• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

that one annoying guy that keeps on winning

The group of guys that I play in aren't "hooligans". We will quiet down when asked. I can't remember anyone asking. We don't shout, curse, etc. We do talk. All the time. We're there to spend time with friends, BS and have fun. Cheating is not even considered (we're old guys - it's no fun to brag about winning if you had to cheat to do it).

To the OP - lighten up, enjoy playing your round. What others do shouldn't be an issue. Bring something with you to distract you in the long, long, long waits between shots while playing tourneys. What others on the card do is not a concern of yours, because when you concern yourself with them... we get this thread.

DId you even read the first post? The guy and his buddies think its funny to shout, act like asshats, when other people are trying to concentrate on their shot. If that's what you are doing, then you should be reminded not to behave like a juvenile. I'm not sure why anyone would stick up for the guy who is acting like a dbag? Believe it or not, but there are some people who are impossible to ignore.

When playing in a rowdy group that is oblivious to everyone but themselves I will introduce myself in a loud tone before every shot with: "Quiet on the set!" or "I'm ready for my close up Mr. Demille!" or "...out of nowhere.. Cinderella story... at Augusta...." or "I have gathered you all here, because one of you is... the murderer!"(this one is especially good should everyone be standing around the basket, staring at me, talking to each other as I'm about to putt). Really just anything to let them know I'm throwing and I would appreciate quiet. Other than that I just don't play with those types and tell them why, should they ask. Also- playing in tournaments doesn't run counter to enjoying one self, or at least it shouldn't. Quite the opposite really.

Its fine to play outside of the rules when ur not in a tourney. When u play in a tourney u should respect the rules and other players. Even if its leagues u should try and play within the rules. If your playin against others for money or prizes or titles, then u should respect the rules.

Grow up, typical DB response eegor "if u dont like it, its ur problem"

Its just common courtesy to be mindful of other players. Not everyone concentrates and has the same attitude as u. The rules are there to give everyone a fair chance at enjoying themselves and being competitive.

Learn how to fart on demand.
Do so every time it's his turn.

Every time.

It amazes me when people won't man-up on the course, but will whine on a forum.

Last edited:
make a shirt that reads (his name) #1 fan. any time he does good clap and cheer. when he does bad get real upset and disappointed . trust me, this will get his brain so clustered he will start playing like poo.

To me it's different when there is crowd noise in the other sports mentioned. When someone abruptly makes a noise or movement is what messes with you. Which is why in football the o line can't make any sudden movements or yell before the snap. I loved the 2012 Ryder Cup when Bubba Watson and then in return Ian Poulter encouraged the crowd to go crazy when they were on the first tee, Happy Gilmore style. Golf would be so much more exciting with crowd noise and cheering during play.

I suggest reenacting the scene from the original "The Longest Yard" when Burt Reynolds as quarterback takes the hike , steps back , and fires the ball into the defensive guy's balls. Repeat as needed.

This is a risky proposition as it could easily backfire. On a separate note, when playing casually with friends, I encourage my cardmates to move around and talk.

So much yes, on both points!! When i play tourneys i could care less what is happening around me, you can do jumping jacks behind the basket and it litterally will not affect me. hell most times i am talking during my putt so when you do it does not bother me.

We specifically play this way in casual rounds in order to prepare for the asshats that don't know how to shut up or where to stand in organized play.

If outside influences affect you that much your mental game is weak and you need to step it up.

As others have said as well, say something to them and enforce the rules, other than that whining on a forum will not help your cause.

General/Application of the Rules:

801.01.F said:
F. A rules violation that results in one or more penalty throws may be called by any player in the group, or by an official. If called by a player, it must then be seconded by another player in the group.

So much yes, on both points!! When i play tourneys i could care less what is happening around me, you can do jumping jacks behind the basket and it litterally will not affect me. hell most times i am talking during my putt so when you do it does not bother me.

We specifically play this way in casual rounds in order to prepare for the asshats that don't know how to shut up or where to stand in organized play.

If outside influences affect you that much your mental game is weak and you need to step it up.

As others have said as well, say something to them and enforce the rules, other than that whining on a forum will not help your cause.

You say that you practice with distractions, then you go on to say that if you cant handle distractions, you must be mentally weak. Hmmm...

General/Application of the Rules:

I believe 801.04 G is what would apply in this situation

801.04 G said:
A player violating a courtesy rule may be warned by any affected player, even if from another group, or by an official. The player shall be assessed one penalty throw for each subsequent courtesy violation of any type in the same round. Repeated violations of courtesy rules may result in disqualification in accordance with Section 3.3 of the Competition Manual.

You say that you practice with distractions, then you go on to say that if you cant handle distractions, you must be mentally weak. Hmmm...
Why doesn't that make sense? He's practicing with distractions to improve his mental game.

Don't take the game so serious, then you won't let every little fly bother you when putting. I am also going to guess this one here but you likely have a long routine when putting. I personally know of 3 players who have issues with an small movement when they putt, none are good putters and let little things get in their heads and have 20+ second putting routines. Focus on the target and putt within a few seconds of setting up.

If pros at major events waited til fans stopped moving, they would never be able to putt

Do basket ball players expect the entire stadium to be quiet and still when they make free throws? Do quarterbacks or place kickers demand silence at the snap? Ever been to a soccer match? It's mayhem during a penalty kick! Why do Golfers (ball and Disc) think the world should stop while they perform?
There's a bit of difference between dealing with background noise (both visual and auditory) that you can't do much about, and can generally learn to acclimate to, and people on your card making sudden noises/movement at precisely the wrong moment who know you're not acclimated to it and should know better than to do that.

Latest posts