• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Teebird why NOT

frennis524

Par Member
So is it just me or does anybody else enjoy the fact the teebird doesn't fight an anhyzer. I feel it makes the disc more versatile. I know it is the best for straight and can hyzer, but it really shines when you throw it anhyzer because it won't pop out early you just need to throw the right line.

Ah yes, the innova equivalent of the X Pred; two of the best discs on the DG scene.

Right before I lost the damn thing I was throwing a beat in 1st Run Pro Teebird for those "backwards hyzer" annies for when I needed to approach all the way around obstacles 250' or so and still have legs to scoot in there by the pin. The Teebird flies like a Roc or something. It's a great mold once you learn it.

My 170 champ teebird will s curve very nicely. I think my star teebird needs to get a little seasoned before it will do that. The eagle x holds a longer anhyzer for me and will fade back harder from it as well. I usually go to my eagle for anhyzer fairway shots before I go to my teebird.

The only thing about the Teebird I think about is champion or star, I throw star, but I'm not sure of the exact difference in the flight, as the only champ I have is very beat. Typically champion seems to fly and finish less stable, but it could have been due to a number of exceptions. I haven't taken the time to look and see if the mold comes out differently between the two, domier or the like. I'm still sort of on the fence about it.

frennis524 said:
but it really shines when you throw it anhyzer because it won't pop out early you just need to throw the right line.
The issue is that it's difficult to control the turn. There are certain, specific turnover lines that the Teebird will do, but other discs will do those lines just as well and they'll also do many other lines just as easily. It's not that they won't do any turnover lines, it's that they're almost never the best disc for a turnover line.

garublador said:
frennis524 said:
but it really shines when you throw it anhyzer because it won't pop out early you just need to throw the right line.
The issue is that it's difficult to control the turn. There are certain, specific turnover lines that the Teebird will do, but other discs will do those lines just as well and they'll also do many other lines just as easily. It's not that they won't do any turnover lines, it's that they're almost never the best disc for a turnover line.

I agree with this assesment. It is easy to underthrow (causing it to come out early) or overthrow (casuing it to crash or go too far right) an anhyzer with the TeeBird.

I favor anhyzer routes generally, and I like eagle-x for this shot because they willingly turn (-1 HSS) but never crash right or roll (+3 LSS). I'd say an anny Eagle-x is one of the most reliable and accurate shots in disc golf.

Incidentally, I think grip is especially important for anhyzer throws, so I favor DX or similar plastic no matter what disc I'm throwing. It makes a big difference.

Spinach D said:
garublador said:
frennis524 said:

I agree with this assesment. It is easy to underthrow (causing it to come out early) or overthrow (casuing it to crash or go too far right) an anhyzer with the TeeBird.

I favor anhyzer routes generally, and I like eagle-x for this shot because they willingly turn (-1 HSS) but never crash right or roll (+3 LSS). I'd say an anny Eagle-x is one of the most reliable and accurate shots in disc golf.

Incidentally, I think grip is especially important for anhyzer throws, so I favor DX or similar plastic no matter what disc I'm throwing. It makes a big difference.

I have to modify this a bit. I have actually been throwing a 175 Star Teebird anny quite a bit this week. It ends up consitently about 10-20 ft to the right of my Star Eagle.

My previous experience was based on a beat 170 glow teebird and a 168 champ teebird, neither of which performed consitently.

I used to throw only Eagles, but since I started throwing both the Star TeeBird and the Star Eagle, my score has gone down about 2 strokes per 18 holes.

Spinach D said:
Spinach D said:
garublador said:
frennis524 said:

I have to modify this a bit. I have actually been throwing a 175 Star Teebird anny quite a bit this week. It ends up consitently about 10-20 ft to the right of my Star Eagle.

My previous experience was based on a beat 170 glow teebird and a 168 champ teebird, neither of which performed consitently.

I used to throw only Eagles, but since I started throwing both the Star TeeBird and the Star Eagle, my score has gone down about 2 strokes per 18 holes.

what shots do you use each for?
like when would you use the eagle over the tbird? and viseversa?

Teebird = Straight
Eagle = Everything Else

Not sure that's what Spinach is doing, but when I have both in my bag, that's my game plan with those 2 disc.

