• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The first disc you pwned?

star beast. I could bomb that disc back when i used it. It is now out of the bag but was in there for a years

Dx Roc. The thing is...I feel I have a love/hate relationship with Rocs in general. I pwned with them...then I sucked with them...then I pwned with them...then i sucked. And this is only my second year playing.

Rhyno. Learned to really drive a putter with it and had some close calls with a few baskets. Switched to a Wizard, learned it even better, can hit a huge variety of lines between 0 and 330 feet with one now. For drivers I feel pretty solid with a Teebird.

169 DX Teebird. It was the first driver I bought after a 150 DX Leopard, and I still use it.

I could say 166g DX Roc. But I had been having success with a Shark before that.

Wizard or Gazelle. I switched to the wizard several years ago when I started trying to play a respectable game instead of just hoping every throw got me closer to the basket. It taught me much about controlling flight path and making clean power (still have a ways to go on that). Gazelle because it is the first driver I was really able to shape lines on. My first ace came on a Gazelle, with a handful of Wizard aces right behind it.

Still throwing the shit out of Wizards. The Gazelles got bumped out sometime after innova started making star Eagle-Xs. I can work pretty much the same lines with an Eagle-X as I can with a Gazelle, but they are a little longer and don't overlap as much distance-wise with my Rocs.

zj1002 said:
Champion Panther

best driver/mid for learning how to throw

this. Champ panther was my first mid/driver. For some reason me and that disc just clicked. Can't count how many fantastic shots I had with that before I lost it. Haven't bought one to replace it yet, but I'm tempted every time I see them.

viper. i had been throwing scorpions and stingrays when the viper became the hot new disc. i couldn't make it do anything special until eventually it broke in and got really workable, and i had to rotate in a new one. i could throw a lot of different shots with the new viper - beat viper combo.

I still remember the sunny morning in Santa Barbara 13 years ago when I threw my first successful anhyzer with a purple TP cyclone. I didn't park the hole, didn't birdie, but standing on the tee watching this shot float effortlessly towards the hidden basket (hole 13 at Evergreen in Goleta if anybody knows it), knowing that I did that intentionally, was just as good as when I discovered masturbation.

That feeling is what I try to replicate with every shot I take. Guess what I do when I get home after a bad round? :lol:

My first was a DX Firebird. I now love the Firebird. I got my first ace with a firebird and i use it for backhand, forehand , trick shots, rollers and thumbers. All around great disc!

My first disc i got dialed into was my champ monster. Just lost it a couple weeks ago lets just say I've moved on to cfr maxs and wont be going back to it anytime soon.

Bought a brand new champ Beast in '03 (old mold, obviously) when they were the hot new driver on the market. It was the first disc I actually paid money for. It was the only disc I played with for about a year, then picked up an Aviar, then a few years later picked up more discs. Either way, since I used the Beast for all my shots for a few years, I learned to throw it very well on pretty much any line.

No, I don't throw them anymore.

My friend actually still has that first Beast that I bought. I remember giving it to him when it got "too flippy" (read: I started strong arming everything).

The thread title made me think of a different question, like the first disc that you "crushed." For me it was a Z Surge, but it was a fluke. I was throwing those 200' rainbow hyzers but had been reading on here and watching better players and on one throw everything clicked and I bombed that Surge a good 340'. That was my first experience of throwing a disc that turned and came back and it was a thing of beauty and probably the moment I knew I was hooked on disc golf!

Lost that disc a few holes later, it was too much for me at that time anyway. So I picked up an Avenger SS which became my favorite disc and is the reason I got turned onto the Road Runner which I found to be more consistent and have been throwing ever since (3 years).

I haven't really mastered any discs but if I had to pick it would be the Firebird or Roadrunner, and I'm getting close to that feeling with PDs just need to practice in the field rather than the course some.

13 years ago my first disc was a Cyclone and within a few weeks I was beating and throwing as far as guys that had played for years. I only played with that and a soft magnet and did quite well somehow.

I stupidly took an 11 year or so hiatus from the sport, only returning full time about 15 months ago. I came back, could only find a Cyclone 2, sucked with it, and couldn't figure out why...only in coming here did I realize how different a Cyclone 2 is from the original. Shortly after I picked up a Z Surge SS and it still is the most consistantly accurate disc in my bag at long range. I'm coninually amazed at how far this disc goes with a low ceiling.

Latest posts