• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Started playing seriously 1y ago today

Ctmuir

Hi everyone, I'm looking for some advice on how to improve (aren't we all).
I've "played" a few times a year since high school (10+ years ago). Usually that meant going out with friends, taking a 14-speed driver and hucking it at the sky right off the tee, watching it hyzer out into the woods and then using my putter and ultimate frisbee experience to clean up a bogie, maybe a par if I got lucky.

When COVID lockdown hit I was living in Raleigh, NC, and I started playing a round or two every day latter work with a DX Aviar3. Then in July I moved to Wisconsin for a job, and kept playing, moving up to faster and faster discs slowly. I've made a few friends who are better than me, and their pointers have definitely helped me improve too.

Right now my distance is alright-on flat ground with no wind I can break 300 pretty consistently, with a few pushing 350, although my accuracy is a bit better below 300. My putting is improving, but seems very hot or cold. My forearm is weak and unpredictable.

This last year I've had a lot of time to play, so I get in 6/7 rounds a week, but I rarely practice putts (I know, I know) and fieldwork seems kind of... random? Idk-I guess I need some structure to it.

For folks who have made the push to really improve their game, what tips would you give to someone starting to "work smarter not harder"?

TIA, hope to see ya on the course some day!

A football field with a bunch of drivers helped me out. Instead of 18 drives you get 100 in 10-15 minutes.

Perfect Putt 360 also helped me tremendously when I started.

I don't think I'm really in that "push real hard to perfect your game" category, but here are some practical tips that I try to follow:

First of all, "on the course" practice is not bad practice. The important thing is to take each shot seriously, even if it's a practice shots. If the course flow is slow enough (not too many people, etc.), I think throwing multiple shots from the tee or multiple putts at each basket is a great way to get realistic practice. Practically, this means you need a little bit larger bag and maybe a few extra discs, maybe even backups for some of your regulars. Maybe even bring 3 or 4 putters so you can put your mini down and put 4 or 5 times from the same spot.

As far as drives, the form analysis thread on here is pretty good and there are lots of helpful folks. I advocate watching your own videos as well, as that can highlight things that you may not notice during the quick and fluid motion of a disc golf throw. The combination of analyzing your own throws and getting input from helpful folks on here seems to be a pretty good way to get over that 400' threshold. However, the on the course practice is still indispensable as far as developing consistency, hitting gaps, shot/disc selection, etc. I can routinely compete with people that throw way farther than me because of things like scramble skills and scrappiness.

The ultimate experience has got to be a big asset and was a big help to me too. I routinely forehand discs like the Buzzz, Polecat, and others than most disc golfers just don't seem to use in that way. Learn how to apply those skills to disc golf discs, both the standard ones that everyone throws (e.g. forehand Firebird) but even more for those more neutral discs. I would say my Buzzz forehand is by far my most useful single throw -- rarely off the tee, but it saves me lots or birdies or pars on wooded courses. If you were a hammer thrower, learn the classic tomahawk and thumber with overstable discs (great placement shots and for getting into weird greens or out of sticky situations...) but also learn that classic "pancake" hammer with a Buzzz or Polecat or even Comet.

Good luck.

With your level of dedication (6+ rounds a week) and your good progress already, I'd say hire a local pro to help point out obvious potential improvements on form, etc, and from there it's just about keep putting in the time to increase overall consistency. Good luck!

With your level of dedication (6+ rounds a week) and your good progress already, I'd say hire a local pro to help point out obvious potential improvements on form, etc, and from there it's just about keep putting in the time to increase overall consistency. Good luck!

That's a good thought, thanks!

For a while I could easily identify where my game was lacking when I played with some friends who are better and I've adjusted to become better based on that. Now it's at a point where I'm unclear exactly what technique issues I need to correct (apart from the forehand shot, which I've begun practicing/using more). Maybe I'll shoot some clips this weekend and put them in the form critique section to see if folks are willing to break it down for me.