• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] The Challenger,KC Pro Aviar or the Wizard?

Challenger,KC Pro Aviar or the Wizard,which would you pick?

• Discraft Challenger

Votes: 34 16.6%
  • Innova KC Pro Aviar

Votes: 67 32.7%
  • Gateway Wizard

Votes: 104 50.7%

• Total voters

StarFirebird

Banned
I've been pondering this for a few days now.

Lets say you had to choose one of these putters. Which one would you pick and why? The Discraft Challenger,The Innova KC Pro Aviar or The Gateway Wizard?

i chose the wizard over the others because it has more glide, more high speed stability, and has the bullet nose (preferred for driving). It also comes in any plastic you can imagine, some will tell you that's a bad thing, but they're just being silly.

MVP Ion. ;)

Ok, ok. Of those, I pick the Wizard, for Gateway's sweet, supple, made to perfection plastic choices. Plus the Wiz flies pretty well too. :)

Edit: Yea, Kaiser has it right about the plastics. The more choices the merrier.

I use wizards now because I can't get kc pro in that wonderful chalky firm plastic anymore... All the newer kc pros are waxy or similar to yeti plastic. I'm talking the stuff that makes that "hollow" sound when it hits the chains. Similar to a good soft wizard.

Wizard all the way. They season so amazingly tasty. The challenger/aviar cost $30 bucks a piece for gateway-esque plastic. Wizards can be had at a fraction of the cost in every feel, color and grip

It all comes down to personal preference and what you want to use it for.
Absolutely love my FLX Challenger for upshots and short holes - gets more use than any other disc in my bag (really) - but it's too OS for my putting style, so I putt with an APX.
That said, I've seen guys who are deadly in the circle with a Pro D Challenger... works for their putting style: banging chains with authority.

If I were forced to carry only a single putter, I'd have to go with something that wasn't quite as OS as a Challenger to enhance my performance in the circle, yet still have some overstability so I could use it for short tee shots and upshots... sounds a helluva lot like a Wizard to me.

More than any other type of dis, putters are about "feel" and what works for you, and less about technique and "the numbers." Obviously, Wizards work for a lot of people.

Given all that, I didn't vote. :|

Last edited:
i chose the wizard over the others because it has more glide, more high speed stability, and has the bullet nose (preferred for driving). It also comes in any plastic you can imagine, some will tell you that's a bad thing, but they're just being silly.

FWIW - from the ones I've thrown, I'd say Challengers have greater HSS than Wizards.

KC Pro Aviar. It's what I use now. Challengers and Wizards are fantastic as well, but I don't like the bullet nose of the Wizard and Pro-D just feels terrible to me.

To me it depends on what you're using it for. If you're driving a putter, I'd probably vote Wizard 9:10 times. But for putting and finesse up shots, I like my Challengers.
I've owned at least 50 wizards and not 2 of them have been the same. I got frustrated when I couldn't find duplicates of what I liked. So, I tried Aviars and wasn't a huge fan. Then I moved to the Challengers and haven't looked back

To me it depends on what you're using it for. If you're driving a putter, I'd probably vote Wizard 9:10 times. But for putting and finesse up shots, I like my Challengers.
I've owned at least 50 wizards and not 2 of them have been the same. I got frustrated when I couldn't find duplicates of what I liked. So, I tried Aviars and wasn't a huge fan. Then I moved to the Challengers and haven't looked back

I've never thrown a Wizard so I can't attest to this claim. I do have 7 KC Pro Aviars and each one is exactly the same. Putting is all about consistency for me & I love the firmness and feel of KC Pro plastic.

Aviar, even though I don't care for it in KC plastic (heretic, I know. Too slick a feel for me. Now JK or Yeti, I'm there.)

Anyway, I'm not a fan of Wizards because they are too tall at 1.8 cm. My hand just seems to have a hard time getting a good grip, regardless of grip style.

I'm not a huge fan of Challengers for the same reason - feel - but can't remember the specific objection to them I had.

Of the 3, challenger, just can't get into the wizards
too deep and I don't do well with beads
About to start cleaning up my wizards to sell or trade (or give away!)

Of the 3, challenger, just can't get into the wizards
too deep and I don't do well with beads
About to start cleaning up my wizards to sell or trade (or give away!)

I would take those off your hands.

I putt with a Wizard. I picked the Wizard. Lots of reasons; all 3 are nicely overstable. The Wizard comes in more plastic options. A few of which I'm really a fan of. Maybe the most important reason, though, is every time I play Ozark Mountain I come away with 4+ Wizards.

i voted kc aviar. however i might be trying out a flx challenger soon. the kc pro current run is kinda horse****. its good hard plastic but if it hits the hole # plate there is a massive ding in it. it dings up worse than my dx to be honest. it feels good and i like the mold but if they made it more durable with more grip i would buy 5 of em. until then i think im seeking out a different slightly os putter

I picked the KC Aviar, its what I currently use for putting. I like putters that are hard/stiff & with a bead so its perfect for me. I follow the belief that soft/floppy putters don't come out of your hands as consistently as hard putters. Feldbeard said this is true & I've found it to be true in my experience also. If I had to choose a different putter it would be the Wizard.

Pretty much they are all the same disc, its all about the plastic. KC is the best to me so thats what I use. But I did use wizrds for a few years and when I made the switch to the aviar I felt as though they did not drop out of the air as quickly while putting.

Challengers, they are simply the only putter I will ever throw. Not because any of the other putters arent awesome but for me.... Challengers go in! Cam Todd challengers! Stiff buttery perfection. Put a little spin on them and Boom next hole.