• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Star Thunderbird Jeremy Koling (Tour Series)

necro bump

this thread was about the 2017 release. I see that 2017s go for good/silly (you choose) money on FB

My question
How does the 2017 Koling Thunderbird compare to the 2018 release?

and how do the Luster Champ Joe Revere Thunderbirds compare?

necro bump

this thread was about the 2017 release. I see that 2017s go for good/silly (you choose) money on FB

My question
How does the 2017 Koling Thunderbird compare to the 2018 release?

and how do the Luster Champ Joe Revere Thunderbirds compare?

I've been eyeing those Rovere Birds: would like to hear as well.

I've been eyeing those Rovere Birds: would like to hear as well.

I bought 2
but Calgary has actually been having winter since the beginning of February

So I haven't thrown them yet

I'd guess someone else will be able to provide input before I can

I was working my way through the All Things Firebird thread and there were a couple of posts comparing the 2018 Koling Thunderbird to the Firebirds

putting them in at 9/4/0/4
(similar for the luster Thunderbirds as well)

does this sound right?

and if so how do the 2017 Koling Thunderbirds compare?

Some early posts on here (regarding the 2017 version) seemed to indicate that the they could flip up to flat from a small hyzer on 350 foot type shots

given the comments on the 2018 version comparing them as a Firebird lite (my word there) is there a significant difference between the 2 runs?

curious on the basis that prices on FB seem to suggest that 2017s cost twice as much as a 2018

I was working my way through the All Things Firebird thread and there were a couple of posts comparing the 2018 Koling Thunderbird to the Firebirds

putting them in at 9/4/0/4
(similar for the luster Thunderbirds as well)

does this sound right?

and if so how do the 2017 Koling Thunderbirds compare?

Some early posts on here (regarding the 2017 version) seemed to indicate that the they could flip up to flat from a small hyzer on 350 foot type shots

given the comments on the 2018 version comparing them as a Firebird lite (my word there) is there a significant difference between the 2 runs?

curious on the basis that prices on FB seem to suggest that 2017s cost twice as much as a 2018

The 2017 Koling thunderbirds are very flat for a thunderbird. I have not thrown the 2018 versions because the significant dome they have doesn't fit my hand as well. I've thrown three different discs of the 2017 Kolings, all of them similar in flight. Took them out of my bag because of an overlap with the 2017/2018 slightly seasoned sexton firebirds. I'd say the flight numbers are close to 9/4/0/3. I guess people that want to bag multiple thundies and prefer tge flatter profile would love these. Not what I was looking for though!

Oh btw, give OGS the job permanently!

The 2017 Koling thunderbirds are very flat for a thunderbird. I have not thrown the 2018 versions because the significant dome they have doesn't fit my hand as well. I've thrown three different discs of the 2017 Kolings, all of them similar in flight. Took them out of my bag because of an overlap with the 2017/2018 slightly seasoned sexton firebirds. I'd say the flight numbers are close to 9/4/0/3. I guess people that want to bag multiple thundies and prefer tge flatter profile would love these. Not what I was looking for though!

Oh btw, give OGS the job permanently!

He's putting on a good audition.

I read Jerm's Instagram post regarding these. He had the 2017 flattened for a better FH release. The 2018s have dome to increase the stability and add glide...for longer shots.

I haven't held a 2017 but I have a Pro Thunerbird and it is flat. The 2018 Kolings are domier but not what I would call massively domed. They are generally a bigger feel in the hand.

Similar to the Luster Thunderbird.

So the impression I have is if I want a flatter perhaps slightly less stable (but more so than a Pro) Thunderbird I should look at his 2017s. Or keep using the 2018s until they season into something better than the 2017.

And use the Luster for much beef.

There might be some overlap with a Sexton FB if seasoned.

Anybody pick up one of the '19 Jermbirds yet?

I assume people have

I ordered some that should be delivered today.

I've never thrown a 2017 version (although I do have one). I do throw the 2018s. They are damn high speed stable. For me the 2018 JK Thunderbird flies like a FB with some glide.

Great disc, probably better once seasoned.

I'm curious about these 2019s as to whether with (apparently) a smaller dome they fly a little less HSS than the 2018s.

Can't say I'm a
huge fan of the 2019 stamp

My 2019s arrived yesterday.

They are described as being between the 2017 and 2018 in terms of dome.
I disagree. I compared 4 2019s to 2 2018s and they were near identical in terms of PLH and dome.

Both runs are much domier than the 2017 run.

The only real difference that seemed apparent to me between the 3 runs was that the 2017 was the stiffest and the 2019 the flaxiest/gummiest
with the 2018 somewhat in between.

That is likely due to current star plastic runs being a bit on the softer side (I'm gathering that from watching some recent ITB vids)

I don't have any 17s

I bag 18s. And, as noted above, I have received my 19s.

I'm going to bag one (19) today and see how it compares to the 18. My guess is that there won't be much difference.

From a HSS and LSS perspective I didn't see much difference between the 18 and the 19.
This is likely reflective of the fact that they both appear to have a similar profile regarding dome (not flat/flatter like the 17s).

The 19s are gummier than the 18s. More flex/grip in the flight plate.

If anything (other than the gumminess/flexiness of the plastic) was different it did seem like the 19 may have had a bit more glide in it.

For both the 18 and 19 you could get on it hard and not have the disc turn over. They both flex back out of decent anhyzer lines.

Not sure I could really choose between the 2 for my purposes. I like the 18 stamp better. The grip on the 19 is likely better.

Looks like the 2020s are finally out. I am confused by Innova's description though as they said these are a throwback to the 2018s, but then they said they are flat. All of my 2018s are pretty domey so I am not sure what they are referring to. Either way I got suckered into getting a couple.

Looks like the 2020s are finally out. I am confused by Innova's description though as they said these are a throwback to the 2018s, but then they said they are flat. All of my 2018s are pretty domey so I am not sure what they are referring to. Either way I got suckered into getting a couple.

agreed - 2018/2019 had similar dome, 2017 were the flatties

I feel like I got some leftovers from last year. The rest of the swirly star were so bright and vibrant this year and mine are all the same muted, dull colors of the past. They seem to have the same shape and feel too. Haven't had a chance to throw them yet.