• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Suggested Disc for Narrow approach shots

What about disc weight for shot like this?

I like lighter discs for this shot as they seem to float more, unless its into the wind, then it heavy. for ref - stiff grid stamp aviars is what I throw, and i carry 2 - one 165 and one 175.

DSCN4568.jpg

Name says it all!

Last edited:
Neutral-ish discs are what i like for this shot. The only downside is theyre a bit more touchy in the wind and less tolerant of torque.

Id say rattler is what i would prefer to throw here mostly but i only carry it about half the time. Opto pure is likely what id reach for if i did t have my rattler.

Summit, magic, birdie, beadless aviar, magnet, clutch, omega ss should all work out of the box. But honestly if your FH is good and relatively torque free any putter thats not truly OS should do this shot easily. Weight shouldnt matter a whole lot at 100' either imo.

i guess all my years of ultimate play makes me not think twice about these shots...
I usually just toss my seasoned wizard with a little nose up(like stated eariler) and try to be "wristy" with it. IDK, really how to explain it, but its not a normal pull through shot.

Anode or Axis
The Axis has more distance potential than you are asking for, but for me it is very controllable and consistent from that distance.
I get a cleaner release with it more dependably than I do a putter, it's less affected by wind, and I can power it down very easily and still get it to finish straight.

If you want to stay straight I would tell you to go with a Mako... I am not very good, so if I can keep the Mako straight then I pretty sure anyone can.

I swear by my Ibex for this type of shot. The Vibram rubber blend has less skip and takes hits off of trees without any damage or change in its flight characteristics. I've been using it for almost a year and it looks and flies the same as it did when I first got it - and it gets a lot of use.

In fact, I use it for many of my approaches at the HAH course - lots of tight shots there.

If you aren't throwing those from a standstill, do so from now on. Also, the molds people are yelling out do not matter - use whatever fairly slow neutral to understable disc you feel comfortable with; whether it's a mid or a putter depends upon you.

EDIT: (Greg I can probably grab those discs from you tonight)

I am throwing these at a standstill. I just tend to try to "muscle" the disc from 100' rather then just snapping it. I guess that is the danger with trying to keep a disc in an 8' wide space for 100'...i try to "help" it stay straight rather than just trusting my line and snapping it....

I don't throw long, even with snap...so, i have a hard time snapping a putter 100' with any accuracy. This is why i was trying to find something i could throw with good form, with little effort...and let it glide.

I use my Classic Roc for this very shot. Low canopy or on my knees I go for my Buzzz SS. Like you, I don't like to "power" this shot. Both of these discs have little to NO hyzering out.

Well, as expected, you've been suggested about 20 different molds. Pretty much anything that's been mentioned in the thread will work.

My personal choice for this dead straight short approach is the Pro D Zeppelin.

Latest posts