• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] The Challenger,KC Pro Aviar or the Wizard?

Challenger,KC Pro Aviar or the Wizard,which would you pick?

• Discraft Challenger

Votes: 34 16.6%
  • Innova KC Pro Aviar

Votes: 67 32.7%
  • Gateway Wizard

Votes: 104 50.7%

• Total voters
I started the thread so I'll finally give my opinion.

I've used all 3 but if I had to choose 1 it would be a Gateway Wizard.

The KC Pro's are great and I can putt with them,but I have too many spits outs and sometimes the deep rim can get to my arthritis.

The Challengers are good too,but the same thing happened to me with my hand. They stuck good for me it's just my hand sucks. lol

Wizards are the perfect Depth for me and they are great putters. I really really like a beat to death Wizard as a Putter so I use Voodoo's now. That's pretty much what the Voodoo putts like is a beat to Death Wizard for me. If Gateway didn't make a Voodoo I would be using Wizards hands down.

With all of the plastic choices you get from Gateway you can't beat that either.

If you're going to call gateway variety of suregrip as a positive, you can't then call Innova's different runs (i.e. 10x KC, 11x KC, etc.) a negative.

Variety is variety, and all 3 companies in this poll have it.

I do consider that negative and I'll tell you why. You can easily find incredible feeling gateway putters off the shelf for standard prices. Older runs of Innova will almost always cost you a truly ridiculous amount of money (2x or likely a lot more). If buying all the older run Innova discs you need doesn't put a dent your expendable income then my argument is invalid but gateway is probably the highest value option of the three for people with limited expendable income. I love a good old (or new) aviar by the way.

I've already discussed the differences between S and SSS. I also never "bashed innova's QC".

You don't see the difference between S, Chalky, and ER? S is grippy, Chalky is smooth, ER is velvety. Very different, and they all catch different parts of the chains better/worse.

I don't know much about Aviars (don't think I said I don't know much about Challengers), but I have been disc shopping before. There's usually a stack of 20 Aviars from the same run that all feel the same. And it's not hard to go to the Innova website and see that beaded aviars are only in production in Star and Pro.

R-wood is common? I tried to find one to buy online, and came up empty. I didn't try exceptionally hard, but I can find an Eraser Wizard right now. Or an Evo, or SSS, or anything else.

I'm not saying there isn't a variety of Aviars out there. I'm saying I can't find and buy the variety of Aviars that I can Wizards.

Do you just read what you want to read in a given sentence? This post doesn't come close to addressing what I said.

I think it's simply a matter of personal opinion. Wizards are THE putter for me because there are so many different options to choose. They range from hard as a rock to pliable as a wet noodle. If grip is important to you, grab a Chalky or Eraser Wizard. Maybe you want something that will hold a straight line for a long approach or midrange-ish drives? Grab a Soft or Evolution Wizard. Want a beefy Wizard? Try the Medium. Basically, there is a wizard for any type of shot you'd take with a putter. I've haven't had any consistency problems, but I would't surprise me if someone else has. All Companies are guilty of it though. I carry a council of wizards in my bag and I couldn't be happier.

Pretty much they are all the same disc, its all about the plastic. KC is the best to me so thats what I use. But I did use wizrds for a few years and when I made the switch to the aviar I felt as though they did not drop out of the air as quickly while putting.

This is my exact thoughts. I still have wizards in my practice basket and i feel like they just sink compared to Kc pro Aviars

KC Aviar- It doesn't drop and roll like the wizard.

Get a wizard in softer plastic.

I vote wizard because of the plastic choices as many people have mentioned. The season nicely. You can get an evo for a good OS or beat the heck out of sss for a nice straight flyer that will hold an anny.

If I had to choose one wizard I would say a $$$ in black or grey (they seem chalkier to me).

I would have to go with the wizard because of its stability and ability to drive with it. I putted with the wizard for several years and have just made the transition over to the judge. Same feel as the wizard but goes a little straighter with more glide. If the judge was on here id chose it, but given the choices- Wizard SS.

Excellent bump. I switched over to Soft Wizards for the winter because I only had white KC Pro Aviars and was able to snag a Wiz at PIAS for cheap. I've been pleased with the Wizard so far, I am digging the grip and flight is exactly what I want in a stable short range driver. I'll see if it stays in the bag once the snow melts.

I picked the KC Aviar because that's what I'm throwing now, but I've thrown them all and like them all. They are interchangeable. Just pick which one feels the best / name sounds the coolest / whatever gives you more street cred and go.

I have only thrown the KC, so it got my vote. Wouldn't mind trying the other two, but for now I'm happy with what I have.

JK aviar, so I guess I'd pick KC, but KC is too firm and spits out.
Wizard drops too much and no glide at all, but feels awesome for driving.
never tried a challenger

I'm using Wizards because I prefer the plastic, and they are great driving putters. KC Aviars definitely have more glide though. I still have my two yellow KC Aviars just in case...

wizard.

available in whatever flavor you savor. drives well, putts well, approaches well. i thought i needed a VP for windy days. i was wrong. i needed to throw my wizard better or disc up.

a good soft wizard is like the holy grail for me. you can find them in a slightly sticky, chalky feeling plastic that just STICKS to chains...but not so much as to produce spin-outs. the disc is hard so it just hits the chains, generates friction and drops into the basket. done.

i use the new slick run of blue ones for driving. they're bullet proof and after a couple rounds they get tacky while remaining just as firm. i also keep firm OG ones that are beefy.

the only question is . . . should i get all one run of wizard, the great feeling softs, and using them from driving to putting as a cycle? should i drive/approach with my blues and putt with my holy grail pinks/whites? should i treat my overstable firm OG's as rocs and cycle them? decisions, decisions . . . decisions that i just can't seem to make.

good soft wizards will always be available, so probably go with that.

regardless they all end up with a wizard in the bag one way or the other.

The bead on a challenger is pretty small, which is important to me since it's a deeper putter. I threw challengers for years before switching to judges. I've toyed with the wizard and kc aviar years ago, but not for very long due to both of them being very uncomfortable in my hand.