I just added fifth Teebird to my bag, since I dropped Valks off. They're my only fairway drivers, I feel like I can handle every shot I need with them. I've never thrown an Eagle, so I might check these things out.

I just picked up a Star eagle due to all the recent talk about them here. I hadn't thrown one quite a few years. It was a nice disc, but it wasn't a Teebird. I am able to work a line better with a TB. It may be because I have a lot of practice with them. I also have some seasoned 10x and Star TBs that fly about like an Eagle, so I just use those. Its one of those preference things.

Just came home from a field training session. I threw mostly Teebirds, and I can work any line with them, at least on the field. Hyzers, anhyzers, straights, hyzerflips, flat hyzers, with fade, without fade, right fade.. Teebirds rock. I see no need to add any more molds. My bag now: 4*firebird, 4*teerex, 5*teebird, 4*roc, 3*aviar. I think it's pretty solid.

Now, all I need is time for training, and it isn't that easy to organize :(

I agree with DGDave.
I have been throwing both Eagle X's and Teebirds recently. I'm finding too much overlap to keep them both in the bag right now. I'm still throwing them alot, though, to see what wear does to them. I think they are both GREAT discs and I would feel comfy with either of them in my bag. Right now the Teebird is seeing more throw time but that's because I just bought 5 DX's (5 discs for $26 @ GGGT). I think I might slightly favor the Eagle X. When they come out in regular production DX I will probably get 5 of those, too.

marmoset said:
I agree with DGDave.
I have been throwing both Eagle X's and Teebirds recently. I'm finding too much overlap to keep them both in the bag right now. I'm still throwing them alot, though, to see what wear does to them. I think they are both GREAT discs and I would feel comfy with either of them in my bag. Right now the Teebird is seeing more throw time but that's because I just bought 5 DX's (5 discs for $26 @ GGGT). I think I might slightly favor the Eagle X. When they come out in regular production DX I will probably get 5 of those, too.

I thought that my 166 Star Eagle X was very much like a Teebird with the flashing on the disc. After sanding the flashing off it became better than a TB for straight line performance. It seems to glide a bit more fades later, less and flies farther. At equal weights. For late fade it does require some oomph and a low line drive (which requires more initial hyzer than a TB). I get about 1-2' of fade including sliding on the ground on the best 340' sub 8' high line drives. Usually I get less than 4' of fade on those distances.

What I most like about the *Eagle X 166 light blue is that it is more resistant to flipping and wind than my beat to straight TB weighing 9 grams more. And straighter than equally HSS TB. Eagle requires less snap and/or distance to stay straight than TB. After the flashing is removed. No tuning required. Goodness from day one without the need to wait for wearing as long as flashing is removed and no need for PDGA prohibited tuning.

uNicedmeMan said:
Spinach D said:
Spinach D said:
garublador said:
frennis524 said:

what shots do you use each for?
like when would you use the eagle over the tbird? and viseversa?

Bascially, if I need more fade at the end, I use the Star Eagle. That could be meaningful on a variety of lines (low hyzer with lots of skip, flat to fade, long anhyzers, high anhyzers that flex back right at the end). It is also better for thumbers.

The Star TeeBird hardly fades at all, so I use it for shots where I don't want fade. It pretty much holds the line you throw it on.

I use them both a lot. Sometimes to get to different places; sometimes to get to the same places by different lines. Overall, I'm starting to use the TeeBird a little bit more.

Spinach D said:
Bascially, if I need more fade at the end, I use the Star Eagle. That could be meaningful on a variety of lines (low hyzer with lots of skip, flat to fade, long anhyzers, high anhyzers that flex back right at the end). It is also better for thumbers.

The Star TeeBird hardly fades at all, so I use it for shots where I don't want fade. It pretty much holds the line you throw it on.

Hmm... Exactly opposite of what I've found about 166 *Eagle X without the flashing. With flashing I agree with the above analysis. Except it takes a lot of snap to make a TB fly fadeless or a flippy trashed TB.

I am talking about 175 g in Star plastic for both.

I think the star teebirds have less fade than most champ teebirds, but ihave not owned many of either.

Latest posts