• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Starting a lawnmower vs late power

When I was doing clinical work in neurological samples, we would frequently use a simple hand dynamometer to assess peak grip strength against normative data. You grab the thing and just squeeze as hard as you can. Attached is a table of grip strength means & standard deviations by age and gender.

It's not precisely the same since the grip is different b/w a dynamometer and a disc, but the dynamometer measure is of the transient maximum grip force put on the device. Most people can muster a few more lbs for a brief moment than they can sustain for a few seconds, just like transiently increasing grip tension as a disc enters the hit.

Assuming the peak weight for a high 60's mph ejection is somewhere around 59lbs like in this guy's analysis, you can look across the table and see where grip strength might be a limiting factor in pro-level form/acceleration. For many non-pros' form, grip strength might be less likely to be a limiter. Of course, you might also imagine that the force varies by ejection speed & form/body type (etc.) that influences acceleration curves, which would be interesting.

Of course, I only have this one guy's analysis, these are averages and variances in a randomly sampled population, and grip strength is trainable!

If the disc didn't have a rim, holding on would be a function of grip pressure times coefficient of friction.
But with a rim you can hook fingers under, it's more like lifting a heavy suitcase.

Maybe.

I find it very hard to believe grip strength would be the limiting factor for anyone.

Nah, it's really good. Almost no one is strong enough to use just one's arm. There has to be upper body rotation.

Right, but the timing is completely wrong. Remember all your shoulder problems?

Right, but the timing is completely wrong. Remember all your shoulder problems?

Nah, it's really not. Yes, I remember my should issues, but those had zero to do with this(long head of biceps from the sudden loss of acceleration). Besides, literally no one understands your suggestions for throwing other than the cool visual of a trebuchet.

I was at one of Stokely's clinics. His opinion was any time the disc comes out "fluffy," it's because you pulled before you were all the way onto your brace leg.
I can't argue. Whenever I do whatever feels like

step
wait 6 seconds
swing

the results aren't terrible, but

stepswingHARD!!

not so much.

I was at one of Stokely's clinics. His opinion was any time the disc comes out "fluffy," it's because you pulled before you were all the way onto your brace leg.

Yeah i don't know, I don't feel like it's a pull, more like a whip controlled by the left arm. Timing is huge though, just like a "regular" whip. It's that free floating moment and then the lower arm whipping in and out of the pocket. Just like how when you snap a towel, you need to sort of toss it in the air and then whip it at just the right time. I know he's trying to simplify things and get people away from trying to toss it like a frisbee. But if you're a thinker, actually pulling it won't get you snap. I guess he's implying though that there's a specific timing involved.

Just me ranting after having spent many hours in the past trying to plant, brace and pull. You've already missed the train if you're thinking "getting onto the plant" and then doing something with the arm, imo. Also don't try to place the disc in any specific spot like the pull method teaches. Just let it follow along with the arm movement.