• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Suddenly nose up

Ok, so I just realized what you said about counterclockwise. Need to process that.

When I do this with a reasonable amount of force with no disc, its like a one-hand clap.

If you practice this with a disc in your hand and you do it at all, the disc is probably going to leave your hand. I lost a disc just going through motions out back lol.

When I do this with a reasonable amount of force with no disc, its like a one-hand clap.

If you practice this with a disc in your hand and you do it at all, the disc is probably going to leave your hand. I lost a disc just going through motions out back lol.

I honestly don't even know how to practice this without wobbling disks out 20'. In the vid he says without the rest of the form, that key turn won't help. Does it follow that I can't practice just the DFP grip alone?

I honestly don't even know how to practice this without wobbling disks out 20'. In the vid he says without the rest of the form, that key turn won't help. Does it follow that I can't practice just the DFP grip alone?

I believe there are several ways people have described this. HUB has a video about hooking a slightly filled water bottle with a loop handle, and hooking a finger through it and accelerating it at the right moment to carry the weight of the water from the back, forward. The concept is solid, but this drill sketches me out so I never did it. I can imagine some serious injury potential.

A medium dish towel does work as a tool for me after reading Blake's description of how it should snap straight forward. If the towel is hooking around and hitting the back of your hand without a distinct snap, you aren't doing it.

More related to stopping the elbow, but I have also read about trying to throw a pen or pencil. The natural thing you will do to throw this sized object seems to touch on this action also.

Is it kind of the same concept that all the other hinges should be doing too? E.g. thumb resisting counterclockwise is kind of like elbow resisting forward motion to release lower arm?

I'm not seeing anywhere in the video where he talks about counterclockwise.

Last edited:
In my thinking, you would have to let the counterclockwise happen (the lag of the wrist/disc), then you are kind of helping the outward (clockwise) ejection. And what Rhatton is saying is that most people just let that outward ejection kind of happen, but the big throwers are adding to the ejection at just the right time by pushing with the thumb.