• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Stuck in a bush what's the rule?

Docxen

Par Member
I figure if a disc is stuck in a tree and you knock it out you play from where it lands...but what about a low bush. Had that happened today. Where would i play it from behind the bush? and is it considered an out of bounds if i have to move it?

I figure if a disc is stuck in a tree and you knock it out you play from where it lands...but what about a low bush. Had that happened today. Where would i play it from behind the bush? and is it considered an out of bounds if i have to move it?

Relevant rule is 805.01 Establishing a Position.

If the disc is suspended above the ground, whether in a tree or a low bush, you mark on the ground directly below the disc and play from there. Not where it ends up after you knock it down.

In a low bush, you mark the lie underneath the disc and you do your best to take a stance on that lie that does the least to disrupt or damage the bush. In other words, don't break branches and don't hold them out of your way, but take a stance that puts a supporting point (foot, knee, hand, etc) on the lie.

If you don't want to play from in/under the bush, you can relocate the lie with a penalty. It is not "out of bounds" however. It is either optional relief (line of play relief with penalty) or abandoned throw (re-throw from previous lie with penalty).

The lie extends directly below the disc and you just play it like that. Unless the two meter rule is in effect and its in violation.
You can also get casual relief and play the lie directly behind the bush if you can't get in a proper stance for some reason.
-certified Pdga rules official

First option is to mark your disc with an appropriate mini, directly beneath the spot it is suspended in the tree or bush, then play that lie with the least disturbance to the bush/tree. Someone will likely find and hyperlink the rule, but a great resource for such questions (outside of the sage DGCR collective) is the PDGA Rule Book. Learning to use it and puttint it to practical use, provides for a strong foundation of the serious disc golfer.

https://www.pdga.com/rules/official-rules-disc-golf

The lie extends directly below the disc and you just play it like that. Unless the two meter rule is in effect and its in violation.
You can also get casual relief and play the lie directly behind the bush if you can't get in a proper stance for some reason.
-certified Pdga rules official

Incorrect (to the bolded). You don't get casual relief from a bush unless it contains a dangerous animal or insect. Or the TD has declared the bush to be a casual relief area in advance of the round. Absent one of those, it is an obstacle like any other and one gets no free relief from it. Play it as it lies.

If its in a tree you play the lie directly underneath it. With a penalty if the 2 meter rule is in effect. Wait until after your throw to get it out. Knocking it out of the tree is a penalty.

Incorrect (to the bolded). You don't get casual relief from a bush unless it contains a dangerous animal or insect. Or the TD has declared the bush to be a casual relief area in advance of the round. Absent one of those, it is an obstacle like any other and one gets no free relief from it. Play it as it lies.
I was probably incorrect with my verbiage. But if you can't take a stance from the lie, the lie then extends to a certain distance behind without penalty. I believe.

Relevant rule is 805.01 Establishing a Position.

If the disc is suspended above the ground, whether in a tree or a low bush, you mark on the ground directly below the disc and play from there. Not where it ends up after you knock it down.

In a low bush, you mark the lie underneath the disc and you do your best to take a stance on that lie that does the least to disrupt or damage the bush. In other words, don't break branches and don't hold them out of your way, but take a stance that puts a supporting point (foot, knee, hand, etc) on the lie.

If you don't want to play from in/under the bush, you can relocate the lie with a penalty. It is not "out of bounds" however. It is either optional relief (line of play relief with penalty) or abandoned throw (re-throw from previous lie with penalty).
ok thanks wow i need to get a rule book

If its in a tree you play the lie directly underneath it. With a penalty if the 2 meter rule is in effect. Wait until after your throw to get it out. Knocking it out of the tree is a penalty.

Again, incorrect to the bolded. There is no rule or associated penalty as to the timing of when you retrieve a disc from a tree. It's a good idea to mark the lie first so it is done accurately, but once it's marked, you can pull it from the tree or knock it out if it is something that can be done swiftly and without disturbing any other players.

Can you show in the rules where this is stated? It's new to me but I admit I haven't kept up with all the rule changes the past few years.

edit: nvm. too slow

You can also get casual relief and play the lie directly behind the bush if you can't get in a proper stance for some reason...
"Some reason" does NOT include not having your preferred stance or not wanting to take a stance, ie: "ouch these briars hurt, I don't wanna go in there."

The simplest way to think about it is if you don't want to play from your disc, you shouldn't have thrown it there.

I was probably incorrect with my verbiage. But if you can't take a stance from the lie, the lie then extends to a certain distance behind without penalty. I believe.

If the lie below the suspended disc ends up being in a solid obstacle, like the trunk of the bush/tree, then you play from directly behind the trunk. Any relief beyond that comes with a penalty.

If the lie below the suspended disc ends up being in a solid obstacle, like the trunk of the bush/tree, then you play from directly behind the trunk. Any relief beyond that comes with a penalty.

I would consider any instance where it is physically impossible to make legal contact with the lie to logically follow the solid object rule.

I would consider any instance where it is physically impossible to make legal contact with the lie to logically follow the solid object rule.

Agreed. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's the entire purpose of the rule.

The key takeaway of the rule is that the lie in such a case is directly behind the obstacle, not some "certain distance" away.

"Some reason" does NOT include not having your preferred stance or not wanting to take a stance, ie: "ouch these briars hurt, I don't wanna go in there."

The simplest way to think about it is if you don't want to play from your disc, you shouldn't have thrown it there.
wow ...well maybe after 22 years i won't but after 2 months i still do a lot

Agreed. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's the entire purpose of the rule.

The key takeaway of the rule is that the lie in such a case is directly behind the obstacle, not some "certain distance" away.

And in the case of not so solid solid obstacles, the lie becomes the closest point on the line of play where legal contact can be made. That's probably still up in that bush or briars or whatever, lol

Again, incorrect to the bolded. There is no rule or associated penalty as to the timing of when you retrieve a disc from a tree. It's a good idea to mark the lie first so it is done accurately, but once it's marked, you can pull it from the tree or knock it out if it is something that can be done swiftly and without disturbing any other players.

The guy said he was gonna knock it out of the tree and call that the lie. That's what I was saying not to do.

The guy said he was gonna knock it out of the tree and call that the lie. That's what I was saying not to do.

Right. But it isn't the act of knocking the disc out that would draw a penalty, which was the implication in your post (whether that was your intent or not, that's how it read). Any penalty associated with what the OP described would come from playing from where that disc ended up after it was knocked out.