• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Striker Vs. PD

talking 400 foot range are the PD's longer? what makes them better and trust me i hear it a ton but i'm not sure what makes the PD better? i know you have better plastic choices with the PD and a little extra distance(this can't be more than 5% right). i find the strikers all over the place but i have a ton of them and i throw them until i find out what they do? and if you throw the PD the boss is very close too right? anyhow i don't want to try the PD's i just want to understand the reason to switch from strikers. if the evidence is there i might try one.

PDs are much less HSS than Bosses in S and P. Even the C ain't as hard fading. PDs vary too. S are probably the most usable in different variations across the whole life span of the disc. I throw the PDs just a little farther than my Striker. Only a few feet of difference. PDs handle winds better than Strikers and need less hyzer flip being more HSS.

JR said:
PDs are much less HSS than Bosses in S and P. Even the C ain't as hard fading. PDs vary too.

I'm guessing this is a typo and that you meant to say much less LSS. My S-PDs are about the HSS as a Boss when new with the Boss being monstrously more LSS. The PD and Boss don't overlap any more than a new Roc and a Firebird....They may have similar flightpaths in general, but the speed difference is dramatic.

okay kinda helpful so they could replace the bosses and the strikers. i would gain control but lose a little distance with the PD over the boss but i have good distance already and really need control more than anything.

Oops crossed wires or something. PD is slighly less HSS but awesome nonetheless in that department. It could replace Strikers and Bosses in S-Line.

RS39 said:
optowesome said:
I like my strikers, but the wind can make them squirrelly.

Try a 1st Run S PD for winds, bit more stable than the others, but all do a nice job of falling fwd when they fade.

When you really whack a Pro disc (ie- tree under 100ft away), it is just not coming back all the way to the original shape, maybe half way after you re-work it.

I've recently found that FR S-PDs are more stable and better in the wind than later S-PDs and new P-PDs. I use my S-PD for headwind shots for controlled distance. Didn't throw the Striker much, but knowing they're close to each other and watching my friend throw them (he throws PDs now), there is no reason for me to spend more money on "trying out" another disc.

Sean40474 said:
I've recently found that FR S-PDs are more stable and better in the wind than later S-PDs and new P-PDs. I use my S-PD for headwind shots for controlled distance. Didn't throw the Striker much, but knowing they're close to each other and watching my friend throw them (he throws PDs now), there is no reason for me to spend more money on "trying out" another disc.

I've found S-PDs in each run that are as stable as FRs...They just ran fewer FRs, so they are much more consistent.

Oh yeah, the guys at Powergrip and Discmania told me that the most recent run came out closer to the First Run than they've managed lately, so they should be more stable.

Sean40474 said:
I've not had that same experience with the new runs. The ones I've received have been between the FRs and Ps in stability.

I've got newer whites and oranges (close to max weight) that are good and overstable. My newest one (neon red/orange) is the flippiest SPD I've ever thrown out of the box though...I still like it though. I've really never thrown a PD I didn't like because I love them at all stages of stability.

Watch out for Strikers, there are enormous run variations. At 350 ft power, my Opto Striker was more over-stable than a Champion Banshee. The PLH was higher than just about any other disc I owned, and its inner rim was so sloped that it was harder to grip than a QK. It hyzered so hard that a buddy of mine who was just learning to throw gave it huge forehand rips with tons of OAT that flexed for ~400 ft distance and just barely hyzered out (a newbie record, in my experience). My brother lost it on a throw at Milo McIver, after it hyzered hard into thick shule. Great glide on big flex shots, but a meat hook for under-power throws.

My P-PD started out similar to a Valkyrie, and then beat in to a great under-stable turning tunnel driver and roller. I could soon put that on laser beams after not too long. My S-PD started out as stable as a newish Teebird, and still beating in to a nice versatile disc. I love how far the PD goes with little effort.

JHern said:
My P-PD started out similar to a Valkyrie, and then beat in to a great under-stable turning tunnel driver and roller. I could soon put that on laser beams after not too long. My S-PD started out as stable as a newish Teebird, and still beating in to a nice versatile disc. I love how far the PD goes with little effort.

This has been my experience BUT with my silver Gold Line Striker. It's probably my favorite go to driver in my bag right now. Unless there's wind of course...

discspeed said:
Sean40474 said:
I've not had that same experience with the new runs. The ones I've received have been between the FRs and Ps in stability.

I've got newer whites and oranges (close to max weight) that are good and overstable. My newest one (neon red/orange) is the flippiest SPD I've ever thrown out of the box though...I still like it though. I've really never thrown a PD I didn't like because I love them at all stages of stability.

Mine were all between 171 and 175 and were yellow just like my FR. I agree with you on the different stages of stability....but when I buy a stack of them new I'd like them to be close to what I bought before. I know I'm not the only one that feels this way and I know I'm stating the obvious.

I'm not lucky like you guys are to be able to roll into a pure disc golf store and feel out all the plastic. :cry:

The closest thing I have is PIAS and they don't separate ANY of their discs by weight or brand (I assume this is most places in the country?). On top of that, they just stuff them where they fit, so a lot of times you get a disc that is warped. Some of them will stay that way and some will return to their normal shape.

jubuttib said:
Oh yeah, the guys at Powergrip and Discmania told me that the most recent run came out closer to the First Run than they've managed lately, so they should be more stable.

This makes me happy as I'm really starting to love how my yellow FR is beating in and becoming more workable with lesser power.