• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Suggested Disc for Narrow approach shots

This type of shot is exactly what I use my M Vibram Ibex for. I'm not sure if anyone has recommended it yet, but what you are describing as your want is what I have found my Ibex to work marvelously at.

If you want to stay straight I would tell you to go with a Mako... I am not very good, so if I can keep the Mako straight then I pretty sure anyone can.

This sounds pretty close to what you're wanting. It's a midrange, but works really well at this distance still. It doesn't take much effort to get that far, has good glide, and has less fade than pretty much all the other discs aforementioned. Meaning it'll land flat just about every time. I'd suggest star plastic, 165-170 g.

I tend to just use my putter (Magic) till the distance gets a little out of my comfort range for my normal putter grip (which is right around 100'), then switch to fan gripped Buzzz SS. Your switch distance may vary.

This

IMO you should be able to get any putter out straight from that distance. Maybe try a standing shot and just focus on getting a good snap?

Truth. Any putter should work at those distances. So you probably need to work on technique.

My approach disc is a 175g R-Pro Rhyno; little glide, flexible. As long as I don't try to anny it too much, it doesn't roll away. Power it straight in at the target. Trusted it for many months now.

I am throwing these at a standstill. I just tend to try to "muscle" the disc from 100' rather then just snapping it. I guess that is the danger with trying to keep a disc in an 8' wide space for 100'...i try to "help" it stay straight rather than just trusting my line and snapping it....

I don't throw long, even with snap...so, i have a hard time snapping a putter 100' with any accuracy. This is why i was trying to find something i could throw with good form, with little effort...and let it glide.

Soft Ibex.

Good thread. I've noticed myself powering down a mid from this kind of distance. But to throw my two cents in, if you'r enot going to use a putter for this ****, I would use the Innova Star Mako. As long as you get a good one (here comes the Innova inconsistency hate) you should find that it has no turn and no fade, as long as you have a clean release.

But I think so many other people that have posted in this thread are right: use a putter. I use an XG Rhyno that hits and sticks real well, and can take some power. Or, as I mentioned, I have a tendency to power down a mid.

Power a comet way down and just give it a bit of snap. It should fly straight and fade back left at like 20-30% power.

For really tight lines that's what I do. If I have a bit more space (15' fairway) I'll snap a wizard at the basket. For me it's easier to keep it tight powering down a comet then shooting a putter at it from 100'.

I throw my yeti with a fan grip from 200' and in.
If you don't have a decent fan grip I'd suggest you learn one, its by far the easiest way to throw a dead straight approach shot. The yeti works great with its shallow feel and nice grip.

I throw my yeti with a fan grip from 200' and in.
If you don't have a decent fan grip I'd suggest you learn one, its by far the easiest way to throw a dead straight approach shot. The yeti works great with its shallow feel and nice grip.

Feel free to "learn me"..any good pics of fan grips?

I use my gummy champ Rhyno (167g) for most of my approach shots. Very easy to control, never turns over, doesn't do anything crazy after it lands, excellent in the wind.

I'd just use an axis with a slight snap to get it straight. The only problem is the very real possibility of overshooting it.

KC Pro Aviar is what I use. But, I agree with all the disc recommendations above and with the folks who say it really doesn't matter at that distance. Use what you like. Use it a lot.

Practice is ultimately more rewarding than trying to find the perfect disc (key word: "ultimately".)

Get out of the trees, get a few discs (putters for me), and throw 100' shots at an open basket. Don't worry about mechanics, just throw. Try throwing all of them straight, then hyser, then anhyser. Getting up and down is the goal. After some time with this, go back in the woods and do the same thing down those tunnels.

With a bit of practice (less than you think, I'd bet), these shots will be automatic, and you'll have a favorite disc (or three) to use depending on the situation.

I used to use a lighter XD for this shot, its a nice straight line floater.

Last 4 months it been a light Ridge. It took me a while to have the confidence to throw it hard on a zip line route, but the damn thing crushes from that distance. I have chained out more from that range than with any other disc in the last 20 years. Plus the added bonus of when it misses it still camps close.

Latest posts