• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

State with the most active Disc Golfers?

Coleman25 said:
Ive lived in North Dakota (Grand Forks) and it was dead.

Las Vegas Not too active (97-02)

Portland, OR (Didn't pick up a single disc when I lived there)

Ft Collins, CO We have a decent league, but there are ALOT of casual players here.

Where do you think has the most active scene?

I am in foco also. Denver has one very active club, and another fairly active club. I think we have a great scene in this state.

Bobby12many said:
Well, as they say.... a picture is worth a thousand words.

Here is the "tour map" for the Play 'em All tour :)

http://www.playemalltour.com/tourmap.jpg

Looks like the Midwest is pretty well ahead in terms of # of courses. Id assume that reflects a much greater general interest in those areas.
I've never seen a map of the whole USA with disc courses marked. It is impressive how many there are. Especially considering that the map doesn't even show every course.

Bobby12many said:
http://www.playemalltour.com/tourmap.jpg

Looks like the Midwest is pretty well ahead in terms of # of courses. Id assume that reflects a much greater general interest in those areas.
Keep in mind that the population density is lower in some of those places so how "active" the scene is depends on how you define active. If it's per-capita, then the midwest is probably way up there. If it's sheer number of disc golfers then it's harder to compete with places with higher population densities.

It also helps that the people tend to be fairly "outdoorsy," the land is suited for disc golf course installation and we have plenty of room because of the lower population density so installing courses isn't horribly difficult.

Thatdirtykid said:
I am in foco also. Denver has one very active club, and another fairly active club. I think we have a great scene in this state.

The Mile High Disc Golf Club in Denver has about 350 people who have paid $20 to get into the tag league this year, has 6 tags nights and a doubles event every week, and it seems like there is a tournament somewhere in the state every single weekend.

I am not trying to take anything away from the CA, MN, WI, NC, TX disc golf scene, but it is very active in CO. We just all suck so we never win nationally.

Thatdirtykid said:
Coleman25 said:
Ive lived in North Dakota (Grand Forks) and it was dead.

Las Vegas Not too active (97-02)

Ft Collins, CO We have a decent league, but there are ALOT of casual players here.

Where do you think has the most active scene?

Were you at leagues on Tuesday wearing a Pig Pen shirt? I kinda put 2 and 2 together and figured that might be you.

wasnt there tuesday, but was at monthlys, and yeah I believe i was wearing that shirt.

Johnnytothec said:
Thatdirtykid said:

The Mile High Disc Golf Club in Denver has about 350 people who have paid $20 to get into the tag league this year, has 6 tags nights and a doubles event every week, and it seems like there is a tournament somewhere in the state every single weekend.

I am not trying to take anything away from the CA, MN, WI, NC, TX disc golf scene, but it is very active in CO. We just all suck so we never win nationally.

Mitch wins Nationally, Kathy Hardyman is a Multiple World Champion, Kristara Lee is a World Champion, Jeff Layland wins Nationally, Jay Burghart is a World Champion, Mike Randolph wins plenty Nationally and would win a world's if he'd play in more tournaments. etc.... We don't suck, we just forget that shit isnt' overstable when we go down in altitude.
:lol:

Fritz said:
Johnnytothec said:
Thatdirtykid said:

Mitch wins Nationally, Kathy Hardyman is a Multiple World Champion, Kristara Lee is a World Champion, Jeff Layland wins Nationally, Jay Burghart is a World Champion, Mike Randolph wins plenty Nationally and would win a world's if he'd play in more tournaments. etc.... We don't suck, we just forget that shit isnt' overstable when we go down in altitude.

I can give you 6 worlds champs within Houston. 8)

scoot_er said:
Fritz said:
Johnnytothec said:
Thatdirtykid said:

I can give you 6 worlds champs within Houston. 8)

I'm sure you can, and I'm sure we can list more from Colorado as well, but my point was that he just needs to learn the scene :) and stuff isn't overstable anywhere like it is here.

I forgot we have Scott Stokley too. Can't believe I forgot to put him in that list.

scoot_er said:
also you guys have those smelly courses they use at High Plains. :lol:

Have you played High Plains yet?

scoot_er said:
Fritz said:
scoot_er said:
also you guys have those smelly courses they use at High Plains. :lol:

Have you played High Plains yet?

Yeah and I won't be back. :twisted: I do want to play Aspen though.

When did you play High Plains? Yeah, wish I could do Snow Massive next week. That looks like a sick tournament.

JohnnytotheC said:

Fritz said:
Mitch wins Nationally, Kathy Hardyman is a Multiple World Champion, Kristara Lee is a World Champion, Jeff Layland wins Nationally, Jay Burghart is a World Champion, Mike Randolph wins plenty Nationally and would win a world's if he'd play in more tournaments. etc.... We don't suck, we just forget that shit isnt' overstable when we go down in altitude.I'm sure we can list more from Colorado as well, but my point was that he just needs to learn the scene

Calm down buddy.

I will make a note not to use hyperbolie around you. We know CO has some good players and that Randolf has world class game, but look at the PDGA player ratings or money list and tell me how strong CO is represented.

Perhaps it is you who needs to a learn a little someting about scene:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=scene+vs+emo

Johnnytothec said:
Perhaps it is you who needs to a learn a little someting about scene:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=scene+vs+emo

:roll:

Not sure who has the most active players, but texas does have the most courses. Although california and wisconsin are close behind. I think it could be a lot more organized, but major cities are so damn far apart.

Donkeypuncher said:
Not sure who has the most active players, but texas does have the most courses. Although california and wisconsin are close behind. I think it could be a lot more organized, but major cities are so damn far apart.
According to the PDGA site, Iowa has more courses than CA or WI, but not as many as TX.

Eric O said:
Coleman25 said:
What period of time were you living in Portland? The DG scene has been growing fast here the last couple years. During summertime you can find a weekly almost every night of the week, and on weekends there is often a choice to be made as to which event to attend. There are also weeklies and events held year round.

I doubt Oregon is anywhere near the top in terms of numbers but the Portland area is becoming a better and better place to DG every year.

I would think that Portland specifically, and Oregon in general, would be pretty high up on this list... I can think of 10 courses within a half hour of my house that get a LOT of use