• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

that one annoying guy that keeps on winning

BenBVDiscGolf

so at our course here in smithers bc http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=2100
we have a small disc golf community(aprox 25-30 players)
we had our annual championship yesterday and just like the previous year the same player won the tournament(24holes) with a -4. The fact that he has won the tourney several times is not my concern. what the problem is for me is the way he conducts himself throughout the season and at the tournament. He can not stop talking the entire round(s) walking everyone through his shot("oh i don't have a shot,better do this or that,ect....)passive agressive comments(after a player misses a shot"oh thats to bad....)in the past he has falsified scores(his son has also been accused of cheating) to top it off a recent round my friend was finishing out his round(looking at his best round for 24 at -4) and said d-bag comes behind him and shouts his name as he is putting, chaining out his putt. in the tourney yesterday i was finishing my round looking at a birdie putt. as we were the last group on the course said individual and one of his disciples(was in my card) decided that it would be a great opportunity near the basket to go over there entire round as i addressed my putt. after about 20 seconds over the putt and them still running the mouth, i stepped back from the putt and just stared at them for another 15 seconds eventually getting the cue to shut up.(missed the putt:(
Not only does he have poor courtesy the people he regularly play with are clones of him running there mouths the entire rounds.

so i guess just curious if others have had to deal with douche bag disc'ers and how they dealt with it.
i cant really ask him not to come to tournaments but he really drags down the people he plays with and doesn't add to the growth and courtesy that we would like the disc golf game to grow where we live.

thanks
ben.

When he does discourteous things, call him out on it. Guys like this do these things more often than not because people let them do it.

Play better than him.

That might work too.

As above, calling him out on his crap is probably the best approach. That being said, the best way to start calling him on it would not be to directly confront him about it, but be a bit more kind in the way in which you address him. And if that doesn't work, eventually a full blown confrontation might be the only option.

Of course, an immediate solution may be to get used to playing disc golf with earbuds in and music playing. That way you are able to get into your own world and other people talking near you would not affect you. This does take away the enjoying nature aspect of disc golf, but would be a pretty immediate solution to minimize the issue

Sounds like he's in your head which is exactly what he wants. I bring music with ear buds when I have to play like this. I act like they don't exist.

Agree with all the options given. But maybe you should also talk with the TD and let that person know, so they can be on the lookout for that. But the one option that I always prefer is to confront said D-Bag and verbally drop the hammer on them.

Don't take the game so serious, then you won't let every little fly bother you when putting. I am also going to guess this one here but you likely have a long routine when putting. I personally know of 3 players who have issues with an small movement when they putt, none are good putters and let little things get in their heads and have 20+ second putting routines. Focus on the target and putt within a few seconds of setting up. It has done wonders for this guy, many top pros such as Cam Todd, Jeremy Koling and Michael Johansen putt very fast. Get used to things like that during rec rounds as well, if your struggling with it maybe start putting when a friend is walking away so you get used to movements when putting.

If pros at major events waited til fans stopped moving, they would never be able to putt

Do basket ball players expect the entire stadium to be quiet and still when they make free throws? Do quarterbacks or place kickers demand silence at the snap? Ever been to a soccer match? It's mayhem during a penalty kick! Why do Golfers (ball and Disc) think the world should stop while they perform? I don't get all bent out of shape if a couple of other players have a normal conversation or scratch an itch while I'm on the tee box or putting out. Guess I'm just not a serious golfer.

Penalty strokes for player conduct and not giving into his mind games would be a good start. I played with a guy that is a compulsive liar for several league rounds and eventually adopted headphones and calling him on his lies.

as the the co td for the tournament i gave a lengthy player meeting talking about courtesy,proper scoring, being behind the line of play,excessvie foul language ect(which to a certain degree was brought up as a result of his past play(other players have brought this up as a concern playing with him)...he was at the meeting but obviously didn't care to much for the tournament protocol. i think the waiting for him to stop bull****ing on my putt was more to the effect of him not following courtesy. i have played with headphones before but its tough to get ask everyone that plays with him to wear headphones. So i guess going forward ill just start calling him out on it, and play better then him.

thanks for the comments.

ben.

Be thankful you only have one of "that guy." Most clubs have numerous people like this due to the growth of the sport. If he is cheater and raising his child to cheat, he will most likely be called out in an embarrassing manner. The lack of self awareness, lack of social skills, passive aggressive attitude, entitlement and arrogance by a few (I have seen this more by rec and club players recently who do not have the guts to play sanctioned tournaments but talk like they are the greatest players on earth) has really turned me off over the past year. Just remember for every jerk you meet in the sport, there are thousands of good people out there that play who have a positive outlook on life.

