• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Suggested Disc for Narrow approach shots

hendersondayton

Eagle Member
The biggest issue with my game is my ability to get up and down from 100' when I need to throw a straight shot that lands in my confidence zone (about 20'). I need a disc that can hang on straight for that 70-80'.

At most courses around me....approach shots are surrounded in woods and I have about a 8' to 12' lane about 100' long to make an approach.

I have thrown a couple different discs...mainly a Yeti Aviar but it doesn't glide well...I really have to crank it to get it close from 100' and that typically means i turn it over or hyzer it on accident...

I am really trying to find something I can throw lightly to aid in accuracy but that could really glide 70-80 feet.

I am also not ruling out the mechanics issue...I am going to try go get a good video of my upshot motion to help with this discussion. I have tried to "jump-putt" or "walk-putt" from 100' and that doesn't typically end well.

On the chance that my mechanics are good for 100' upshots, what can i throw that doesn't require much effort (and therefore less of a chance of overpowering a throw off-line) but that can make it 70-80 feet straight...MVP plastic has been suggested..

Beadless Aviar. Just pop it out with a little nose up a d watch it glide all the way to the basket. This is a shot I recently had issues with as well until I learned this little nose up toss. It almost feels like an Ultimate throw. It has shaved numerous stroke off my game.

IMO you should be able to get any putter out straight from that distance. Maybe try a standing shot and just focus on getting a good snap?

Polecat/Rattler/Sonic*

* Sonic will tend to go right.

Very true. Rattler or Sonic would be a good suggestion as well.

this is what i was going to say.. dunno if you have messed with any of these lid types but i love them.. have several aces and long birdies with the rattler.. been using the sonic instead the last month or two and yeah love it too.. they can be touchy if you are off but if everything is solid they are uber $$ from say 120 ft and in.. plus i cant count how many weird looks i get for throwing a sonic but they tend to stop after it drains a 80ft putt lol.. plus if you do miss they stick well leaving you a nice lil putt

Last edited:
If you want something glidey and straight at that distance, the lid-style discs would work. I would think a Magnet, Clutch, or Zeppelin would work in that spot as well.

Gateway Magic or MVP Anode are perfect for this. Both hold a straight line with very little effort/snap. Vibram Summit is a perfect choice too, and would pick up less nicks/cuts from the trees if you do miss. Hell, just get all three and piss off your wife like I do with mine. :D

I'm an oddball but I like to FH shorter approaches. I'm just not that accurate on short BH approaches, short FH is a better shot for me. From this distance I would FH an Evo Magic or Spike, depending on what was in the bag that day, & it should be lazer straight with hardly any fade

I do stand still...I found myself pulling a lot of up shots trying to get the snap on it...so I started to close my stance and i line up everything, feet, knees, waste, and shoulders left of the target...then i reach back with a weight transfer from front to back, and then pull thru back to front...this may be the reason for overpowering the disc often on upshots...I have started just rotating at the waste and throwing a nice, all arm snap shot...

I have also tried my magnet, both hard and soft...both a really well worn by now and my hard magnet really turns right easily.

Never considered a FH as I typically don't have enough room to aim left and let a disc fall right...unless we are talking about "S" curve on an approach...

I will see if I can find a few of the discs suggested.

IMO you should be able to get any putter out straight from that distance. Maybe try a standing shot and just focus on getting a good snap?

This. Pretty much any putter outside the zone or vp is ideal for this shot, fh or bh.

At that distance flicking something doesn't need to have room to fade. If you give a putter some spin, keep it low and flick it flat, it will just glide dead straight until it hits the ground. Same for bh.

At that range, a putter is the way to go. Find a neutral putter that feels good for you in a fan grip, probably something shallow rimmed. A grippy plastic, like a baseline variety. I personally would reach for one of my Anodes for a 100' straight low ceiling shot. A Magic would probably fit the bill, and I've seen others using the VooDoo. In Innova speak, a Dart or Aero might be what you need judging by flight chart. Sounds like you need to go out and fondle some plastic. :)

Beadless Aviar. Just pop it out with a little nose up a d watch it glide all the way to the basket. This is a shot I recently had issues with as well until I learned this little nose up toss. It almost feels like an Ultimate throw. It has shaved numerous stroke off my game.

The idea of "nose-up" on purpose is foreign to me...something that takes practice as "nose-up" does not mean the same thing as throwing it up in the air...correct me if I am wrong but, you are talking about throwing the same type of shot...on a flat plane...but "tilting" the disc up in your hand as you release? I would imagine a good "feel" for this should would be to move my thumb in towards the middle of the disc more and press down a little?

The idea of "nose-up" on purpose is foreign to me...something that takes practice as "nose-up" does not mean the same thing as throwing it up in the air...correct me if I am wrong but, you are talking about throwing the same type of shot...on a flat plane...but "tilting" the disc up in your hand as you release? I would imagine a good "feel" for this should would be to move my thumb in towards the middle of the disc more and press down a little?

yes ... it's almost like an air-bounce with a catch or ultimate frisbee. the trick is to push down with your thumb into the flight plate at release.

Why do you have to throw a putter? Move to a beat roc or something flippy you don't have to throw as hard to make up that distance.

I didn't realize you had to throw hard to reach 100' of D :p

I find putters overshoot less but find what works for you.

Latest posts