• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Teebird vs Striker

Pwingles

* Ace Member *
Is there a need to have both or are they pretty much filling the same slot (that's what she said), are they worth trying or is the teebird superior?

The teebird has more HSS with similar LSS. That being said, if you have a mortal arm, then a Striker will suffice in 95% of the situations where you would have to mash a Teebird.

I would tip my hat towards the teebird if you're looking for one mold for all the shots.

Although the striker has it on distance potential, the teebird holds up to wind better and in my opinion locks into a line rather than S curving making it better in the woods.

I would definitely give the striker and p pd a try if you like the teebird. They are both a little different and it will be nice to see which one compliments your throw the most.

I've just about made the change from teebirds to strikers...

the opto plastic flies a bit more like eagles for me and the GL plastic is much more like a teebird. The main difference between strikers to teebirds/eagles is the distance (striker being longer).

The only reason I haven't made the full switch is that lat 64 plastic doesn't offer much for bright colors yet...as soon as I see some dayglow strikers I'll have my teebirds up for trade.

Trey133 said:
Although the striker has it on distance potential, the teebird holds up to wind better and in my opinion locks into a line rather than S curving making it better in the woods.

People keep saying this but the strikers I've thrown (6 different ones, 2 different plastics) all lock into lines just as well as a champ teebird.

The striker has a bit less HSS, but adjusting your hyzerflip makes for an easy transition to this disc. (I know, I threw TBs for about 3 years, just made the change to strikers a few months ago)

Speaking as someone who adores the Striker and the Teebird, I carry both with me all the time. I can tell you all from personal experience that when I'm looking at a hole that is 350-380 range, I look down in my bag and I ask myself "Striker or Teebird?". 99% of all situations where I want a fairway driver, they are interchangable.

I don't see a definitive distance advantage of one over the other. Typically I find the Striker is a little longer but the 10-20' more distance I get out of it REALLY doesn't matter in the big picture. I love how they both feel, I like both flights, and they yield similar enough results that you really don't need both.

In the same throw the Striker does have a more pronounced S flight than the Teebird. Some people say that makes it more workable, whatever. Just like everything else it really comes down to personal preference.

I was having a similar discussion with Hoey the other day. I was telling him how excited I am for Latitudes new slower speed fairway driver and Hoey's response was "Meh, I don't really see a spot in my bag for it". I promptly responded with "You don't carry a leopard or a JLS or something to that effect?". Which of course, he does. In fact, most people do. THAT'S the spot for it in your bag, its not necessarily better than option A, its just an alternative to option A, which some people will inevitably prefer. This goes for the Striker, or the Riot, or the XXX, the Halo, etc...

optowesome said:
I would definitely give the striker and p pd a try if you like the teebird. They are both a little different and it will be nice to see which one compliments your throw the most.

Yep, it depends on your arm, course, and climate.

I like the finish glide of the Striker over the TB, and Opto's durability/all-weather grip is The Best. I have 2 early runs which are pale, and a newer very rich blue which is higher PLH (at least got me thru fall).

PD seems to have a bit HSS over the Striker in either form. Esp once the P PD seasons a bit, the finish fwd glide is mighty fine. S PD is always a bit beefier.

For me, the Striker for shots threatening to bash trees close, and P PD may be the combo I settle on this spring.

victorb said:
Trey133 said:

People keep saying this but the strikers I've thrown (6 different ones, 2 different plastics) all lock into lines just as well as a champ teebird.

The striker has a bit less HSS, but adjusting your hyzerflip makes for an easy transition to this disc. (I know, I threw TBs for about 3 years, just made the change to strikers a few months ago)

I think people keep saying it because its true.

RS39 said:
optowesome said:

Yep, it depends on your arm, course, and climate.

I like the finish glide of the Striker over the TB, and Opto's durability/all-weather grip is The Best. I have 2 early runs which are pale, and a newer very rich blue which is higher PLH (at least got me thru fall).

PD seems to have a bit HSS over the Striker in either form. Esp once the P PD seasons a bit, the finish fwd glide is mighty fine. S PD is always a bit beefier.

For me, the Striker for shots threatening to bash trees close, and P PD may be the combo I settle on this spring.

I actually think the Striker and the PD would compliment each other fairly well for Fairway workhorse.

Trey133 said:
victorb said:
Trey133 said:

/dick

When I saw the title of this thread, the first thing that came to mind was

"Fight! Fight!"