Do basket ball players expect the entire stadium to be quiet and still when they make free throws? Do quarterbacks or place kickers demand silence at the snap? Ever been to a soccer match? It's mayhem during a penalty kick! Why do Golfers (ball and Disc) think the world should stop while they perform? I don't get all bent out of shape if a couple of other players have a normal conversation or scratch an itch while I'm on the tee box or putting out. Guess I'm just not a serious golfer.

Golf and disc golf etiquette is different than the sports you listed. Just because you don't mind it doesn't mean that others don't either.

Take a look at 801.04 C below

801.04 Courtesy
Last updated: Monday, December 24, 2012 - 18:20
A. Players should not throw until they are certain that the thrown disc will not distract another player or potentially injure anyone present.
B. Players should watch the other members of their group throw in order to aid in locating errant throws and to ensure compliance with the rules.
C. Players should take care not to produce any auditory or visual distractions while other players are throwing. Distracting actions include: shouting, cursing, freestyling, striking course equipment, throwing out of turn, throwing or kicking golf bags, throwing minis, and advancing on the fairway beyond the away player. Shouting at an appropriate time to warn someone in danger of being struck by a disc is not a courtesy violation.
D. Refusal to perform an action expected by the rules, such as assisting in the search for a lost disc, moving discs or equipment, or keeping score properly, is a courtesy violation.
E. Littering is a courtesy violation.
F. Courtesy dictates that players who smoke should not allow their smoke to disturb other players. Disposing of a cigarette butt by dropping it on the ground is littering.
G. A player violating a courtesy rule may be warned by any affected player, even if from another group, or by an official. The player shall be assessed one penalty throw for each subsequent courtesy violation of any type in the same round. Repeated violations of courtesy rules may result in disqualification in accordance with Section 3.3 of the Competition Manual.

OP, I would start by giving the players a warning and follow with penalty strokes. There's a reason these rules exist.

Last edited:
i think the waiting for him to stop bull****ing on my putt was more to the effect of him not following courtesy.

A situation like that one would have been a perfect time to tell him point-blank to STFU. Probably more effective than passive-aggressively staring him down until he quieted. Just be assertive with the guy. Like I said before, he does a lot of the things you describe because you (collectively) let him get away with it.

The reminders in the players meeting is also too passive aggressive to be effective. It's a good thing to remind players of things like courtesy and such, but if the intent is to get a particular player to comply, you're better off addressing him directly to make sure he gets the message.

I suppose I'm "that guy". So are most of the guys in the group I play in. We never play in tournaments because the guys in tournaments take themselves way too seriously and are just not having fun. They complain about just about anything when they don't play well/lose.

I play disc golf to have fun.

If this offends you... sorry about that.

Golf is for gentlemen. Not hooligans. You don't have to mind noise, you just have to be quiet for the people that do.

I suppose I'm "that guy". So are most of the guys in the group I play in. We never play in tournaments because the guys in tournaments take themselves way too seriously and are just not having fun. They complain about just about anything when they don't play well/lose.

Then is it too much to ask that you respect the rules while you play in a group?
Also, why do you feel the need to "cheat" on your score card?
Even if it's a league, people like to do the best they can.

If you're not playing tournaments, you're not "that guy" and you're not going to offend anyone (and if people are offended by you/your style in non-tournament situations, that's their problem).

What makes "that guy" that guy is that he's playing tournament/competitive rounds while acting like the rules of courtesy and etiquette don't apply to him. What often makes "that guy" that guy is that he'll act like that when others are throwing, but get upset when others do it to him when he's throwing.

And you're wrong about the players in tournaments not having fun. 99% of us are, even the complainers. Why else would we be out there if not to have fun? Just because it might not be your brand of fun doesn't mean it isn't fun for anybody.

Golf is for gentlemen. Not hooligans. You don't have to mind noise, you just have to be quiet for the people that do.

The group of guys that I play in aren't "hooligans". We will quiet down when asked. I can't remember anyone asking. We don't shout, curse, etc. We do talk. All the time. We're there to spend time with friends, BS and have fun. Cheating is not even considered (we're old guys - it's no fun to brag about winning if you had to cheat to do it).

To the OP - lighten up, enjoy playing your round. What others do shouldn't be an issue. Bring something with you to distract you in the long, long, long waits between shots while playing tourneys. What others on the card do is not a concern of yours, because when you concern yourself with them... we get this thread.

If you don't know when to be quiet in disc golf during tournaments or casually then you are an idiot. You should never have to be asked to be quiet.