• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Suggested Distance Driver to Combat Wind

mattlinardo

First let me preface by saying that the Westside Discs Sorcerer is my first true Distance Driver that I can throw with accuracy and have it fly it's designed line. I have a Wraith and Destroyer, but have not really bonded with either. This brings me to my question. I am looking for something that has a similar feel in the hand, but would be more resistant to turning over it a headwind. Would this be a King or Sword, or some other mold?

Sorry forgot to include that...around 300 to 350 on an S line...275 to 300 on a hyzer. The problem is with stiff head winds, it tends to turn too far to right when thrown flat or even with hyzer angle on release.

Ah, the OS distance driver, the bane of my DG existence. :eek:

Seriously, the Sheriff, the Cutlass, the Catapult come to mind if you want to stay Trilogy. Otherwise, check out the Marshall Street Flight Guide for other discs that might work for you as a more OS driver.

At those distances a distance driver isn't doing anything you shouldn't be able to do with a slower disc.

What are you throwing for fairways? Something like a PD/ Thunderbird would probably be enough disc. So would a TB/ Eagle.

My Thunderbirds are the best choice for me in headwinds. A breeze, sure, but full on wind, I've had them turn over. Eagle should be enough, Firebird, Felon, Longbowman come to mind. Also an Orc. But you're also throwing a high speed driver (13 speed?) at distances that you could probably reach with slower discs. I would try discing down. At 300, even 350', Im thinking your S curve is a result of you forcing it over on a flex shot. Not at all taking stabs at you, just envisioning the same issues I had a few years ago.

You're distance is close to mine and I had the same problem. What I noticed was that going up in speed doesn't really do the trick, it works better throwing a overstable disk at a speed you can handle.

For pure distance (350') I throw a Bolt, very understable and in slightest headwind will flip even after a hyzerflip. Keep in mind that form (imperfect release etc) makes the disks fly even more understable.

I would recommend you do as me and stay below or at speed 10 for anything other than wide open wind free distance. Now I try out bagging 3 Flow in different stabilities, one beat in for distance, one new for slight headwind or big fade and one old domey that is very overstable for headwinds.

Try out a really overstable control driver for headwinds, so stable you can't throw it far without early fade on a wind free throw.

Good luck!

Since you would be willing to throw either your Destroyer or Wraith I would recommend a C-PD, S-PD, ORC, or something similar that is 9 or 10 speed. I use a Destroyer or FireBird for headwinds but I throw 340 on a flat release with my Star Eagle-X. I know that this goes against what I just said but work with both the Wraith and Destroyer on flat releases into headwinds and you will see what the true potential of those discs are. I'm curious as to what plastics you are throwing and what else that you have for OS discs.

I understand the thought of discing down. I was just curious if there was something with a similar flight (slight turn and forward finishing fade) when thrown flat, that was not as sensitive to head winds. For info purpose I have 2 Vip Sorcerers that are 169 to 172 (I don't have them right in front of me).

Currently more overstable in the same speed class I have a G* Destroyer, Star Wraith, and Champion Krait (I feel these might be the right match, they just need some wear to lose some OS).

Have you guys actually been reading the OP? He's looking for distance driver similar in feel to the Sorcerer. While I would normally be a supporter of discing down, I wouldn't offer that advice to somebody looking for controlled distance into a headwind...

Edit: Matt, I like the idea of using your wraith/destroyer if they are comfortable enough in the hand

Latest posts