never saw throw one) with one and start really touting the disc. Sigh. The limited nature somehow made it so good... Very interesting.

BTW...I have the older star SL, flat as a pancake. White 167-169g I believe 7/10 just because the scuffing shows a little more on the white discs... Otherwise an 8/10. Little ink. Just sitting on my shelf the last 4 years because I don't throw them. Of you want to trade (preferred saint pros) or buy it, shoot me a PM. I'd like it to go to a good home.

I've been looking for a great forehand disc, maybe this is it...
But the trespass kind of turns for me. Is the SL faster and/or more overstable than a star SL?

The SL is slower and slightly more hss while the trespass has more lss. I have never thrown the trespass so I am referring to inFlight chart.

How far can you throw forehand? For me I max out at 350' and I don't have enough arm speed and snap to use 11 speed+ drivers efficiently. I rely on some turn for max distance and I am proficient with modifying the release angle. I can get a lot different shots out of the disc even after using it for 2 years. Given it has some inherent turn once it seasons this disc might not be a good fit for you consider the trespasses turn was a turn off.

Any comments on the Dismania CD Craze?
Flight ratings are the same as SL. I have never thrown the CD but the SL is my go to driver. (Lucky I have a stash of 'em)

Any comments on the Dismania CD Craze?
Flight ratings are the same as SL. I have never thrown the CD but the SL is my go to driver. (Lucky I have a stash of 'em)

The CD will be more stable.

I have a brand new 171g star SL if anyone wants it.

What you want is an escape. Speed 10, same stability as an SL. Flies very far, turns a little, doesn't fade too much. More stable than a northman and inertia, faster than a striker and saint, slower than an archon or flow, etc. etc. What you want is an escape.

The escape is considered a speed 9 fairway driver and the OP would be giving up distance choosing that over the rest of the suggestions.

The speed classification of 9 on the escape is incorrect, as most flight numbers tend to be. It even has the wider 2.0cm rim width to match the sarfire, sl, orc, and beast (and not just on that often incorrect PDGA .pda). The escape is also molds up less overstable than the flight numbers suggest, it is easy to throw straight and faaarr. I've thrown a star SLs, a few Pro Starfires, and a variety of Escapes and it's my experience that the escape is actually faster and flies farther than the SL. I'm certain that that the OP would really adore an escape, especially because the plastic is so great, which is why it was my only recommendation. I haven't bagged an escape in a long while btw, I throw an avenger in that place which is slower and only flies that straight when very worn, I just happen to really admire the escape for it's speed, stability, shape, and plastic. Especially for those who don't throw with tremendous speed as a long distance or possibly even long hyzer disc depending on how fast they throw.

The speed classification of 9 on the escape is incorrect, as most flight numbers tend to be. It even has the wider 2.0cm rim width to match the sarfire, sl, orc, and beast (and not just on that often incorrect PDGA .pda). The escape is also molds up less overstable than the flight numbers suggest, it is easy to throw straight and faaarr. I've thrown a star SLs, a few Pro Starfires, and a variety of Escapes and it's my experience that the escape is actually faster and flies farther than the SL. I'm certain that that the OP would really adore an escape, especially because the plastic is so great, which is why it was my only recommendation. I haven't bagged an escape in a long while btw, I throw an avenger in that place which is slower and only flies that straight when very worn, I just happen to really admire the escape for it's speed, stability, shape, and plastic. Especially for those who don't throw with tremendous speed as a long distance or possibly even long hyzer disc depending on how fast they throw.

The rim width makes sense thanks for the clarification TimBurton. Maybe I should't believe dd website lol. According to inflight the escape is identical. So that makes it northman, escape, surge ss, rogue, and archon suggested so far.