People always want a "TeeBird Killer". I haven't thrown a Striker yet(because TeeBirds do exactly what I want them to) so I wont hate. But the TeeBird is still the premier stable Fairway Driver in my opinion. The Striker has good reviews on DGR bu its the new kid on the block though so we'll have to wait and see.

The Teebird is a great disc in all available plastics. I prefer the champ and dx. The Eagle is a great disc. I prefer star and dx. The Striker is a great disc. I have 2 in opto. The Power Driver is a great disc. I have 3, 2 P's and 1 S. To me the Striker is a faster Eagle and the PD is a faster Teebird. Out of those 4 molds, I throw the PD's, on golf lines, the farthest. So, in my bag I carry PD's and Eagles.

My Strikers started out pretty stable, very Teebirdish... straight with reliable fade. Now, when released flat they travel laterally a good 20-25' on a good clean pull while maintaining their reliable fade. Very workable.

If I were to only carry 1 of those molds, I would choose the Eagle. But I'd probably carry 6 of them... lol. If the Striker or PD came in a dx type base plastic the choice would be different.

So, in summation, the answer is, yes. You can carry just a Striker or just a Teebird and be fine. DX Teebirds are very workable once seasoned up.

Just don't limit yourself if you don't have to. And be sure to throw a PD this season.

For me the Striker is a tad less HSS (like others have said) and smidgeon more LSS than the Teebird, so it has more left-right-left play in general. Sure, you can compensate for this by hyzer flipping, if you're comfortable with that...still more fade though. That being said, the Striker is very controllable and predictable for me. I do like that aspect, but I can't ever say I really like the way it flies for me in general...

The biggest difference for me, and the reason that I'll be going back to Teebirds eventually, is the completely different rim feel. The Striker's inside rim slopes outward in radius from the flight plate up to the nose. I.e., the Striker's inner rim makes an obtuse angle with the under side of the flight plate. On the other hand, the Teebird's inner rim makes more of a right angle with the flight plate. The Striker outward slope of the inner rim seems designed for fingers to more easily slip off. It might actually make it fly a tad faster than the Teebird, but the rim feel is more important to me (I do, after all, have long range drivers, so I'm not really looking for extra distance in a fairway driver). The Opto plastic is super awesome, but its extra stickiness does not compensate for this slopey inner rim factor.

Others are probably perfectly comfortable throwing with a rim that slopes outward. Maybe I will one day, perhaps when my fingers become stronger.

tigel said:
Trey133 said:
victorb said:
Trey133 said:

/dick

Can't please everyone, hey great input btw Tigel. Really informative.

Trey133 said:
victorb said:
Trey133 said:

depends on what your throwing style is. I prefer a little more hyzer flip for control shots, which is why the striker works better for me, and I have no problems locking it into lines. I can still throw it for good controlled distance (375ish) if necessary.

So, while it may be true for you, it may not be true for the next guy.

oh and btw, your sig is showing your fanboy.

victorb said:
Trey133 said:
victorb said:
Trey133 said:

depends on what your throwing style is. I prefer a little more hyzer flip for control shots, which is why the striker works better for me, and I have no problems locking it into lines. I can still throw it for good controlled distance (375ish) if necessary.

So, while it may be true for you, it may not be true for the next guy.

oh and btw, your sig is showing your fanboy.

I completely understand your rationale behind different throwing styles and how with more hyzer one could flip up the striker into a flat position. I'm big on letting the disc do the work, and release every disc slightly hyzered as that is what is most natural. Where you are finding success with the Striker I'm sure a lot of people are too, but your statement against "most people" saying that it has more side to side play than a teebird based on your throw I felt was a little close minded. There are outliers to every average (you are one of the outliers I guess) but on average, the Striker has more side to side play than a teebird... and the vast majority of people saying that (who all don't throw the same as you or I) only adds to the fact that even with different throwing styles and power outputs, the striker doesn't lock a line like a teebird.

My first comment wasn't meant to be disrespectful, but I see now how it could be taken that way as its far too blunt. My apologies.

As for the fanboy statement, you got me pinned. I live 1hr and 45min from Innova East and I can hand pick what plastic I want to have in my bag. There is also nobody who has done more for Disc golf in the carolinas than Innova. They practically have a free loan program with the Charlotte Disc Golf Club for new courses, plastic, collectibles, boosters and the sort. I am not a fanboy in the sense though that I will deter people from buying other brand discs out of sheer ignorance, in every review of a disc that is compared to one I know, I give my honest assessment.

Trey133 said:
My first comment wasn't meant to be disrespectful, but I see now how it could be taken that way as its far too blunt. My apologies.

Apology accepted.